PDA

View Full Version : X-bow string hight

358win
01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I just jumped into the x-bow world and have a question.
My string rises up from the limbs about 3/16 inch to cross the rail.
Is this normal ?
It would seem a slight float above would solve ware & friction problems.
If it matters it's a viper rattler.

358win
01-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Apparently I've stumped everyone on this one.:cool:

A local crossbow fella said it's OK to have that much tension on the rail so I guess I'll wax & rail lube like crazy and see how it goes.

358win
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
OK I got serving string on & waxed. Rail lube applied. Shot 60 bolts in a small gravel pit from 35 to 60 yds with different angles and heights and are confident to hit a pie plate from these distances with my target tip Easton XX75 2219

New question...

I have several Hunting fixed X4 razor blade bolts that have the same sized shaft but are 2" shorter and are marked 2216. Will they have a close enough trajectory to hunt?

Should I invest in a couple bales of straw to check it out or does someone here have experience with these bolts?

interceptor
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Can't help with the string height question but as far as those bolts go,

The 2216's will have a different weight and also a different spine so I would expect them fly quite differently to the 2219's especially being shorter and therefore lighter, being shorter may even out the spine difference though.

If you are going to hunt with them I think you should sight in for one bolt or the other so that you give your quarry the best chance of a quick & humane kill.

JMHO.

Cheers Noel

brotherjack
02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
No, the chances of them having the same trajectory and point of impact are nearly zero. Even the identical arrow with identical head weights will almost always have a SIGNIFICANTLY different trajectory and point of impact when you switch from a field point to a broadhead. The blades of the broadhead alter the aerodynamic profile, causing altered flight characteristics (frequently including a loss of accuracy in addition to the change in point of impact).

You have to practice with what you hunt with, right down to the last detail.

358win
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
OK thanks for the info. I'll go out with 3 bales of hay and a target tomorrow and fine tune my fixed broadhead 2216 's.

plumbob
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Watch with bales and broad heads as you will shoot right through them,so find a good back stop.

358win
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Watch with bales and broad heads as you will shoot right through them, so find a good back stop

Thanks plumbob. I have a small isolated pit with 20' high sand/pea gravel backstop and 3 bails that I'll set up two and the third behind the center target. I was hoping to not have to do a little blade sharpening after.

plumbob
02-08-2008, 09:39 PM
If you can get some shrink wrap from a feed store are something pack a bag as full as you can,and that will stop broad heads for awhile.

Bow Walker
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Broadheads will blow through a bag stuffed tight with shrinkwrap or plastic bags, or the like.

You might try a coffee sack stuffed (tight) with old clothing and/or rags. That'll stop a broadhead. Of course you will need to re-sharpen the blades after shooting. They need to be razor sharp when you go hunting - ansd I mean razor sharp.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-09-2008, 02:20 PM
the best broadhead target around ... either go to a Hottub shop with a big garbage bag ... get the lads in the back to spray the urathane insulation into the bag to fill it up ...you want it about 12" thick or so .... shape it to the way you want it ... let it set ... Bingo bango you have a an awesome Broadhead Butt .... if you wanna insert a rope into it you can drag it anywhere you want.

Conversly if you go to CDN tire and buy a whack of low expansion monofoam ... fill a box with it ... you will have a smaller one ... I persoanlly think the hot tub insulation stands up better ....it is however not self healing so if you hammer it alot you will leave chunks ....

I got a bigone made with hottub stuff and i repair it with the CDN tire stuff

358win
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
So I tried the hay bales today.
I had things sighted in for my 2219 target tip. But the broadhead 2216's shot 1 ' to the left?
I tried to sight in the 2216's but had real trouble with grouping accuracy.
The bolts went thought the hay bale like you guys said, and burried 3/4 of the shaft into a clay and gravel bank, im guessing the problem with grouping was i couldnt get the broadheads clean enough?
Next time im taking a bucket of water to make sure there is no sand and clay on the braodhead.
Looking into a good CLEAN bolt stopper would be another priority.
I'll try the foam in a big garbage bag idea.

Onesock
02-10-2008, 11:55 PM
And people wonder why the IBEP should be mandatory prior to bow hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoatGuy
02-11-2008, 12:01 AM
And people wonder why the IBEP should be mandatory prior to bow hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That isn't the attitude to be recruiting people.

There's an expression here:

Honey's generally a better attractant than ....

Onesock
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
GG- Recruitment at any cost maybe your motto but it is not mine. A two day course would put this young hunter on the road to success in a way shorter time than, and much cheaper, than shooting broadheads into a dirt bank. Recruitment recruitment recruitment. I am tired of hearing this from you. Lets get practical!!!

358win
02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks to those, Bowzone, Bow walker, Plumbob, brother jack & Interceptor, for your help so far It’s working.
I have always believed that one should practice with a new weapon first before using it for hunting so as to make the most humane kill possible. Of course asking questions is good and I thought that is what this site was used for.
Apparently Onesock has taken a different viewpoint, and out of respect to people here and this site. Mr Onesock. PM on the way.

Bow Walker
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Some people have very definite opinions on certain subjects. Don't let it get to you. It could have something to do with the type of equipment used by the people with strong opinions - believing that their type is the only way to go - but that's OK. Everyone is entitled.

Almost certainly any hunting skills that were or have been acquired have been picked up in the same "trial and error" way. What it appears to be is a frustration about the benefits of IBEP - which, BTW, is a very worthwhile investment in time and money.

The frustration on the part of Onesock seems to stem from a desire to see every hunter take the course, and although I agree with the idea of educating hunters, I usually express it differently. But as I said different strokes for different folks.

That idea about the foam insulation into a plastic garbage bag is a good one. Haven't heard about that one before now. Mike - can you give us an us an idea of the general cost of a regular garbage bag filled with the stuff? Ball park?

There's a hot tub place about 15 minutes from me. Come to think about it I guess I could get off my "6" and phone them.

I'll let you know what they say.

OOBuck
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
GG- Recruitment at any cost maybe your motto but it is not mine. A two day course would put this young hunter on the road to success in a way shorter time than, and much cheaper, than shooting broadheads into a dirt bank. Recruitment recruitment recruitment. I am tired of hearing this from you. Lets get practical!!!

1-05 area.. Check with the Naniamo Fish & Game Club.. I use to shoot there as a kid and they had a great archery program. The St Pattys day 3D shoot use to be a blast.. They would most likely have broadhead butt's if not I heard the Parksville fish and game club is still going at it in Nanoose, say Hi to Gary if he's still around.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM

That idea about the foam insulation into a plastic garbage bag is a good one. Haven't heard about that one before now. Mike - can you give us an us an idea of the general cost of a regular garbage bag filled with the stuff? Ball park?

There's a hot tub place about 15 minutes from me. Come to think about it I guess I could get off my "6" and phone them.

I'll let you know what they say.

I really dont know to be honest with you .... When I was a member of the Lethbridge Club... we had a hidden spot shot .... you know a colored sticker under a camo net ... draped over this butt ... the closest got the whole butt and the furthest got a miniture vertion of it .... the big one was almost 5.5 feet square and about 18" thick .... My bud Scott won it one year and when he got home ... We quartered it up with a chainsaw. 1/4 lasted me about 2 years of BH and Feild points ... Then I bought a Morrells Super Duper for FP and I got me a small box of urathane insulation from a local tub shop fer nil..... ;)

Prior to that I did the mono foam in a box trick ....just line the box with plastic first ... That cost me about 7 cans for a decent sized butt

GoatGuy
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Practical?

So a guy wrecked a couple of arrows - we've all done that. Who cares. You can't scream at him for getting involved in bowhunting. If you were to offer some assistance you'd better off on the right foot instead of the left.

We've all made mistakes.

I think I've said it before, hunters are their own worst enemy.

GoatGuy
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
My homemade targets were big potato sacks stuffed tight with poly left over from construction sites. I stuffed it and then sewed the top up with dental floss. Worked well, last a long time, and best of all it was free.

J_T
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Best target,

Go to a hardware store, get their shrink wrap. Take a couple of scrap pieces of carpeting and some 2 x 6. Build a frame, attach the carpet on both sides of the 2 x 6, stuff it full of the shrink wrap and put the top on. Might sound stupid/complex. But it will last and endure the weather.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I have heck of alot more respect for a guy that wants to learn to shoot ethically and spends an extra 50 bucks on a set of broadheads to practice with and beat the hell outta while learning what he can and cannot do in the real world than I do for you that just sits there and Bitches about people that dont want to or havent taken the IBEP.

why ?... because your bitching does absolutly nothing for the sport .... If a dude comes on here and askes for help ....I am gonna do my damnedist to help that person out if I can...Thats what I love about this sport ... everyone will help each other (for the most part)...if they wanna take the IBEP course great ..it will help people for sure ...if they dont ... thats their perogitive and really nobodys business but their own, If someone askes me about it I will tell em ...But I aint gonna force it down their throat.

So yea ... Lets get practical ... The kids lookin for a mentor (obviously by asking questions here) ... yea an IBEP course was just held in Victoria (I think) .... hmmm lets get practical here ... that does nothing for a dude in Fort Nelson now does it?.... I think he is being extremly practical by spend 50 bucks on a set of heads and some bandwidth as opposed to 1000 bucks(what it would cost me to go to Victoria right now.....to drive about 2hundy fuel and 50 for the ferry one way(about the same as a flight)... 5 hundy there..food and accomadation...expect another 5 hundy) for a weekend in Victoria

so Onesock ..please do us all a favour ... Exhale and shrug your shoulders at the same time and perhaps then you might hear the popping sound of your cranium leaving your rectum

358win
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks. I appreciate all the help guys. I am new to bowhunting but I am not new to hunting so I think I understand now the point onesock was making though I was un aware of it. And that is, there is a better/easier way. Thanks, and anyone that has a favourite Target with $ it costs I'm all ears.

Hey maybe this is a good thread starter??

Bow Walker
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Do what J_T suggests in post #22 - get some sort of sack - largish - and fill it with plastic. Shopping bags, stretch/shrink wrap, and the like. If there is a beer and wine store near you, they get lots of the stuff. All their pallets of beer are wraped in it. They'll be thankful to get rid of it.

greybark
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
:cool: Hey BZ M , Sure Onesock was a little out of line but be assured his intent was in the interest of bowhunting . Frankly in regards to attitude your reply to him was much worse then his was .
:biggrin: Correcting or admonishing can be done by speaking to rather then the"insulting from the Pulpit" attitude .

greybark
02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
:grin: Hey 358 , When using broadheads for practice put aside a pair that have the sharp edges of the blades filed off . They will not penetrate as far and will pull out without leaving the broadhead in the target .
Another broadhead target is 6 in of eathafoam . The arrows /bolts can be removed easily after unscrewing the broadhead .
Cheers

greybark
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
:wink: AAAHHH BowWalker , I disagree with your idea that the type of equip dictates the ideologey of strong mined persons .
:mrgreen: I went through several weapon stages of hunting , riflle , compound , recurve and longbow . My attitude remained the same through all these stages , I think . LOL . Each stage was enjoyed to the extint that I promoted and protected them . All here are promoting and protecting the sport that is a part of us and we ALL must remember that when replying to our posts
Sorry for the hi-jack :cry:

willyqbc
02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Morrell Yellow jacket Broadhead butt can be had for around $60....works well and the one I had lasted 2 seasons with 4 of us using it. Give me a PM if interested and I can hook you up!

Chris

Onesock
02-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks Barky and Bow Walker. If the IBEP course was available to all new bowhunters in the province this new bowhunter would not have to go on an internet site to try to learn how to bowhunt. From the course he would learn in two days what would normally take 5 plus years to learn from bowhunting on his own. In addition he would meet other bowhunters and learn from them and also maybe find a new hunting buddy. As for your comment Mr Bowzone I will ignore it as the internet makes brave souls.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I'll say the same thing to the whites of your eyes too... rest assured on that aspect.
My whole point is/was that the IBEP ...as good as a program as it is .... is not the end all and be all of bowhunting ......You mr sock came on here making a snide remark when somebody genuinly asks for help ......that does nobody no good ...and if my last post made it sound like I was pissed off ....its because I was.

GoatGuy
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Barky and Bow Walker. If the IBEP course was available to all new bowhunters in the province this new bowhunter would not have to go on an internet site to try to learn how to bowhunt. From the course he would learn in two days what would normally take 5 plus years to learn from bowhunting on his own. In addition he would meet other bowhunters and learn from them and also maybe find a new hunting buddy. As for your comment Mr Bowzone I will ignore it as the internet makes brave souls.

I'm only going if you're the instructor :razz:

358win
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Truce guys.

OK, so I'm new to bowhunting.
But In the interest of hunting..........

The IBEP course (and I'm not sure what that is) I am told will help people to bowhunt better.

Then this is a good thing. Any course that helps hunters old or new is.

This site is also amazing with the skill & professionalism of the hunters & shooters here.

Asking questions and doing things the hard way is maybe the only way for some people.

Both are helpful.

Sometimes we say things that could be worded a little better from a strangers viewpoint.

But that's it.

When it comes rite down to it.

I doubt any of us would ever see a fellow hunter in trouble and not do whatever you can to help correct?

Thanks to those who have helped, and here's a tip of my hat to the privilege of knowing hunters sportsmanship.

Bow Walker
02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
As per a request - I'm going to lock this thread before it degenerates into a p'ing match. 358 can start a whole new thread for further info should he desire.

We're all here for ya bud. No matter how we come across. Rest assured about that.