PDA

View Full Version : Perfect shot?

oddsix
01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
just for fun to see if you guys think thats a good shot or not??

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/oddsix/HPIM5001.jpg

Steeleco
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Well it's dead!!! But for me it's a little too far forward.

swamper
If he died quick and you didn't have to chase him all over hell's half acre, yes it's a good shot.

hunter11
It's a good shot, maybe a bit forward, but took the bugger down. Nice 2 pt. Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
hes dead aint he ...

what was he shot with then i can you an anser to your question?

but might be a bit forward ... a little high (but depth perception in pictures suck)

but in my opinion any recovered game shot is a good shot .... its kinda like what pilots say ... any landing you walk away from is a good one

Fisher-Dude
01-15-2008, 06:52 PM
A few inches too far forward to have minimal meat loss, but the perfect thing is, he fell on the road! :cool:

bsa30-06
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
a little to far forward for my liking.....but dead is dead.

oddsix
01-15-2008, 06:59 PM
hey bowzone i was shooting a oddsix 180gr.

M.Dean
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Back about 2 inches and down just a touch! And if you can, make the shot go between the ribs going in, and between the ribs exciting the other side!!! And if you do that each time you take a deer, your a way better shot than I!!! Most honest hunters can tell about a few shots that didn't go as planned!!! I know i could!

Barracuda
01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
break the wheel and it wont roll.
To me a good shot is one that imobilizes the animal and makes it dead so ya i would say that fills the bill

moosinaround
your eating him instead of just dreaming of him. Good shot

Gateholio
I bet it dropped fast...no issues wihtthat shot.

FlyingHigh
01-15-2008, 07:45 PM
good enough for me. :D nice shooting, and a nice little buck.

tracker
01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I was so proud of my 12 year old son on this shot right through the heart and lungs.... as perfect ahttp://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/buckhuntnov2007102.jpg?t=1200451840s its going to get ...:wink:

Archive
01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
No. Not perfect.

But, I did the same on a doe. My bullet went for a walk inside. Ruined both roasts.
I don't like to waste meat, so I consider mine BAD.

Will
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I'll personnally reserve judgement till I see where it came out the other side:wink:

tomahawk
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
To me it could be like many others said and that is back 3 inches to minimize the damage to the meat. My uncle taught me that if they are close enough and\or you have a good rest try for the head, no damage to any meat that way!

rand
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Like Steeleco said he's dead.But whats wrong with his head.I would hope your gun shoots under a two inch group at a hundred.There's no meat loss that way,just make's for bad photos.

wolverine
01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Little high and a little forward to be my perfect shot but you got him.

oddsix
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
haha yeah he dropped on the spot like a sack of sh*t....thanks for all the advice

mark
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I guess it depends if & where you wanted to hit em???? If it were me, id bitchslap myself for missing the 4 point and hitting a 2 point! :eek: If the 2 point was yer target Id say you missed the head by at least 2 feet. Its all a matter of perspective! ;)

Gateholio
01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
haha yeah he dropped on the spot like a sack of sh*t....thanks for all the advice

Well then it's a pretty good shot;-)

On a broadside shot, I aim 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the animals chest, on the shoulder. Works for just abotu everything...:p

oddsix
01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
haha yeah that head sure is far away lol mark

270 short mag.
01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Could be better-could be worst!!
Nice shot.

3kills
01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
like others have said a lil far forward and u probably got a lil meat damage right but again like others have said he dropped and he is dead...the last few deer i have shot i have nailed there shoulders not on purpose of couse but things dont always go as planned...

bcboy
01-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Damm fine shot..good clean kill and ya posted a picture to prove it too!!

2 thumbs up.

Shade Tree
01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I would be happy with that.

Deerwhacker
01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
with the leg forward id like the shot to be 5 " down. the animal will travel 0 yards and it would be my ideal heart shot.

JoshLedoux
01-15-2008, 10:47 PM
you can clearly see he missed the X ring by almost a whole 1/16 of an inch.

hunter1947
01-16-2008, 05:13 AM
That shot will put him down fast alright ,but it also killed two shoulders, waist of meat both sides. Standing broadside the shot should have been back 6 inches. It would have gone right through both ribs and only waisted a couple rib bones ,definitely a bad shot on my opinion.

longleader
01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I agree with Will completely. Is this the entrance or exit hole, and where is the other one, assuming a pass through?

Good work anyway, looks like some fine table fare there for sure. And unless it was really close, a head shot is not always the wisest choice for more than one reason.........much better through the ribs.;-)

Walksalot
01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I can't say it's a perfect shot, I can't say it is a good shot, I can say it's a decent shot. A little farther back would result in less meat damage. This being said with out seeing the other side.
The perfect shot is the animal never hears the shot that killed it.

Tanya
01-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Tanya's hubby John here;

Gotta agree with hunter1947. This is a meat deer and 6 inches back would have wasted a lot less meat. Having said that, if this is someones first deer it was a lethal shot that probably put the deer down in its tracks so good work. Deer rarely stand perfectly broadside long enough for us to be as precise as we would always like.

Barracuda
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
in reality how much meat was actually wasted????

mikek blacktail
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
any quick clean kill is a great shot but I'de aim behind the shoulder.

Fisher-Dude
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
in reality how much meat was actually wasted????

60% if it was a Nosler Partition ;-).

The bonded bullets that we use now do result in less damage.

Sometimes, I've found that even a rib to rib shot will result in bloodshot between the layers if the animal does the 30 yard death run. I've taken to hitting my deer a bit higher and clipping the spine, or a neck shot, if the opportunity is there and the range is close. But, conditions need to permit that shot (less than 100 yards, a stationary deer, and a solid rest), and hunting situations don't always allow that "meat saver" shot to occur.

BCrams
01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Sometimes, I've found that even a rib to rib shot will result in bloodshot between the layers if the animal does the 30 yard death run. I've taken to hitting my deer a bit higher and clipping the spine, or a neck shot, if the opportunity is there and the range is close. But, conditions need to permit that shot (less than 100 yards, a stationary deer, and a solid rest), and hunting situations don't always allow that "meat saver" shot to occur.

And on the road.

Fisher-Dude
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
And on the road.

That's a given. :wink:

Barracuda
01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
If you are that worried about meat loss switch to a 30-30 or other similer sensibly moving round , stop useing ultra fast whizzbangers and and if you do make sure that the animal is 200m away so the bullet doesnt blow up.
I think more meat is lost because people feel the need to go for these latest and greatest long range rounds when most of the hunting conditions are a sub 100M and the bullets very often cant take it.

meat loss in reality is inconsiquential as long as you can retrieve the animal .

I am more then willing to accept meat loss rather then animal loss

meat keeper
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I would prefer a head shot to call it perfect(no meat loss).If he went down as fast as you say than close enough.

Mr. Dean
01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
meat loss in reality is inconsiquential as long as you can retrieve the animal .
Amen......

Gateholio
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Amen......

x2

It's a coupel of lbs of ground or stew meat..not enough to get worried about. Most imprtant is that you go tthe animal.

Fisher-Dude
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
X3. It doesn't matter how much jelly there is on an animal, I always remind the butcher to "cut big" around it. :cool:

tomahawk
01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I do agree that the shot was effective and brought the animal down and I have taken many animals in the front shoulder however if we are sticking with the name of the thread " Perfect Shot", this shot was not and could have been placed better if all conditions were in the hunters favour.

Danny
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
broad side :to far ahead
1/4 away : looks bad
1/4 towards :looks bag on
All depends.
Still dead and it's better than in the guts

LeverActionJunkie
01-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Good Shooting enjoy the venison!

pork n beans
01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
2 inches behind the eye would have been ideal. but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. you dont' get much off the front shoulders anyway so you ****ed up a bit of ground/sausage meat. I do all my own cutting and it's a pain in the ass when there's bone/bullet fragments and blood shot meat. It takes a lot more time than just deboning so i'm fussy. Guys who take their meat away probably aren't so fussy.

gutting them is cleaner too when head shot no blood every where and messed up guts. i like to eat the hearts and livers so i try not to shoot them in the body if i can help it. But i won't pass up a shooter though if i gotta lung shot them. animal down meat in the freezer is priority. lose a bit of meat, well i'm gonna get more than one so it'll all average out in the end.

i don't care about cracking skulls and scoring. i'm a meat slut

Caveman
01-17-2008, 06:18 PM
meat loss in reality is inconsiquential as long as you can retrieve the animal.

Ask yourself this....... Would you take the same shot placement on an elk or moose? Myself I perfer to take it just above and behind the elbow. Little to no waste, and the animal will go down instantly or shortly there after. Way too much to waste on the larger animals with the shot shown. If you're an "American Headhunter" the shot taken is perfect. Just my two cents worth!!

brotherjack
01-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Any shot that knocks critter dead in his tracks is superior to any shot that lets critter run any distance at all after the shot. That being the primary criteria, and the report that the critter fell in his tracks - shot was approximately, if not exactly, perfect. :)

Barracuda
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Ask yourself this....... Would you take the same shot placement on an elk or moose? Myself I perfer to take it just above and behind the elbow. Little to no waste, and the animal will go down instantly or shortly there after. Way too much to waste on the larger animals with the shot shown. If you're an "American Headhunter" the shot taken is perfect. Just my two cents worth!!

:lol::lol::lol:

or a Canadian headhunter , or even any kind of head hunter for that matter.
I have seen just as many trophy hunters in canada as anywhere else so that is kindo of an asinine statement not to mention rather insulting to our American friends on here.

ask yourself how much meat you actually lose in % and then ask yourself if the animal was that % smaller would you still shoot it?

for me i will take incapacitation every time regardless of animal .

Caveman
01-17-2008, 10:43 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

or a Canadian headhunter , or even any kind of head hunter for that matter.
I have seen just as many trophy hunters in canada as anywhere else so that is kindo of an asinine statement not to mention rather insulting to our American friends on here.

ask yourself how much meat you actually lose in % and then ask yourself if the animal was that % smaller would you still shoot it?

for me i will take incapacitation every time regardless of animal .

Just an observation from all the hunting shows or videos you see. They all take that same shot regardless where there are from. When you put a shell through the middle of a shoulder on say a mature bull moose whose fronts run 170lbs each and you knock out 20% due to blood shot it translates to 76lbs of normally very edible tasty meat. Too much waste for me. If the bull runs twenty or thirty yards and you salvage the 76lbs or knock it down on the spot, is it still worth saying it dropped on the spot. Besides out of all the moose I've shot behind the shoulder, I'd have to say that only one or two went more than ten yards. More times than not, they only take a couple strides and stand there for one in the neck or drop shortly after. They are not known for running off. A goat on the edge of a ridge is a different story though, because you want it down as quick as possible, then I would take the square on shoulder shot.

browningboy
01-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Off a bit on his Y axis and a little off on his X axis, but like others say, hes dead!:cool:

Deerwhacker
01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Bullet choice is my biggest concern when it comes to meat loss,the last whitetail I shot through the shoulders and I could eat up to the hole(least amount of blood shot yet ) it was also the same with our moose this year. Befour I switched from accubond to tsx I had tonnes of blood shot no matter where I hit.

Ajsawden
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
i once shot the balls off a squirrel at 600 yards, found him with a rope around his neck hanging from a tree... guess he lost his will to live. no meat lost there.

Gateholio
01-18-2008, 12:56 AM

Sure, I'd take the same shot....As I said before, 1/3 from the bottom of the chest, on the shoulder, drops them fast...The amount of meat loss is small compared to the amount of meat harvested...

Many hunters leave much of the edible carcass behind,anyway. Organs, tongue, meat between ribs, moose nose etc...Unless you consistently pack all that out, your argument is a little one sided.:-P

hunter1947
01-18-2008, 05:07 AM
If you are after a trophy animal you drop it were it stands and taking out the shoulders would be a good shot ,but like someone else said hear that if it is a moose or other big game animal if shot in the shoulder would damage to much meat ,that in my books then would be a misplaced shot.

2slow
01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Perfect shot depends on what kind of terrain the animal is in. I had a muley this year that was in some really steep terrain that i didn't want to go anywhere ie. walk of the cliff behind him so I shouldered him. If he was in the wide open I would have gone for the lung shot because I would not have cared if he wandered a little afterwards.

Caveman
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I could eat up to the hole

So I guess a "Texas Heart Shot" wouldn't be out of the question then....................................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeverActionJunkie
01-18-2008, 11:40 AM
If you are that worried about meat loss switch to a 30-30 or other similer sensibly moving round , stop useing ultra fast whizzbangers and and if you do make sure that the animal is 200m away so the bullet doesnt blow up.
I think more meat is lost because people feel the need to go for these latest and greatest long range rounds when most of the hunting conditions are a sub 100M and the bullets very often cant take it.

I am more then willing to accept meat loss rather then animal loss

Amen Brotha :wink:

Marlin375
01-19-2008, 05:25 PM
If he was on the move and you were shooting free hand or open sights....Great shot.

If he was standing on the road.......you missed his head by 1.5 feet.

Although as others have said half a deer is better than no deer.
Do your own butchering and you will soon be able to judge for yourself (IH8REDJELLY)

waistdeep
01-20-2008, 06:34 PM
45/70 = no jelly

The Hermit
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
If that is the exit wound and the animal had been sllghtly quartering away and uphill from the hunter then yeah damn fine shot. :-)

wsm
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
no worries . there's not enough meat on the front should blade to warrant getting bothered about it. perfect shot!

Blainer
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I would think you broke his shoulder and caught the top of the lungs.Did the job.I would call it a good shot on a moose or bear,as a broken front shoulder will drop them in there tracks.It always sucks tracking a moose,as we eventually have to haul it out.

GoatGuy
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
That's a good, killing shot. Better too far forward than too far back. Start shooting back and you start running out of vitals and get into other places.

With premium bullets that don't explode on impact you'll get 5 lbs max. The bull moose we got this year had the bullet go through both front shoulders and stick on the hide on the far side. Shot might have been 70 yrds. Basically just the meat touching the bullet whole was unusable. When we cut it up there was a small handful of meat that was damaged on each shoulder. No partitions = no bloodshot. :lol:

Yes, I like shoulder shots.