PDA

View Full Version : Hoyt Katera XL

BlacktailStalker
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I see on the new kateras you can go with the new Z3 cam or the cam 1/2, however you cant adjust your draw length on the Z3.
Throws a curve ball at a guy as he needs to be darn sure what his proper draw length is.
It also makes the bow a hard sell down the road if he chose the Z3, as finding a buyer with the same draw length (one that knows his before he buys it) could be a challenge...
I'd like to retire the Cybertec this year and I think this is the bow I'd go with.
The vectrix xl was a success and the vectrix shooters say this is a refined improved vectrix.
Even with the somewhat parralax XT 500 limbs, it is still 36" axle to axle, a 1/2 longer than the Cybertec with the xt 2000 limbs. Definitely not overly long but up there in comparison to many. I was hoping to see it slim down maybe an inch over my current bow, but the stability is important to me, being 6'3" I guess.
She still sends em out at 320 fps although a whole 10 fps slower than the shorter axle to axle Katera.
Neither will be winning any chrono comp's but it excels in every other area I hear.
I would love to hear someones personal opinion on it if they get to try one.
The online reviews are good so far, many calling it Hoyts best bow ever, which is a big shoe to fill.
It is also a great way to get my brother into bow hunting as he said he wants to buy mine when/if I decide on a new one.

Bow Walker
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
What draw length are you shooting now? If at all possible - a pic, from the sides, of you and your bow at full draw would go a long way in determining if you are indeed at your right draw length.

The pic should be from the waist up, and include the full length of the bow plus your arms.

Can do?

BlacktailStalker
01-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Well there's this one lol, pissin' around on our elk hunt. Call me cupid.
I'm drawing 30" I think, had my bow tuned to me in '02 when I bought the cybertec but feel I should do it again to be sure.
I can get a proper pic this weekend some time probably.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/ElkHunt2007098.jpg

Bow Walker
01-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Well...it's hard to judge from that angle - but here goes.

It appears as if your release arm/shoulder are not squared, or fully flexed. I mean that your shoulders should be square and your bow arm extended bit more. In other words it looks as if your draw length could be a bit short.

If you can - get a picture taken when you're standing on flat ground and you're in "T" configuration with regard to your upper body and your shoulders/arms.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/ElkHunt2007098.jpg

Again, just looking at that pic suggests to me that you could benefit from a longer draw length.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
6'3" I would think that yer draw would be around 31 or so

I agree with Walker on the benifits of a longer draw from the above pic

daycort
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe you could benifit from a string loop. might better your aim to by releasing right behind your arrow instead of under it. just my opinion.

Bigbear
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I have 3 Katea's In the shop right now. The short one Which does the Advertizes IBO.A smooth draw cycle .An XL with the Z3 Cam One of the nicest Cam i've Come across. It has a smooth draw Cycle, and no big hump to tryand pull over. Also I have an XL with the Cam1/2 Plus, which is ajustable. It also has a nice draw cycle. Both the XL's are also real quick aswell.

Bow Walker
01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Seems we scared Blacktailstalker off?? Yoo Hoo, don't be shy. Post up a proper form pic so we can pick you apart.............er - I mean help you...