PDA

View Full Version : Just got offered my dream hunt

Hilgy
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Well one of the guys that I work with out here in AB has a extra horse for his annual sheep/elk/deer trip this year and has offered it to me. I almost fell over when he asked if I would be interested.

I have been picking his brain quite a bit since I moved out here just over a year ago and he has always been great with giving me places to try and landowners numbers and stuff but when he mentioned this I almost hugged him.

So other that getting into way better shape and going down to spend a few days learning to ride(only been on a horse once) any other gear or things I could get that would be horse back trip specific.

Now if time would just go by a little bit faster:D

Hilgy

tomahawk
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
May I be so bold as to suggest you spend more than a few days riding, not just to learn but if you intend on being on its back for most of the day you will be stiffer than steel when you get off if you haven't got use to it!

Derek_Erickson
01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
keep your gun on your shoulder so when the horse bucks you off, you can shoot it! Can't shoot a runaway horse with the gun in the scabbard, happened to someone I know, I was actually very close, quite humorable

frenchbar
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
A horn bag is nice to have for packing a little extra things with ya.example..12 pack of beer.nice and conveinent for the ride in.

hunter11
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
PIMP.CONGRATS MAN:cool:

frenchbar
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
If your riding along steeper ground where your horse might lose footing . keep your feet out of the stirrups.easier to bail if something happens.

steveo32
01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I say dont even try and get in shape make the horses do all the work for ya ! Well that is only my thoughts and yes i have been a horseback hunting guide for the last 4 years :biggrin:

All kidding aside try and get some riding in before the hunt and dont do as derek said put your rifle in the scabbard, not only will it not get beat to sh!t it will save you the cash you will have to pay when you dump your buddies horse with a nice running double lunger! I know what derek means but you jsut wait until you make it out then shoot him ;-)

steve

frenchbar
01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
definatly Rifle stays in scabbard till its ready to use.

Krico
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Assless chaps:razz:

daycort
01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Ask your friend with the horses if you are going to be in the thick brush. IF he says yes I would look into getting a pair of shotgun chaps . They are a lot easier to walk in, better in the rain and are a little warmer as well then batwing chaps in my opinion. And go riding as much as you can and just go be around them so you can learn there temperment. Slow movements and lots of low calm talking helps relax the horse and then they will learn to trust you. And most of all be confident, horses can detect a scared person better then a dog.

rocksteady
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Depending on your build and your saddle fit, it can be really painful on long rides on the old keester....

Having less than usual padding on my bones, I have a gel seat (like on a bicycle) that fits on my saddle. Makes all the difference in the world, don't get a sore butt and its also fairly warm in the colder temps.

You can get them from Greenhawk (Ontario) for around $50 (if I remember correctly)

BCrams
01-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Sounds like fun! Ride horses lots prior to your trip and you'll be in fine condition to hunt.

Hilgy
01-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys,

I was just talking to Don about getting some time in the saddle. We work 15/6 shift so I will probably head down to his farm for a few sets of days off.

His horses have been in this country lots and he says he could basicly tie me to the horse and it would take me to camp.

I was a little worried about being stiff but he says that it is not that long of a ride into camp and then only a couple hours a day from camp if that.

Any good reads out there for hunting and judging sheep. I never really thought that I would get a chance to hunt them(read fat *******) so havent done much research.

Keep the ideas coming boys

Thanks Hilgy

pupper
01-11-2008, 10:14 AM
dont shoot when on the horse :)
and some riding practise would be very beneficial to get your leg, thigh and groin muscles prepped.

rocksteady
01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Ensure that your stirrups are adjusted properly to fit your leg length...If they are too short you will get knee pain so bad that you can't walk..

When you stand up in the stirrups, you should only have about an inch of clearnce from the saddle to your family jewels....(No pictures attached)

model88
01-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Definantly take the time to ride, ride, ride....well you get the point. Knowing how too ride helps both you and your horse. It may only be a couple of hours every day, but it takes a toll on your body and when you spot that cranker ram on the top of a mountain where the horses can't take you.....yer gunna have to walk there.

Its a good thing you get to practice on the horses you will be using, have had hunters come in saying how they have been riding for months, which is awesome except our horses are big plain and simple. Have seen many guys in pain who have riden or have their own horses, every horse is different.

No not to spoil your fun, but I have to share what an old timer said to me a few years ago while riding horses. He told me about his father in-law raising racing horse, then he proceeded to tell me " son every horse was put on this earth for one reason and one reason only.....to one day kill a man " ..........lol I near fell outta my saddle.

The Hermit
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I have almost no experience with horses other than a couple "trial" rides in the Rockies when I was young and in shape. Even after a one hour ride I was sore for a week! If I were you mate I'd get out there and ride as often as possible.

Oh BTW I know you dig this but YOU are one lucky SOB!!! I'm so jealous!

bruin
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
That is going to be an awesome trip no matter what Higly, even if you can't walk when you are done it will be one of the greats. There are alot of good threads on here about sheep hunting if you search them out, not a tonne on bighorns I am afraid but the gear will be much the same as will hunting styles. A good resource for gear lists would be some of the outfitters websites, they usually have a really good idea of what you will need(ex. http://www.bignine.com/CI_suggestedgear.htm). Try and pic the guys that do horseback sheep hunts as the gear will be more specialized.
As far as books and info try Jack O'connor's books, he did alot of horseback sheep hunts. ONe suggestion that I would make is to be pcky about your pack, you need something that you can comfortably ride in but can also expand to fit half a sheep if you have to pack it out of the cliffs.
Hope this helps.

Hilgy
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey thanks guys,

Model88, ya the hike up to where the horses cant go is why I just put together the new tredmill and am finally getting serious about getting in shape.

Bruin, my first thought was that I dont care if I need to take an extra two weeks off to recover I'm making this happen.

The area we will be going boarders the park and holds some huge rams as well as elk. The deer are just average but I have seen what my buddy calls average I call TOADS.

I probably should have waited a few months to start this thread I'm losing sleep already.

Hilgy

boxhitch
01-12-2008, 07:21 AM
If your riding along steeper ground where your horse might lose footing . keep your feet out of the stirrups.easier to bail if something happens.IMO not a good idea. you need your feet in the stirrups for your own balance, if the horse stumbles or slips. You should only be riding with the ball of foot on the stirrup anyways, easy to get out. Tapaderos are an essential on saddles I have anything to do with.

boxhitch
01-12-2008, 07:24 AM
I never really thought that I would get a chance to hunt them(read fat *******) so havent done much research.

You will want to be in some kind of hiking condition, and have good boots. The horses won't take you everywhere, and if your Bud looks after them, you will be riding them up and walking the down.

Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

Thunderstix
01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh man you lucky bugger! That is on my list of dream hunts also!

boxhitch
01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
A horn bag is nice to have for packing a little extra things with ya.example..12 pack of beer.nice and conveinent for the ride in.Remember to keep the load balanced. Have a counter weight for your rifle/scabbard.
May require two-handed beer drinking.

proguide66
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Aside from the horse ride advice....I would suggest the most important thing you take is good optics.......if you dont have good bino's yet start saing now and buy em....have had many hunters bring ' nasty' glass's on a sheep hunt..let them look through good glass and they get wayy bumbed out , then only 2 out of 4 eyes is doin it all........good luck... ( your scabbard side knee is going to be in pain no matter what).......

srupp
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
SO much on sheep hunting ..optics good optics are a must..a ****trick **** I have used in the past is get your self a couple pairs of full pantyhose..ya ya yuk it up..however they keep you warm when its cold and the horse is doing all the work saddle blankets keep a LOT of horse heat from reaching you..ALSO #1 REASON..YOU DONT GET RUBBED RAW..amazing how sore you will get from getting rubbed as the horse moves..

Setting proper stirrup length is essential..to short and your knees take a horrible beating = crippled for hours...too long and your jewels and ass take a pounding worth getting this one right..

Steven

Wildfoot
01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
buy some wrangler jeans. They are essential for a comfy horseride. The leg seams are reversed so there is less material between your legs. And they fit tight so you dont have clothing rubbing all day! And tightywities are much better than boxers while in the saddle - unless you like the feeling of cloth in the crack!
Tapaderos are also very handy - especially if you have not rode horse a lot. Its a lot easier to get proper foot position with them, and there is little chance your foot will slip through the stirrup and get caught. Just one less thing to worry about so you have more time to enjoy the ride!

MIL720
01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Assless chaps:razz:
Yee Haw......

Hilgy
01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas and advise.

Srupp, if I try the pantyhose thing I dont think I will be telling anyone about it. What do you mean about the saddle blankets?? Are they a good thing or a bad thing??

Hilgy

rocksteady
01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
If you are leery of being caught wearing panty hose you could always try a pair of Under Armour lightweight underwear. They are more like a second skin than panty hose and do help you stay very warm.

I bought a couple pairs of similar ones (Cooper MVP) at my local Giant Tiger store for 12 bucks a pair and they really help me stay warm when I am just wearing jeans. When I wear my winter camo for yotes, I wear them and then another set of medium weight johns and then my insulated winter camo....20 below is nice and toasy....

I think what he is getting at with the saddle blankets is that the horse is working and putting off some good warmth, but the saddle blankets prevent it from getting to you.....