PDA

View Full Version : End of Canadian Whitetail season in Saskatchewan

Hot Shoe
02-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Have been hearing and reading lots of buzz in Saskatchewan, on other sites and in the Saskatoon Starphoenix, that the Canadian resident whitetail season may becoming to an end. The main issues the residents have is, "why should non-residents be able to hunt here (SK) on their own when we have to be hosted by a resident when hunting there (B.C.) Makes sense to me....what are your thoughts!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
That's the word on the street but most of it is being pushed by the outfitters. Canadian residents are there for quality deer and, while there are some local hard core hunters, the masses are still meat hunters. We're direct competition for the outfitters.

When we went this year we found the locals welcomed us and shunned the GO operation.

The locals know that Canadian residents are vital to their economy. Make Canadian residents use a GO and most won't go.
Still lots of deer around for everyone.

SSS

mark
02-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Like SSS said, if I needed a host hunter, or a GO, Id never go again!!! The locals would lose lots of revenue in hotel, restaurant and gas station money! Maybe not a huge deal in the citys, but the hundreds of small towns will feel it . Im quite sure its not the locals pushing for this!

Blainer
02-02-2008, 09:05 AM
The population in Sask.,even in the cities,is small.The revenue from fellow Canadian hunters is huge.The economy there is on an upswing,generated by potash,and possibly they feel they can live without the revenue.When the economy tilt's they will feel the crunch.
The other side of the coin pits farmers against the damage deer do to the crops.Similar to northern B.C.,many farmers are thrilled to have the deer harvested from there land.It is my understanding that the outfitters can't hunt the private land?Dilemma!

huntwriter
02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I am totally in favor that non-Canadian residents should be guided either by an outfitter or local hunter by invitation. But Canadians should be able to hunt all over Canada without having to enlist the services of an outfitter or a local hunter.

Hot Shoe
02-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Before this starts into a good ol' Outfitter bash or non-residents telling locals what they should do or need, what about the equality of it all, i.e., SK residents need a host to hunt in B.C. or Alberta but the same is not true when reversed. Do the Northern communities of B.C. not need the added revenue? Would they not meet SK residents with open arms? Should be lots of game for everyone in B.C. as well, isn't there?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I could see deer and black bears being open to Canadian residents without a host....but what about other species? Whitetails and blackies are the only two species Canadian residents can hunt in Sask. When other species are throw into the mix it gets more complicated.

SSS

Will
02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
But Canadians should be able to hunt all over Canada without having to enlist the services of an outfitter or a local hunter.
With this I agree 110%.........obviously LEH draws and such would/should apply but any Canadian should be able to Hunt anything on every square inch of Canadian soil during a Lawful season that they choose.........

Outfitters and Bitchy Locals can Kiss my A$$ ! :smile:

kutenay
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I strongly disagree with this attitude as the populations of the rare species will not allow for a major increase in non-resident hunting by even Canadians from other provinces. I WOULD strongly support a major cutback to FOREIGN hunting, especially by those who are not our allies against terrorism, and THEN a "draw system" for a small percentage of BC game to be allocated to other Canucks, with certain restrictions as is the case in Sask.

I do not feel obligated to give up MY birthright so that hordes of Ontarians can flood west to shoot Stone's Sheep, for example and any "Separatiste" of ANY type, is NOT welcome in BC, to me, anyway.

Commercialization of hunting is ruining it and will continue to do so, IF, we allow it to. The first step in stopping this is to require that GOs ALL be Canadians, NOT, foreigners who have a residence here and employ Canadian "frontmen".

The GOs in Sask. are doing what GOs do, trying to keep a public resource for themselves for their profit. I doubt that this will actually happen as the Sask, people are too practical to allow it.

Will
02-03-2008, 01:23 AM
I strongly disagree with this attitude as the populations of the rare species will not allow for a major increase in non-resident hunting by even Canadians from other provinces.
If thier numbers are that rare they are most likely LEH or should be......:wink:
I still feel as a Canadian I should be FREE to travel throughout OUR Entire Country and Hunt within the Lawful seasons as I see fit !
And so should All Canadians be Free to pursure BC game....even the rare ones.

If someone from Ontario wants to Hunt Sheep in BC........who cares ?
As long as they prove citizenship, have a Valid license, obtain a Tag, either LEH or general season & Comply with our Provincial regs I say Hunt Free ! Hunt BC ! :cool:

We speak against "Seperatists" yet we want to keep our Provincial Game all to ourselves............:-?

dukester
02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
very interesting read. Having lived in northern B.C for 15yrs and have a hard time swallowing the non rez tag fees and that strict hosting rules( non res can not carry a rifle when not in the presence of the host.) Sask gov't better do there home work and see what they will loss in $$ from out of province hunters before committing to a host rule or guides only.
I would spend more money on tags if B.C and Alberta got rid of the HOST rule.

Seeadler
02-10-2008, 10:36 AM
If they want to end non-resident hunting in SK, let them, it is their province.

The game of BC does not belong to Canada, it belongs to BC, therefore the people of BC get to make the rules of who can hunt here or not and under what conditions.

kjohn
02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Interesting topic, indeed. I have only ever hunted in Sask., which is my home, so can't speak with any experience about hunting elsewhere. However, I do see the effects of "outfitters" at our local level. Despite claims that they bring in zillions of dollars to our local economy, it is likely that we could struggle along without them. I have come to know several American goose hunters over the years, and some don't use outfitters. If these hunters are able to make their way up here without a "guide", it seems they can also make their way hunting without a "guide". At least locally, the "outfitters" scrap amongst themselves, vying for the opportunity to hose the foreign hunters. I know that all outfitters don't behave this way, so don't waste bandwidth flaming me. I don't see why a Canadian resident would need a guide around here, other than to gain access to hunting priviledges on private land. Just my two bits worth. :tongue::tongue:

dukester
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
If they want to end non-resident hunting in SK, let them, it is their province.

The game of BC does not belong to Canada, it belongs to BC, therefore the people of BC get to make the rules of who can hunt here or not and under what conditions.

ya your right .. stay out . we need to shoot more wolrd record whitetail. :lol:

GrizGuy92
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
All I can say is;

if we need guides to hunt in SK
they should need guides to hunt in BC

Elkhound
03-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I am totally in favor that non-Canadian residents should be guided either by an outfitter or local hunter by invitation. But Canadians should be able to hunt all over Canada without having to enlist the services of an outfitter or a local hunter.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!

LeverActionJunkie
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM

I agree with this! I don't see why we can't hunt the rest of this great country, It would sure encourage me to visit other parts of Canada more frequently.

ratherbefishin
03-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I for one would love to be able to go to a ''Bed and Breakfast'' on a farm in Saskatchewan and shoot a deer-and if farmers were allowed to do this-it might give them some off season revenue-plus making some good friends.

115 or bust
03-02-2008, 08:14 PM
very interesting read. Having lived in northern B.C for 15yrs and have a hard time swallowing the non rez tag fees and that strict hosting rules( non res can not carry a rifle when not in the presence of the host.) Sask gov't better do there home work and see what they will loss in $$ from out of province hunters before committing to a host rule or guides only.
I would spend more money on tags if B.C and Alberta got rid of the HOST rule.

If you lived in Northern bc for 15 years why not just take the core and hunt like everyone else you only have to be here 6 months of the year. I got my win card when I worked in Alberta.

115 or bust
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
All I can say is;

if we need guides to hunt in SK
they should need guides to hunt in BC

They already do.

GrizGuy92
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
They already do.
Well never mind then!
:lol: