PDA

View Full Version : Pics from my blind in Oregon

diggerpax
01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
These pics are from my duck blind in Oregon. The hunting has been pretty good this year with mostly wigeon, and a few greenheads, teal, and the occasional goose. To get to the blind is just over a 2 mile walk, then a short canoe ride to a small island. Needless to say I stash me canoe and gear- carrying it in has about killed my back. My dog is a 1 1/2 year old Golden- she's and absolute doll, and her training is coming along well- her 4th water retrieve was about 40 yards on a big Canada- I was too proud for words.

Crazy_Farmer
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Good looking dog, geez a 2 mile walk and THEN a canoe ride aswell, thats some rough goings. When dogs encounter geese for the first time, either a. the goose fights back and the dog is scared and probably wont want to retrieve any or b. just get more aggressive and grab hold of that goose and bring it back. You know you've got a good dog when it does b.

diggerpax
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
She has huge shoes to fill, but she's starting pretty well. I didn't want to let myself thing it was 2 miles, so I kept telling myself it was about a mile- then I looked it up on google- sort of hurt a little. I've had a hard time finding ducks on public land, so it's either put in some work, or sit and watch them fly high.

Jimbo
01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Is there any competition at the end of that 2 mile hike or do you have the place to yourself ?

diggerpax
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I've seen a couple guys in where I am, but very seldom. I haven't seen anyone on the small island though- I don't think many people would carry in a boat, and are too afraid to leave it for fear it would be stolen or shot up. I figure a 225 dollar canoe is worth a good season. They're going to have to want it pretty badly to carry it out of there. I'm sure not looking forward to it. That is one great looking dog you have- reminds me of my last lab. Is that a regular vest, or does it have floatation? I've been looking into getting one with floatation, but was wondering if it makes that big of difference.

Jimbo
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
To be honest, I swiped that pic from the DU gallery because it looks a lot like my dog so I can't give a recommendation on the vest. IMHO flotation probably isn't as important as keeping them warm in extreme cold.
I've got to get this new digital camera figured out .