PDA

View Full Version : duck boats

Marc
02-01-2008, 10:57 PM
This has to be one of the coolest pictures of a layout boat. Man I'd love to have a set up like that.

http://www.momarsh.com/gallery/get_thumbs_on_fly.php?imgid=5&nw=1024&nh=570

Schutzen
02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Marc
With all the ducks you shoot in a morning you'd prolly sink it! LOL

Marc
02-01-2008, 11:07 PM
they say that the boat is rated for 550lbs. Thats a lot of ducks :D
I used to use my canoe for the same purpose but it's not as stable and roomy as one of these.

Here is a picture of Nash in my 13 foot canoe in 2004. The poor mans layout :D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3Nash_Ducks.jpg

Freshtracks
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Yes very nice natural camo blending job. Marc you in the market for a layout punt? I seen one post recently.

Marc
02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Rod had one but I was to late. This was about 6 months ago. There was a john boat on here as well but I'm looking for something a little more low profile.

Bow Walker
02-02-2008, 10:07 AM
It's hard to see the hunter. I'd think it woud be pretty hard to aim and track the ducks wouldn't it?

Buck
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Those Momarsh are great so are the 4 rivers layouts another good one is the otter stealth 1200 or 2000.I 'm looking at these three right now.You can also build boats with plans from Gator boats and Devlin lots to choose from.

Elkhound
02-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Marc, you need to find a boat sponsor and get them to "donate" one:wink:

Panda
02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
kayak is the way to go :)

Ian F.
02-03-2008, 09:09 PM
The original boat style that Ira based those off of you can make yourself, they are called a KARA, plans are like $30 they have a website, not sure what it is. The fatboy is a sweet rig and I toyed long and hard between it and the Aquapod, I'm very happy with the pod, especially how easy you can put it on the roof.

You should also take a look at Svensons.com and either the bluebill or pintail, which ever is plywood is a good marsh boat as is, a change the rear would make it even better, switching it to stitch and glue, rock and roll!

Ian

Marc
02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
There is just something about the fatboyDP that's calling my name. Have you watched the short video clips? That thing would be so awesome for hunting around the bay for puddlers or divers. I want a cockpit that's big enough for the dog to be able to sit behind me and still be comfortable. Maybe some day...

Ian F.
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
The DP is nice, I just prefer the Fatboy. If you are considering open water layout like the Lake Erie style, then hunting with a dog in the boat is tricky at the best, dangerous at the worst. That style hunting does not lend itself to dogs. You'd be better to rig out a boat blind and have a good dog ramp. Lots of folks I know who wont hunt without their dog don't bother with layout shooting for that very reason, but do quite well with boat blinds. Also much less work!

I built a lake erie style layout back east and the problem is that when it comes to hunting it's a bunch of work and folks always seem to be busy after then they've played the game once or twice. I will say though, that layout shooting bluebills is one of watefowlings greatest moments!

Oh, almost forgot, there is no one boat for duckin, I figure 3, 1 - an open water "big boat" 2 - a small marsh boat, sneakbox, 3 - mash boat like a pod or fatboy, with these 3 I could hit 90% of the situations and species I go for over water, now fields that's a different story again!

Ian

johnes50
02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
You might want to check out Devlins boat designs. He has quite a few duck boats and sneakboxes. That way you can compare them.

http://www.devlinboat.com/dcfp.htm

Ian F.
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Patrick,

The dealware ducker is a very unique boat, you use it to sneak on birds, but to do so you roll it on one side, I've seen a few pics of them in action, truly neat boats! The stephens book is a collection of articles for those that aren't familiar with it, a few old sneakbox designs even a Perrine if I remember corect.

Johnes,

I've built a devlin Mallard and am quite familiar with his designs, + and -'s, make sure you look at them with a critical eye. Some are excellent, some not so much...

Ian

johnes50
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Patrick,

The dealware ducker is a very unique boat, you use it to sneak on birds, but to do so you roll it on one side, I've seen a few pics of them in action, truly neat boats! The stephens book is a collection of articles for those that aren't familiar with it, a few old sneakbox designs even a Perrine if I remember corect.

Johnes,

I've built a devlin Mallard and am quite familiar with his designs, + and -'s, make sure you look at them with a critical eye. Some are excellent, some not so much...

Ian

I mentioned Devlin so Marc can compare different style duckboats, I've never actually built one of his boats, though. Was it you that had one for sale a few months back? It was a nice boat.

Ian F.
02-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Figure that John, just letting folks know someone has experience with his (devlin) stuff, sure wish I knew someone who built one of his designs and was willing to be honest when I built my Mallard.

Rod Lahaise who posts her occasionally built a broadbill back in NB, he's in Courtney now.

Take a look at the broadbill, but envision it 12feet long with full bulkheads and a bonded in place floor, as spec a touch small and the half bulkheads just aren't as strong. Of his sneakbox lineup that'd be the gem, but one first has to know that hunting sneakbox style is for them! that'd be ass on the floor, shooting over the motor tucked under a bonnet with the boat pulled into the grass. Not for everyone, but boy can you do some great set ups!

I sold mine last fall and if I had the space I'd be building something right now. Building boats ranks right up there with carving decoys for me. Something pretty cool about taking some flat wood and making a floating useful boat out of it!

Wolfman
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Geez...

I don't duck hunt...yet ;-)

....but with all the great camo jobs I see on those boats I can see how if poachers come around shooting there is no way they'd see the legit hunters either.

You duck hunter guys are masters of camo to be sure!

Regards.

Wolfman

Marc
02-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Here is a couple of close up pictures I've found of the fatboyDP

I can't see why this wouldn't work on divers.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/GarrettTrentham/2e51418c.jpghttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/GarrettTrentham/houseBStokes061.jpghttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/GarrettTrentham/houseBStokes064.jpg

Ian F.
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Marc,

It works fine, is it as deadly as a true lake erie layout, no? Does it matter, hell no! One of the beautiful things about BC is the birds see us first so they don't have the edumucation they have by the time they hit the wintering grounds.

I don't know of any DP's in BC or Northern washington, but you could drop Ira a line (owner of MoMarsh) and I'm sure he'd let you know if there is one handy to check out. I'm a huge proponet of try before you buy, nothing worse then putting out big cash and finding out that what you just bought isn't what you wanted.

One thing to keep in mind is that layouts (marsh or open water) are used in a very specific style of hunting and they work best when done the way they where intended. The DP tries to split the difference between a marsh and open water and I think of the offerings out there for that focus it's as good as there is.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. I'll answer your PM later from home

Marc
02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I did find this image.

http://cedarvillefarms.com/db2/00175/cedarvillefarms.com/_uimages/MarkandChris.JPGrszd.jpg

duck stamp
09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I cant wait until I get my Fatboy D P, Ira call me today and my boat is being shipped out today should have it next week.