PDA

View Full Version : Judging yardage...

Bow Walker
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Picked this article off the Hoyt website. It gives something easy to do and to practice.

Yardage Judging Made Easy: Tony Tazza

To improve your yardage judging ability you need to practice and exercise your ability to judge yardage. If you were poor at bowling and wanted to improve, what would you do? Hopefully you would spend a lot of time at the lanes and maybe think about some coaching. There are some 3D archers that practice and work extremely hard to hone their ability to accurately judge the distance to McKenzie 3D targets. Those are usually the guys on the podium at the IBO and ASA tournaments. I壇 like to share a couple of yardage judging exercises that work for me.

Calibration
Your eye and brain need to be "calibrated" to effectively learn to judge and recognize distance. At the beginning of the 3D season, my yardage judging is typically rusty from the winter off-season. To get started preparing for 3D tournaments, I begin by calibrating my eye and brain to yardage judging. I値l go out into my local woods and set orange cones out in 10-yard increments on several shooting lanes and on my practice target lane. As I知 practicing I study the location of the cones and try to burn the markers into my subconscious mind. I do this with and without a McKenzie target at the end of each lane. I study the target at 20 yards, then study the 20 yard marker and the target at 30 yards, then study the 30 and 20 yard markers and the target from 40 yards and so forth out to 50 yards. Spending time at each location will eventually enable you to "see" the markers in your memory when they aren稚 even there. I like to do this exercise in a variety of atmospheres such as open woods, open fields, tight tunnels and thick brush. You値l be surprised at how different the markers look in the different environments. I recommend this exercise at the beginning of the season and anytime you feel lost with your judging.

Woods Walking
When I知 unable to practice with McKenzie targets I値l take my rangefinder for a walk. Walk in different types of woods and in different lighting conditions. You値l be shocked to see how much lighting conditions effect your judging (I usually over-judge in low light and under-judge in bright conditions.). As you池e walking around, judge the distance to a specific tree, bush or rock then shoot it with your rangefinder. When you miss the yardage, shoot some items between you and the target and see where you missed. This will help hone your depth perception and help you perfect your ground judging. To mix things up and keep you from getting bored, try to stop 20 yards from a given object then check yourself. Do the same for 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 yards. I like to keep a notebook while I am doing this to see if there is a pattern to my mis-judges under certain conditions.

I know that I'll be trying this idea when I can get into the bush.

tomahawk
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Great advice, I do the bush walking one all the time, it helps with judgement and keeps away some of the boredom. I make it a game all the time and it is really effective in improving your judgement.

Bigbear
01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I use 10 Yard Incriments, It seems easyer than 20 Yard ones.

Bow Walker
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I find that once I get out past 20 yards or so the fore-shortening of the yards interferes with my estimating. That is - I can't wrap my head around the fact that 10 yards looks like 4 or 5 yards because of the angle of view. May be dumb, but it's a stumbling block for me.

It'll take some concentrated practice to be able to get over it, but I think that this will help. All I need to do is find the time to devote to practice.

sealevel
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
BZ micky said one time many moons ago to tie a ten yard rope with a piece ribbon on the end to a your backside . so when you are walking around you can turn around and see ten yards in all terrain .

Bow Walker
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.

sealevel
01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
start at 10 then go to 20 and so on

greybark
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
:smile: Most indoor ranges are 20 yds , Most first outdoors practice butts are 20 yds . I suggest one make that their first estimate segment because of it`s imprint on your brain . Go from there in 5 or 10 yd additions .
:shock: After quite a few compound and now tradition years I get lazy and just go Close , Medium and Far . Few of us are capabile of distinct grouping at the distances in between and this really simplfies range estimating for traditional archers whom have a choice of supplementing a instintive aiming style.
:sad:Hope this makes sence

sealevel
01-22-2008, 08:55 PM
My grandson started 3d shooting at three . But i could never get him to shoot from a stake. He would say but papa why shoot from way back here when i can walk rite up close. Kinda like graybark

greybark
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
:lol: Hey Sealevel , Great chuckle . LOL LOL

willyqbc
01-23-2008, 08:38 AM
It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.

A wise old 3d'er nce told me.......you only really need to be able to judge out to 25 yards accurately for 3D. Most people have the spacial acuity to be able to pick out the point half way between them and the target pretty well. Given the 50 yard max you will only need to judge that distance (25 yds or less) and then double it. Try it.... it will help you!

Chris

Jetboater
01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
we stump shoot alot in the off season and even during the regular season... another thing when walking the 3-d couses not during shoots... shoot the animal from where you first see it.. not at the peg... as long as it is safe of course....the more you shoot less desirable shots the better you get... practice through bush... and foliage.. nothing makes you miss judge more than bushes between you and the target... I cant remember the last yardage I shot an animal at becasue after tons of practice you just instinctively know what pin to pick... or where to hold...the more you shoot the better you get.....

Bow Walker
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Stump shooting is (or can be ) pretty hard on the arrows. Although it's great practice.

How come I can't remember to cut the distance in half and judge that, when I'm standing at the stake??? Duh.

BowSitter
01-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Stump shooting is (or can be ) pretty hard on the arrows. Although it's great practice.

How come I can't remember to cut the distance in half and judge that, when I'm standing at the stake??? Duh.

That's because BowWalker you are....Human!!

willyqbc
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM

advanced cranial degeneration caused by extreme old age!!!:lol:.....oooops....did I say that out loud???:p

Chris

Bow Walker
01-25-2008, 06:14 PM
advanced cranial degeneration caused by extreme old age!!!:lol:.....oooops....did I say that out loud???:p

Chris
....brought on by a severe case of "snow-coloured-hair" :redface:

boxhitch
07-07-2011, 05:57 AM
More good stuff, thanx

boxhitch
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
It'd have to be a 20 or 30 yard rope in my case. I need to practice judging distances from 15 out to 30 and beyond.I hear that.
That third '10 yd' segment between 20 and 30 sure looks different.
I know, I know..........practice, practice, practice

Bow Walker
07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm blaming my old eyes, it can't be the 'elderly' brain can it?

Once past 20 yards/meters the foreshortening on the next segment makes judging the actual distance a real feat....and if the target is 'out there' I'm sunk.

It's "by guess and by golly' after that.

boxhitch
07-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Had a talk with an American hunter once who used to play NFL. He said he judged range by how many football fields away the target appeared. 2 football fields, three, four fields .........
I asked him how many times he sat 300 yards away from a field to judge what it looked like from that point. He gave a puzzled look, and then I asked him how many helmets he had broke from impact.

boxhitch
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
May try the trick of dragging the long rope with a marker, but will try two, one at 20 and one at 30.
Will make sure no one is watching that feat

Bow Walker
07-09-2011, 10:26 AM
A wise old 3d'er nce told me.......you only really need to be able to judge out to 25 yards accurately for 3D. Most people have the spacial acuity to be able to pick out the point half way between them and the target pretty well. Given the 50 yard max you will only need to judge that distance (25 yds or less) and then double it. Try it.... it will help you!

Chris

The clubs here on the Island have a nasty habit of not recognizing that "50 yard max" rule. But, I have to say that there are not too many targets out there beyond the 50 yard mark. Usually.

Jerry Potts
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Look at the ground between you and the game. Divide it into 25 yard increments. Much better than simply looking at the game.

Spy
11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Jeff had the perfect formula & 420 was pretty easy shooting for him still is,I just can't remember what it was ! Thats right he did not get a chance to explain it due to all the low shots thrown at him!