PDA

View Full Version : field trials and hunt test schedule

BoomBoom
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
There have been a few questions regarding hunting dogs lately. I thought this would be a good link for people that may be interested in watching a retriever field trial or a hunt test in BC to see what the 2 games are all about.

Both trials and hunt tests have evolved to simulate hunting conditions. Hunt Tests are much less formal and simulate actual hunting scenarios much better than Field Trials. Field Trials (arguably) require much more refined retriever work. To participate in this game requires both a good dog and consistent training.

My love of waterfowling really got me involved with both these games in the mid 90's. To see a well trained retriever do his job and do it with style and enthusiasm is something absolutely remarkable.

I highly recommend anyone that is interested in seeing retrievers do what they were bred to do go out and see what these events are all about.

You can also meet many avid dog trainers and breeders that can hook you up with some good local breeders that will help find a retriever should you be in the market for a new pup.

This is not a "show"...these dogs are not bred for confirmation....these dogs are bred for field work.

hope to see you out at one of these events!

For those of you on the lower mainland, the first field trial is the BC Gun Dog Club in April. The first Hunt Test is in April.

link:www.nrcc-canada.com

....boom....

Jimbo
01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I went to the hunt test last April. It was very well organized from start to finish and watching the masters division was amazing !! I've never personally seen dogs with that level of training in the fields and marshes where I hunt. Makes me want to get out and around more.

Jimsue
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
see ya there

Buck
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Are these trials strictly for Labs or are there any versatile breeds involved?

Jimsue
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
field trials are for any of the retriever breeds, water spaniels and standard poodles, I think the hunt tests are the same but you could check on the CKC web site for rules.

BoomBoom
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
buck...

field trials and hunt test are 2 different events. They are not open to other breeds like jimsue said. 75% of the dogs are labs followed by goldens, the odd chessie, and the very odd flatcoat, toller.

Field Trials have a winner,2nd, 3rd, 4th, certificate of merits (CM). The CM is given to the dogs that complete all series of tests but fail to be in the top 4. If your dog fails to complete the test or does not satisfy the judges criteria for challenging the test, he is dropped from further competion. Field trials, like hunt test,challenge dogs in a series of water rerives and land retrieves.

Field trial have 3 levels, open (highly trained dogs), qualifying (mid- level dogs), and junior (dogs <2 years old). Most of us hunters would love to have a dog that could compete at the junior level!....an open dog ( and I have had the good fortune of hunting over 2 FTCH/AFTCH (titled dogs) and these dogs are absolutely amazing creatures to see them work at this level. Most hunting retrieves are say 30-50 yards...picture multiple marks (retrieves) at 350-400+ yards typical of a final series in an open level field trial!!!

Hunt tests do not have a winner but all dogs are put in tests that are set to a CKC standard...the dog either gets the chicken and brings 'er home and after completion of all the tests, they get a ribbon. After a specified # of passes they are awarded a title....ie/ MH (master hunter),SH senior hunter, JH junior hunter. Now this may start some feedback....just because your dog has a JH title doesn't really mean it is a good hunting dog. Reality is that they are only 50 yard retrieves, generally pretty staight forward stuff. Some pretty basic training should give your dog enough to pass a JH test. Often some breeders advertise that "the sire or bitch is titled"..if its a JH it really doesn't mean much. Many people in the show ring try to get their "show dogs" a JH title to prove that it has some field smarts...not really the case....any lab worth calling a retriever, should be able to get a JH title with a bit of training.

...my more than 2 bits....boom...:)