PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with with my dog

ryanb
01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
My lab is 10 months now and we've been doing a little bit of training over the fall. I've had him on a few grouse, but haven't been out for waterfowl yet. I don't think he's ready for ducks just yet, but I wanted to try and get him on a couple birds, or at least out with another trained dog.

If anyone is going out in the lower mainland before the season is over, give me a PM if you might want to help out. I probably won't be shooting, just trying to get my dog out there to give it a try before next season.

craigchaplin
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
My advice would be to go out anyways and work with the dog yerself.......just don't concentrate on getting birds, make sure you work on steadying the dog and get him used to the environment all that good stuff. And if you happen to get a bird try to make it an easy retrieve fer the first few....don't want anything to put him off. Also i would definitely make sure the bird is dead if you wing it and its flappin might spook the hell outta the dog. Hope this helps

diggerpax
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
What I've done in the past is found a bird breeder (ducks, pheasants pigeons) then used them for training. It worked well of a nice controled retrieve environment.