PDA

View Full Version : What to do with $150?

BoomBoom
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
further to the spin wing debate...how would you spend $150 to augment your existing decoy spread?

Crazy_Farmer
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM
LoL spend it on gas scouting out new locations. The one thing about calls though, the difference in price from acrylic to plastic is normally around $100, most normal models are from 10-30 dollars and high end ones around 100-130. The pricing is around the same for duck and goose calls. But to be honest we own alot of each kind of calls, multiple 100 dollar goose calls and a couple 20 dollar ones, the sound and range is night and day when it comes to goose calls, you can easily tell the difference in short reed goose calls. Now duck calls are another case, for the life of me if you blew 4 different calls 2 $20 ones and 2 $100 ones I cant find a difference. I would differently save the money and just buy a quality low buck duck call, duck commander, buck gardner or primos can easily do everything a high end zink or any other acrlyic call do, you may just find the sound is more solid or steady up in the top end of the call with the acrylic

Dirty
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Invest it in some sort of blind. Decoys are useless if you stick out like a sore thumb.

kloosterboer
01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
BBQ Duck All the Way!!!

BoomBoom
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure I totally agree with you on the cheap call thing. Judging from the way my hunting partner swings birds when he calls he is an excellent caller. Over the years, we have gone from the more affordable calls to the stupidly expensive acrylics...they are crisper and you get way more volume on many models. I always recall him on one day several years ago when we both lived in Vancouver. We were hunting the usual haunts in Ladner. He was using a $14 Haydels deciever call....this day stands out and I remember him really pulling birds...and I mean birds!...bunches that appeared to have flight plans filed!

I went home and ordered a Haydel. To this day I still pull it out and compare it to my acrylics...

so...I'm sticking with my opinion...acrylics are better and money well spent. I have to say this to justify to my wife and satisfy my inner-self that I didn't waste my money!!;)

...but you know....knowing when and how to call is key really.

...boom...

HuntNHookSports
01-09-2008, 11:14 PM
An orthopedic dog bed with his name embroidered on it.

Tanya
01-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Kinda torn between more decoys and more ammo. More decoys= more to carry, but then we could replace some of our more aged ones. More ammo in the cabinet just makes me feel rich, but then only briefly :smile:

mattchu_19
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
If I had an extra $150 I would either buy another Bill Saunders call or buy more DSD's.

kaptkannon
01-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Definitely buy more ammo - Can never have too much.

Tanya
01-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Tanya's hubby John here;

More ammo.

I use a 20$ wooden goose call from Walmart. Have a bunch I paid way more for but can't get the same tone. A friend had one that I tried and I liked the sound so much I went out and bought one for myself. Also use wooden duck calls again because to me the tone is better, but you have to try a lot to find THE one.