PDA

View Full Version : Epicurious.com for recipes

Blktail
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I tried a few recipes from this site, using venison instead of beef. WOW!
Try Mahogany Beef Stew, but use 1/3 the hoisin sauce they suggest unless you like really rich sauce. I also added parsnips and celery and served it up with Garlic mashed potatoes.

Venison medallions in red wine sauce is next. And venison with a Madeira sauce. And Coq au vin. And venison Cassoulet.

I'm going to get fat just browsing that site.

RBH
01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks, I will try some of those. There are awesome recipes on the web. In addition to Epicurious, try BBC Food: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ . There are tons of venison recipes on there. A recipe from Epicurious that gets rave reviews is MEDALLIONS OF VENISON WITH PORT AND CRANBERRIES.

But this is what I do and it is simple, quick and delicious.

Cut venison medallions say 3/4" - 1" thick.

Make a marinade of 3/4 oil and 1/4 soy sauce into which put a bunch of garlic (several cloves, pressed) and some fresh ginger if available (skinned and also pressed) and a little white sugar. Mix it up.

Mix the venison in the marinade and leave it. If the meat is super tender 15-30 minutes will do; otherwise you be the judge.

Get the fry pan heated up, perhaps with some butter but either way I just put in the meat and some marinade (including garlic etc) and more or less stir fry it until rare to medium rare. Put some fresh pepper on it while cooking. Then take it out and put it on a plate covered with some foil and let stand for 5 minutes or so.

Serve with turnips and some bread and wine and wet your pants. :razz:

Blktail
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM
OK - You have got me started!

Blacktail backstraps cut into 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" thick medallions.
Marinade in 3 tbs brown sugar dissolved in 1 cup water, add 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 or 2 Tbs olive oil, 1 clove garlic put through a press and a few green onions chopped up for 1 to 8 hours.
Wrap each steak in 1 slice of thin bacon. Use tooth picks to hold the bacon.
Heat BBQ to 450+.
Put steaks on the grill on edge. Roll every 2-3 minutes untill the bacon is done.
Serve with grilled asparagus, brocolli, caulifower, red pepper, onions soaked in sun dried tomato/basil dressing and grilled sweet (orange) potato disks. The vegetables take twice as long as the meat unless parboiled.

If your date doesn't propose or propose something illegal, you fed someone from PETA!

newhunterette
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
so where was all this when I was puting the cookbook together hmmmmmmmmmm

sheesh hehehehehe kidding

sounds yummy

oldtimer
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
RBH I do something similar except I add a few drops of liquid smoke in the marinade and slice some Crimini mushrooms to add just before the meat is done. Actually I use liquid smoke in varying quantities on just about all venison. Mike

Blktail
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry Nhtte

I only recently got the cooking bug. I'm tired of being dissapointed at restaurants.

I didn't hear about the recipe book.

Dana