PDA

View Full Version : Duck calls

Marc
01-19-2008, 11:05 PM
If you were to invest $50- $150 in a duck call what would be your pick and why? I've got the original wench call that I received when I first joined delta waterfowl a few years back but I'm sure there are better calls out there.

Marc.

BoomBoom
01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I have used a number of calls over the years. I prefer a $14 Haydel deceiver double and a Foiles Strait Meat single. I also have a Foiles Dead Meat on my lanyard but the tones are similar to the SM.

IMO can't beat acrylic for crispness and volume. CrazyF hasnt found significant difference in plastics vs acrlyics in duck calls. He may see this thread and comment.

...best ask a duck what they like!:smile:

boom....

Marc
01-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I guess duck calls are just like musical instruments. For some people it doesn't matter how long they've tried to learn they just don't know how to use them or make them sound right.(better off not calling at all) Some calls are easier to use then others for different kind of calling ( single reed double reed). I just found that most times when I was hunting that the real ducks I heard using the greeting call sounded deeper then the call I was using. My call is bringing them in I'm just wondering if a deeper sounding call would work more often.

Dano
01-20-2008, 12:31 AM
I like the old wooden calls. Mine are probably 30 years old. One is a Yentzen Caller, the other is an Olt DR115 (both are double reed calls). 'Ol Dan uses an old Olt Mark V (mark 5) single reed call.
I really like some of the new calls though, I don't know if stores will let you but I remember trying a couple different calls before I selected my Yentzen.
When I'm down at Cabelas, I'm going to check out a few of the acrylic/plastic calls.
Dan

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/calls.JPG

mattchu_19
01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
First off, Yes stores like Cabelas and Sportsmens Warehouse, and Joe's allow you test out call before you buy them. Everytime I go to one of the stores I like to make as much noise as I can. My favorite calls are Bill Saunders Guide series call thats all I use now. The new Coupe which is a single reed, is pure meat, and you can basically do anything on it. He also has the Ticket, Gravity, SS3 (which is a triple reed), and a poly FA double reed. All of theses calls are great. Not to mention some of the industries best goose call (All I blow for goose calls). And Bill is one of the best guys to deal with, weither its over the phone or by email, he's a stand up guy. He also has free tuning on all his calls and so much info of hunting. BoomBoom I think what Crazy_Farmer was meaning that if you compare a top dollar goose call to a cheap poly goose call you will be amazed at how big of a difference they sound. Where on duck calls, acrylics do sound louder and more crisp but do sound the same as a poly. I do think acrylics are better but you can find a good cheap poly call and it will sound just as good. Just my opinion.

Tanya
01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Tanya's hubby John here;

I use a Faulk's wa33 inexpensive single reed wooden call but excellent tone and volume. I always carry two as I've lost reeds and ends out of calls during hunts in the past. I also can't walk past a display of calls without wanting to try every single one. I find its good to change things up a little as well if you are hunting the same spot a lot. Having two people calling that know how and have slightly different calls can be deadly.

Gunner
01-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I carry the Foiles Dead Meat Mallard,one in single reed and one in double reed.It gives me 2 different tones to use on incomers.I've used a lot of calls over the last 40-odd years and I've not found one better than the Foiles,Exspensive,but worth it to me. Gunner

BoomBoom
01-20-2008, 10:47 AM
gunner...the 40 odd years is showing!!!

...I think it is the Foiles "Strait Meat" you are using?!

...I can never keep track of the calls you have on our hunts!:-?

....boom....

Crazy_Farmer
01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
There is a Folies Dead Meat Mallard. It's a bit newer then the SMM. I almost bought one when a couple months ago, but like I've said before my 20 dollar Duck commander, or free buck gardner duoble nasty that i got from Delta Waterfowl, is good enough. After a few hunts I will say I have seen a difference, in my brothers acrylic. A bit louder and crisper up top, he really turned around a couple high up flocks that didn't look like they wanted anything to do with us but they came in.

duckslayer
01-20-2008, 11:29 AM
On my lanyard currently i have a Foiles straight meat timber rattler for my close in work and a HS custom loudmouth for getting volume out there, they are both in the $150-200 range but i have heard nothing but good stuff coming out of the RNT Quackhead line of cheaper calls
Slayer

Marc
01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I ordered one of these last night and hopefully will have it by the end of the week. I've done a bit of review reading and it's mostly a close in call but that's pretty much what I'm looking for. When the birds are within 50 yards but just won't come in that extra 15-20 yard

http://www.canadianwaterfowlersproshop.com/images/power_hen.jpg

Gunner
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
BoomBoom is right, I use the Srait Meat Mallard,as does he!(my age IS catching up to me!)The single reed reaches WAY out,the double reed is for closer birds.Marc, I haven't used the Zink duck calls but I have 2 or 3 of their goose calls and they work just fine!Mostly use the Foiles tho'. Gunner

trett
01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
My favorite call is a doc hull "suzie" it is a single reed call that can produce hailing high balls to seductive low end.I have a tendency to produce a lot of saliva when I call this call will not stick.My next choice would be a lares call a-5 also a great non-sticking call.

porcupine
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I use a Glen Scobey mallard calls and the ducks seem to like it. It sounds more like a west coast duck than an eastern one.
________
Dodge St. Regis picture (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_St._Regis)

dave
01-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a couple of JJ Lares calls and I really like them. I think I like the A-5 (original) a little better than the T-1 (timber) but they both seem to work. The company was very easy to deal with and once I placed an order they showed up very quickly.

Dirty
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Ducklander calls are really nice!

zaconb
01-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I have a SMH can't use it at all, and several Gaston custom acrylics hand tuned yearly, can't use them either but they look great on my lanyard:-o

HuntNHookSports
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I am a terrible caller as well. Not a drop of musical talent here. I have a lanyard full of party horns.

Marc
01-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I am a terrible caller as well. Not a drop of musical talent here. I have a lanyard full of party horns.

:lol: your calling isn't that bad. I should have a closer look at your party horns and see what you have and what they sound like.

Zekeland
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
I have a cheaper Quakhead, double reed, and new this year, Microhen, cocobola.

Nothing but good reviews for all of RNT's Quakhead poly calls, I have used a few of them