PDA

View Full Version : Dogs for shed hunting?

Timberjack
02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Anybody had any luck using dogs for finding sheds? Just trying to find out if it's a viable method, or just the odd dog gettin lucky? I would assume fresh sheds have plenty of scent for a dog...

Your thoughts?

TJ

gameslayer
02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a great a fun idea, great way to spend time with the pooch

Hunter Dog
02-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Over the years when I have been out picking mushrooms in the fall my dogs have returned to me with several sheds. However, because of the time of year, they are usually bleached out and varmit chewed. This leads me to believe that if you can get out at this time of year with a dog the success rate would be worth a nice walk.

kloosterboer
02-02-2008, 12:46 AM
It sounds like a good idea. I found a small blacktail shed a couple weeks ago and as soon as I let the dog out she must have smelt it then she found it right away and started to chew on it.:mad:

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2008, 04:55 AM
YEs I have heard of many guys training dogs to retrieve sheds. It all starts at home with training though.

hunter1947
02-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Why dogs pick up sheds is that they can smell them ,yes the animal scent is really strong on the antler when the sheds have fallen off within the first two months.

huntwriter
02-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Anybody had any luck using dogs for finding sheds? Just trying to find out if it's a viable method, or just the odd dog gettin lucky? I would assume fresh sheds have plenty of scent for a dog...

Your thoughts?

TJ

While I have never used a dog for shed hunting I do know of hunters that use them regularly with great success. Dogs are used for many things because of their outstanding sense of smell, so why not for shed hunting. Dogs like to eat bones and finding them comes naturally. When I take my dog for a walk he keeps finding all sorts of bones from the discarded chicken leg bone to the mouse skeleton.

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Ironically, today I found a shed and my dog was VERY interested in it. I am going to plant it in the bush on walks and reward her for finding it, maybe one day she'll haul one back on her own :)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Kysashed.jpg

Schutzen
02-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Ironically, today I found a shed and my dog was VERY interested in it. I am going to plant it in the bush on walks and reward her for finding it, maybe one day she'll haul one back on her own :)

Smart thinking dude...let us know how that turns out.

hunter1947
02-03-2008, 07:00 AM

Nice to see your dog looking so happy Andy.

Spokerider
02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Ha! She may just bring a "shed" home with rest of the deer in tow. lol.

whitetailsheds
02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I was able to get my lab onto sheds. Starting right from a pup, I started playing with him and fresh sheds. It was fun time in the basement, chasing and playing tug of war with sheds. Then outside, it was fetching and hide and seek in the snow. "Where's the bone? Go find it!" Fortunately, got Sam when the bucks were dropping them and that fresh scent must've really sank in. I would come home and find sheds on my front step that he'd found during the day to keep himself occupied. Trips out and about, he would find some before me, as this photo shows. Looks pretty proud, doesn't he?
Sad part, the move into town did not sit well with him and his wandering spirit. Always getting out of the yard. Either found some antifreeze or someone poisoned him, we'll never know. Was not himself last summer. Took him to the vet and he told us to keep him happy as he was in kidney/ liver failure. In other words, he was leaving, and very soon.
True to his nature, despite being barely able to get up, he walked out of the yard when the kids left the gate open, never to see him again.

whitetailsheds
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/th_P2030721.jpg

MattB
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
http://antlerdogs.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

BlacktailStalker
02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear whitetailsheds. He does look proud, tail held high.
If you dont mind, what were his symptoms and how long did this go on for?
My dobie is really sick right now and anything to do with liver/kidney info helps.
Looking outside the box now as I'm stumped, as well as 3 vets...

whitetailsheds
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey Blacktail, my lab was only 7. Last summer was pretty hot up here in Dawson Ck. Sam quit eating, would only lap bits of water, and his energy slowly started to decrease. We chalked it up to the heat as occasionally he would show us his lab "goofiness". Still get excited when we came home, chase his tennis ball or sheds that were all over the yard. He'd perk his ears up when asked "Where's your bone? or where's the squirrel?"
Since not eating (other than the odd treat), obviously things quit coming out the backend. He was still urinating. And occasionally heaving/ wretching. Guesses came around maybe he had something stuck in his throat, nope. Coat was good, nose/ eyes good, didn't appear to be in pain/ discomfort, no limping, no whining.....
After a couple weeks of this and a camping trip that we literally had to start putting him in the truck, off to the vet...this is not the heat or a tired lab, something's wrong!
After a look over by the vet, questions of change in dogfood came up. We made no changes and it wasn't a brand listed as one of the nasties from China or where ever it was....
He figured some bloodwork could be done, and other than that could think of nothing else.
3 hours later, he phoned me and told that he was in kidney/ liver failure and there was nothing that could be done other than to keep him as happy as could be.
Really, I don't know what to say to look for other than the above. I guess looking back if it hadn't have been as hot, we probably would have done something sooner. However, long that would have been!!!
This was one of our last photos of Sam my eldest daughter took of him gawking into the kitchen.
Hopefully all turns out well with your pup.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/th_Sam.jpg

whitetailsheds
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Timberjack, did not want to sidetrack this. Could have PM'd Blcktail, but thought other dog owners may appreciate the info as to poisoning.
Shed hunting with lab was great. Didn't really have much in terms of technique. Think it was just the time spent playing with those fresh sheds and an impressionable, eager to learn pup. He nailed it!!!!

hunter1947
02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear whitetailsheds. He does look proud, tail held high.
If you dont mind, what were his symptoms and how long did this go on for?
My dobie is really sick right now and anything to do with liver/kidney info helps.
Looking outside the box now as I'm stumped, as well as 3 vets...
Maybe he misses you when you are at school all day ????.

Ron.C
02-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I do alot of hiking up Shaw Creek way in the spring and my dog has found a few elk sheds, as a matter of fact, one old one he found almost two years ago is his favourite chew toy!. As far as training dogs to find them, I'm sure it can't be too hard, but my dog justs likes the smell of them I guess?