PDA

View Full Version : A first in our house

Phoneguy
01-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Up to now we have tried and enjoyed the ground venison, garlic coil and garlic dinner sausage that we had from our 1/3 of last Novembers deer, but we hadn't tried the steaks (or roast).

Tonight we had steak. Marinaded it in red wind, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and montreal steak seasoning for ~24 hours. Took a couple of recipes from the HBC cookbook and combined the ideas....George Foreman grill for 7 minutes (1 inch thick). They were perfect. My older daughter, the most ....timid....of wild game eaters hadn't been listening, after a couple of bites she said "wait, this is deer?" Served up with garlic onion chedder cheese mashed potatoes and a fresh salad....I guess I get to go hunting again:-D.

Thanks for the recipe ideas and putting the cookbook together!

James

moosinaround
01-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I almost prefer deer chops or deer steak to a moose steak. Can't say I like it better than elk though. Had my first elk this year and I think I'm hooked. I'm hoping Marc saves a HBC cook book for me from the 2nd run cause it sounds like there are some good meal ideas in it. Moosin

newhunterette
01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Up to now we have tried and enjoyed the ground venison, garlic coil and garlic dinner sausage that we had from our 1/3 of last Novembers deer, but we hadn't tried the steaks (or roast).

Tonight we had steak. Marinaded it in red wind, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and montreal steak seasoning for ~24 hours. Took a couple of recipes from the HBC cookbook and combined the ideas....George Foreman grill for 7 minutes (1 inch thick). They were perfect. My older daughter, the most ....timid....of wild game eaters hadn't been listening, after a couple of bites she said "wait, this is deer?" Served up with garlic onion chedder cheese mashed potatoes and a fresh salad....I guess I get to go hunting again:-D.

Thanks for the recipe ideas and putting the cookbook together!

James

great to hear about meals being prepped from the book :) - sounds yummy

Caveman
01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I've never bothered to do this before but my mom got me into doing moose cutlets. Thinly sliced moose steak coated in seasoned flour, (garlic powder,salt and pepper) and pan fried. To die for!!! Add a little french onion soup mix or mushroom soup to make gravy over mashed potatoes.....MMMMMM!!

Bow Walker
01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Those recipes in our cookbook ought to be good - they've been through the human consumption mill and they've passed. I don't think anyone would have submitted a recipe that was untried.

Having said that - I'm getting antsy already - waiting for the season to roll around again. I'm even contemplating going for Spring bear this year, and that's something that I swore I'd never bother doing.

Damned cookbook anyway...

newhunterette
01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Those recipes in our cookbook ought to be good - they've been through the human consumption mill and they've passed. I don't think anyone would have submitted a recipe that was untried.

Having said that - I'm getting antsy already - waiting for the season to roll around again. I'm even contemplating going for Spring bear this year, and that's something that I swore I'd never bother doing.

Damned cookbook anyway...

"no no no don't be dagnabbiting the cookbook" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:-D