PDA

View Full Version : Binos or spotting scope?

garsher
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering, should I invest my money in a good spotting scope or binoculars for hunting?

todbartell
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
without a doubt, binos, and spend as much as you can afford

Spuddge
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Definitely go with the binoculars first, you can keep them around your neck and at the ready.

kutenay
01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Buy a REALLY GOOD binocular in a medium power-size range FIRST, then, learn HOW to focus and use it properly. I prefer Zeiss and Leica optics, Swaro makes great glass and Kahles, Minox and SOME Nikon and Pentax models are good.

Get a 7x or 8x, not a 10x, as that is a specialized tool and also buy one with at least 30mm objectives, 40mm is better. Take it on hikes and wherever you can use it without the girl down the street screaming "peeping" and thus get used to it. Avoid tiny "compact"models as again, there are better tools for most hunting uses.

The finest bino I have ever used and I have used about all the current highend stuff is the Leica Ultravid and a 7x42 or 8x40 in this is perfection....and just a "few" bux.

When you getr really capable with a bino, THEN, it is time for a spotter, I have two spotters, but, seldom pack them when hunting due to the weight issue. They DO earn their keep in northern BC hunting where they can save you miles of hard hiking. HTH.

KevinB
01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Pretty much concur with the first 2 posts. Depending on the type of hunting you'll be doing, you may or may not have much use for a spotter. Once you get good at glassing and spotting animals with your binoculars, and you find yourself often in situations where you are wanting more magnification, then you'll be at the point where a spotter will be a good investment, and you'll have a better idea of what you want/need.

A spotter will help you to be a more effective hunter in many circumstances, but a good pair of binoculars will help you be a more effective hunter in almost every circumstance. Especially if you learn how to use them!

ah, looks like Kutenay beat me to the punch as I was writing this.

Scobo
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
hey garsher,
FYI, i picked up a set of browning bino's off opticsplanet. 8x32 for $150 including shipping to the US (point roberts). these are amazingly clear and are the same glass as the bushnell legend (so i have been told) with rainguard. like i say i consider them amazingly clear but like said if you can afford one of the big names then go for it, if not and this size suits they are a great set. the only thing is the case and lense covers are horrible.

tomahawk
01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Binoculars are an essential for all hunting, spotting scope is specific to certain terrain.

pupper
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
w/o a doubt Bino's

trail blazer
01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I would recommend binoculars, about 10 years ago I decided to get a pair of high end binoculars and went with the zeiss 10x40. They are excellent, wish I had gotten them sooner. Good in low light conditions, easy on the eyes and durable. I carry them in a vest pocket so there is no tension on my neck.

Krico
01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Assuming you have neither right now, start with binos as they can and should be carried at all times while hunting.

Only certain conditions/terrain demand the kind of glassing performed with a spotter.

01-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Go for a pair of Binos. Last Christmas I got a pair of Bushnell Trophy 10x42's and am very happy with them. The glass is great, they are waterproof and fogproof and the weight is nice.

Unlike a spotting scope, Binos are immediately accessible when the situation demands it.

Bow Walker
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Binoculars - as everyone is suggesting. Although, there is no need to spend over $1,000.00 for a good pair of binos.

http://eagleopticscanada.stores.yahoo.net/

Vortex binos, scopes, rifle scopes will fill all your wants and needs.