PDA

View Full Version : Hounds

calvin L
02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
This is just a quick post . A good friend of mine was able to kill a great cat on Wes. His best dog got beat up real bad . After 2 trips to the Vet 2 nights in a warm house . She has gone to hound heaven :frown:. Be carfull some cat's don't want to tree Try to get to the tree as fast as you can so this doesn't happen to anyone else . I will post pictures as I get them .

Calvin L

Poguebilt
02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
sorry for his loss...

at least the dog passed on doing what it loved to do

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hear.
How many was he running and how long were they at the tree before he got there ?

Spokerider
02-02-2008, 08:16 PM
That's a tough pill to swallow...... however, houndsmen know the risks and perils of pursuing game with dogs. It doesn't make it easy to take though, losing a cherished dog hurts either way you look at it.

Do you have details of the circumstances to share?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Calvin-Cougar Dean was walking a track just recently(yesterday or today) when he almost stepped on the cat. It only moved away very slowly and kept looking at him. The other guy was back at truck with the dogs. CD didn't have a rifle so he called back for the other guy to let the dogs go and bring the gun. The first dog caught up to the cat very quickly and the cat grabbed the dog by the head. C.D. had to give the cat a few kicks to get the cat to drop the dog. Then the cat awkwardly headed up the nearest tree. and it turned out that that the cougar was very skinny and had a broken back leg. Even though they have spent considerable time looking for a big cat they decided to burn a tag and put the cat down. It was only 6 1/2' long and very, very thin.

SSS

Spokerider
02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Kudo's to them for cutting their tag and saving the lion from yet more misery. I'm told there are a few reasons why a cat will not tree and rather stay put and fight, and obviously, having a busted leg would be one of them. Sounds like is was near-starving secondary to that leg injury.

It sucks to have *traded* his dog for a scrawny cat, but, how was he to know at the time?......

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2008, 10:50 AM
It sucks to have *traded* his dog for a scrawny cat, but, how was he to know at the time?......

The one I mentioned was different than the incident Calvin mentioned.
That one was a huge cat!!!

The dog that tangled with the skinny cat is fine.

SSS

Barracuda
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
sad to hear , it is in the back of the mind for every hound hunter be it bears or cats.

SHAKER
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
It sucks but it's the nature of the sport. My 8 month old male got bit on the face 2 weeks ago by a cat that wouldnt stay tree'd. We unfortunatly had to shoot the cat in the middle of a dog fight. Tough pill to swallow for sure, sorry for the loss.

plumbob
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear,but it happens more than it should.Some cats just don't back down.

GoatGuy
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Calvin-Cougar Dean was walking a track just recently(yesterday or today) when he almost stepped on the cat. It only moved away very slowly and kept looking at him. The other guy was back at truck with the dogs. CD didn't have a rifle so he called back for the other guy to let the dogs go and bring the gun. The first dog caught up to the cat very quickly and the cat grabbed the dog by the head. C.D. had to give the cat a few kicks to get the cat to drop the dog. Then the cat awkwardly headed up the nearest tree. and it turned out that that the cougar was very skinny and had a broken back leg. Even though they have spent considerable time looking for a big cat they decided to burn a tag and put the cat down. It was only 6 1/2' long and very, very thin.

SSS

Sounds like another haywire story - pretty gutsy taking on a cat that's twice his size. :razz:

Tikka7mm
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
This is just a quick post . A good friend of mine was able to kill a great cat on Wes. His best dog got beat up real bad . After 2 trips to the Vet 2 nights in a warm house . She has gone to hound heaven :frown:. Be carfull some cat's don't want to tree Try to get to the tree as fast as you can so this doesn't happen to anyone else . I will post pictures as I get them .

Calvin L

still no pics????????????????????

calvin L
02-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Here are the pictures of the cat , the hunter , and the _ ing canyon it went into . I hope this works .

It is not working for me I will e mail them the sss and I am sure he will help me out . thanks in advance Steve

calvin

Stone Sheep Steve
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Here they are. A more hard core cat hunter you'll never meet.

Greened 15 5/16.

7'8"(IIRC?)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Cougar_and_Dogs_1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7990)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jay_and_Cat_2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7991)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jay_in_Canyon_4.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7989)

Congrats to 2-stroke!! Too bad about the hound:(.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
This obviously isnt the scrawny one ? (seems to be 2 stories goin on in here)
Nice pic, dogs and big smile, I like how the b&t is havin' a well deserved chew.

15 6/16, thats a big noggin for 7'8" !(not implying anything) Only an 1" off of the world record.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
This obviously isnt the scrawny one ? (seems to be 2 stories goin on in here)
Nice pic, dogs and big smile, I like how the b&t is havin' a well deserved chew.

15 6/16, thats a big noggin for 7'8" !(not implying anything) Only an 1" off of the world record.

Yes. Two different stories. The dog that the scrawny cat chewed on is doing fine.

The cougar pictured is the hound killer that Calvin first mentioned in the original post.

Sorry for the confusion.

SSS

horshur
02-07-2008, 09:47 AM

The difference is huge!!!!
Looks like he earned that one. Congrats on a great trophy in obviously even greater country! wouldn't want it any other way!

BlacktailStalker
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
To clarify thats just the first cat I've read about over 15" this year is all Horshur. I'm happy for the guy. ?

Spokerider
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, a hard-earned lion there for sure. Quite the canyon it bailed into.

Barracuda
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
nice cat for sure.
I was actually thinking that looks like nice terrain, Fairly open and not to steep compared to the thick schmit we hunt in down here .

Is it one of the two dogs in the picture that succumed?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Apologies:redface:........Calvin just called me to say that we got our wires crossed. While the cat pictured is a very nice one, it's not the hound killer and it isn't the one that greened 15 5/16" . That happened a week earlier. The hound killler did green 15 5/16" and it did kill the pictured fella's dog BUT someone else that he knew ended up getting it(while he was hot on the trail).

Ya, I'm still confused too:confused:.

Maybe Calvin can straighten out the details and give measurements on the cat pictured when he gets off work.

Again my apologies.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Okay the crack is starting to catch up with me:redface:.

Re-read the email......The cat pictured did kill his dog. It was the second dog he lost in a week.

SSS

calvin L
02-08-2008, 07:23 AM
MAN DO I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO POST PICTURES AND RESIZE THEM . sorry to all the confused . thanks anyway SSS.

calvin L
03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Well it has past the drying time and the cougar has been scored at 15" 4 . It is one hell of a cat I am still trying to get the ok to post a picture . To bad he killed it with his 300 win

SHAKER
03-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Just wait till your friends new pup is up and going! I know he's going to be a bad a$$!