PDA

View Full Version : Solo hunt to end season

mattchu_19
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Finished off the season with a pretty good solo hunt. Got 7 mallards, could of had my limit but waited for one more drake that didn't come. Me and Crazy_Farmer will be heading down to Oregon next weekend to pick up our new decoy spread from the boys at DSD. Should be a pretty good late season for geese. I will add the pictures later.

duckslayer
01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Congrats on the excellent sounding last day of duck's, looking forward to seeing some pic's
Slayer

Ian F.
01-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I thought you already had your spread?

I take it cableas will be in your plans?

Congrats on the shoot, them boys will be some good eating!

IAn

mattchu_19
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Yup, Cabelas and every other Sportsmens Warehouse in the Pacific Northwest. Ian, you can never have enough decoys. No, we were tired of hauling around 9 dozen decoys, so with lots of talk with the guys at DSD, we decide that 3 dozen of the most realalistic decoys would be much more effective on our geese. It seems that we are starting to get more and more of the weary lesser, cackler and tavs in our flyway that they get in Oregon and Washington. And the DSD's work, last time we were out we shot 7 geese after landing 100 lessers in just 8 DSD decoys.

Marc
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Have you tried stuffers? On the east coast they used stuffed geese for decoys in the fields and it works like a hot dam. Just have to be really careful transporting them.

mattchu_19
01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Lots of the guides in Washington and Oregon use them. The only thing about stuffers is that they wear out and get wrecked in the rain. And it rains all the time in the Fraser Valley. Look up Dave Smith Decoys on the net and you will see what I'm talking about.

Crazy_Farmer
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Here's the pictures from his hunt today.
http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/jan%2018th.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/jan18th2.jpg

Marc, also with the stuffers, I've considered them but to keep down the prices you have to pretty much do them yourselves as taxidermist cost would be crazy for 5 dozen. Guys who do it say they can skin and make them for around 10 dollars each which is amazing for the price but alot can go wrong. You leave them in the rain and then put them in a trailer in the warm they start to rot lol. Bugs and everything love to get in them and eat them. I do agree they probably look the best of any decoy but the hassle is too high to use them. Like my brother said we know guides who use them 90% of time but on the really bad weather days the dsds come out instead. And we hunt alot of rain here.

Also, I was coming back through maple ridge today around 4:00pm and was driving beside a guy if I remember right a white truck with a big canopy and was pulling little duck boat with grass and mesh on top, and he had a bc wildlife sticker on the truck, just wondering if that was any of you guys.

Ian F.
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
For some reason I thought you sold, or where trying to, your GHG spread and had replaced it with DSD's, so are you now just adding to a smaller spread of DSD's you already have?

In PEI the guides have 2 trailers, one with stuffers, one with plastics, none of them would purposely hunt them in the rain and the prices are $50 to $70 each and you have to provide the dead bird. Believe it or not, the geese get used to them too! One of the last hunts I did over there we used sillys and they outpreformed largely because everyone was using stuffers.

Nice batch of mallards, they'll be some tastey on the grill!

Ian

Schutzen
01-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Have you tried stuffers? On the east coast they used stuffed geese for decoys in the fields and it works like a hot dam. Just have to be really careful transporting them.

Hey Marc
You got a recipe for that goose stuffing...ummm I luv stuffing!:lol:

Crazy_Farmer
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Yep, we havent sold off the ghgs ones yet, still trying, anyone anyone?? lol but we are just adding more now. I agree geese get conditioned to anything that they see day in and day out, switching it up whether it be smaller numbers or different decoys but you should never show the geese the same spread day in day out.