PDA

View Full Version : Take it to the limit

Marc
01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Well I have to say, this has got to be the best duck shoot I've ever been on. Don't really know how to describe it. It was a field hunt but the field was flooded so it was like hunting over water. I chased a couple of ducks that I had water almost to the top of my waders to the point I had to lift up on my jacket so it wouldn't get soaked. :mrgreen:

Tanya and one of their friends (can't remember his name for the life of me) had to leave early because their friends dog was shivering so bad his teeth where chattering. Tanya took the two ducks( Mallard & Widgeon) home that she had shot at that point so we wouldn't have to carry anymore weight out then we'd have too, which I'm glad she did and you're about to find out why.

Shortly after it was like someone had turned a switch it was just john and I and the ducks just started pouring in. My mouth was getting sore from calling and changing up from mallard call to Widgeon whistle. By the time the smoke and feathers cleared John and I managed to scratch 15 birds in the span of two hours. 9 Mallards and 6 Widgeon for a morning total of 17 ducks from the same blind in 2 hours. 10 mallards and 7 Widgeon.

I guess the widgeon decoys were a good buy and worth dragging them out this morning. Today was the first time I shot my limit of ducks since I moved here in 2003. I'm sure John was holding back and letting me do most of the shooting because shortly before I got to my limit he was scratching them left and right himself. John made some impressive shots today.

The first duck of the morning was a huge mature mallard drake that I've now got put aside to get mounted.

Their Black Lab Rain I think his name is made the majority of the retrieves today. So enjoyable hunting over a retriever.

When we got back to Tanya and John's house, Tanya had made up a big breakfast for us with homemade bread, omelets, sausages, bacon, and coffee. They're not going to be able to get ride of me so easily next time if they keep treating me like that.:mrgreen:

Thanks again to Tanya and John for their Hospitality and an awesome hunt.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/John_with_ducks.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Excellent_day_of_ducks.JPG

Crazy_Farmer
01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Very nice, looks like you keep getting into those good coloured wigeon there too, I was surpised we only heard a couple flocks of wigeon this morning but normally they're all over us. Congratulations on the limit!

Sasquatch
01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a great day and a helluva breakfast afterward to boot!

kloosterboer
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats on an awesome hunt!!!!

newhunterette
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
looks like it was a really fun and eventful day Marc - congrats buddy and to Tanya and John also

Ali

bc sportsman
01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Well done and congrats

Tanya
01-12-2008, 07:50 PM
It was a fun morning for sure, glad you could make it out Marc, it was a pleasure. Ya, brainless here forgot to put her vest on under the jacket, got a wet neck and started to get cold. It's was OK, not like I'd had a poor season so far. Fred's dog Dex is a German Short Hair, a heck of a nose and very determined, but not built for frigid waters followed by waits. Poor dog's teeth were chattering so loud I could hear them 20 feet away. I gave him the name of someone I know that makes dog vests. All in all a great morning, good company, and lots of ducks. Hope we can get out again before the season closes. Nice pics Marc!

Schutzen
01-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Nice hunt congrats to all. Maybe them new dekes are lucky, eh Marc.

Marc
01-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Talk about pluckers cramp:biggrin:. Got all the ducks done up except for a couple of widgeon I plan on using for training the dog. Taking a break before I bag em and freeze them.

I was going to roast up one of the mallards tonight but by the time the plucking and gutting was done it was to late. I'll set one aside for supper tomorrow.

Elkhound
01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
nice job people. I really need to do some waterfowling

fuzzwilkens
01-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Congrats on a great day, a great hunt and limiting out!

huntwriter
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Congratulations Marc, sound like you have had a really great time. Hopefully next year I can get out too and enjoy waterfowl hunting. Your post sure made me eager to learn proper calling and duck hunting tactics. I haven’t been on a waterfowl hunt since my childhood, but as I said next year I will give it a try.

kennyj
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Looks like you had a great day out there.I might have to try that sometime.
Nice photos.

Dano
01-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Excellent bag of ducks and nice photos. You must have paid attention in Ian's duck photography 101 practical class!
It was so slow last weekend I was ready to pull the plug and sleep in this weekend,... 'ol Dan had other plans though and we went both days (although I slept in sunday and he had to bang on the door to wake me :smile:

Saturday we had the marsh to ourselves and there were quite a few birds around. We brought home 10 mallards but had a number of flights skirt by us just out of range. Today the weather was great, wind was in our favour and a couple other guys were out there helping to move birds around. A couple decent flocks came in and we knocked a couple birds out of each. The singles and small flights came in good and we were limited out on mallards by 10:30.
Our season ends in the marsh wednesday as that's the last day available before the season ends. I find out if I have the the day off tommorrow, I'm looking forward to it more than I was friday!
Hope you all have a great finish to the season, my camera battery died today but I'll take some pics wednesday and try to shoot more video.
Dan

Jager-mister?
01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Great day Marc! Congrats, always a special feeling the first time you limit out! I myself went out this evening around 3:30 for the night flight. Got right into the middle of it, ended up with bag-full of Mallards, Wigeon and a pair of Green Wing Teal.

Mr. Dean
01-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Great job folks. Looks like "Good time had by all".

Elkhound
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Great job folks. Looks like "Good time had by all".

well "all" but the ducks:lol:

Mr. Dean
01-14-2008, 03:25 PM
poor lill' ducky's.

Elkhound
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
poor lill' ducky's.

Poor YUMMY lill' ducky's:lol:

Marc
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I had one of the mallards for supper last night and man was it good. I put it in a French white with some carrots, turnip, and whole red potatoes and two hours later at 350 it was ready to eat.

HuntNHookSports
01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Green with envy here. Good work Marc!

Spent the last two days trying to get the widgeons on the mud flats during low tide but no luck. Yesterday we (the dog and I) only got 1 mallard and a diver. This evening we got nothing and the wind was in our favor. Lots of ducks flying around the dekes 5 or more times but no commiters. Two weeks ago there was about 500 widgeon around but now there is less then 100. The blind is spooking them I think. Next year we will use our new lay down blind in the boat.

It is snowing in Cow Bay right now and that could change our luck.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/CowBay011308.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/CowBay011308b.jpg

Marc
01-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I think a lot of the widgeon are over feeding in the flooded fields. We saw an amazing amount of widgeon coming in and out of them on Saturday..

Tanya
01-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Went for a walk Monday afternoon, not much down to the fields, just a few groups of mallards, but it was 4:00 clear and sunny. They did get hit here lots on the weekend, so a couple days and they may be back.

Did some breasts up last night. Very light brush of BBQ, sear, roast for 10, stand. Lightly fried up 2 big whole portabellas, onions and a strip of bacon. Sliced the duck thin, stacked it all on thin burger "buns" with a little BBQ sauce, and oh my was that good!

Schutzen
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Went for a walk Monday afternoon, not much down to the fields, just a few groups of mallards, but it was 4:00 clear and sunny. They did get hit here lots on the weekend, so a couple days and they may be back.

Did some breasts up last night. Very light brush of BBQ, sear, roast for 10, stand. Lightly fried up 2 big whole portabellas, onions and a strip of bacon. Sliced the duck thin, stacked it all on thin burger "buns" with a little BBQ sauce, and oh my was that good!

Thanx Tanya got drool all over the damn keyboard again.:lol: