PDA

View Full Version : is it common to bring a handgun hunting

McRackin
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
just wondering how common it is for people to bring a restricted handgun while they are camping.

its illegal, but i heard its fairly common to do because you never know what could come running at you in the middle of the night or in the middle of the day while your rifle is not ready to fire.

ryanb
01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
With all the game checks COs do, I'd say it's a risky proposition.

Mr. Dean
01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
you're NUTZ for not taking at least 9 different ones!!!!

RMG
01-07-2008, 10:20 PM
No, never have I taken the .44 mag out with me hunting, but it sure would be nice. Some of the areas I hunt, during the fall, with bow, or muzzleloader, I will see a couple Gbears every day. Not much one can do, when you pee one of them off at 10 yards and all you got is a musket, but consider yourself really lucky your not packin the bow. Be Aware, Be Beary Aware, thats all you got on your side. YA OUR GUN LAWS SUCK, and do nothing for our preservation of life.

Marc
01-07-2008, 10:22 PM
You do so at your own risk and if you've got a good camp rifle like a lever 45/70 or a shotgun with slugs I see no need carrying a hand gun, plus it's against the law to have a hand gun in the woods without a permit.

Derek_Erickson
01-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Is it common?

No

Is it Illegal to take your registered handgun anywhere but where the ATT states?

Yes

Mr. Dean
01-07-2008, 10:24 PM
you're NUTZ for not taking at least 9 different ones!!!!

This is a joke, and only a joke.

It should read 12 :biggrin:

CanAm500
01-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes it is illegal to take a restricted firearm (pistol/revolver, rifle, shotgun) into the bush.

OOBuck
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
You do so at your own risk and if you've got a good camp rifle like a lever 45/70 or a shotgun with slugs I see no need carrying a hand gun, plus it's against the law to have a hand gun in the woods without a permit.

Winchester Defender pistol grip, next best thing to a hand gun and packs WAY more of a punch!

huntcoop
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Is it common?

No

Is it Illegal to take your registered handgun anywhere but where the ATT states?

Yes

I'm willing to bet it's more common that one thinks ;)

6 K
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Is it legal , no
Is it common where I live ......... I hear so.
I bet the guy in kitamat that got tossed around and clawed by a grizz wished he did legal or not.:wink:
I agree a 12 guage or rifle is better suited for knock down/stopping power but nothing beats the manuverability of a hand gun. I've never practiced but I think operating a action, pointing it in a usefull direction and firing a long gun with something three times or more your wieght on top of you might be tough. :lol:
I agree with Mr. Dean.......12:biggrin:

Scobo
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
dude, you just took the course a month ago. you can't take a handgun anywhere but to and fro the designated route on your way to the range you already would have a membership for.
but, back in my dad's trapper days we had some good times with the handguns plinking and "catching" our supper. you would need a trapper license though. i would hate to imagine what the fine would be for getting caught packing a restricted weapon out of regulation. you would probably learn how to bow hunt after it though.
as much as we all wish we could carry i would think that bear spray may be as or more effective at a p.o'd bear at 0 - 2 yards. beyond that, buy my 300RUM and don't miss.

ribber
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
:roll:A fellow I went hunting with once, told me one time he was about 1 hour from Dease Lake [ by air], and a plane flew overhead , landed and a RCMP officer gave him a fine for " no fishing licence ' and yes he was fishing, so you are never out of sight if they want you, So keep it in mind when you plan your activities

Mr. Dean
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm willing to bet it's more common that one thinks ;)

Really???
I can honestly say that I know of no one, that does this.

It must be an Island thing. :razz:

I like my restricteds... I like them where they're at... And I'd like to keep it that way... Wouldn't consider it in a nanno second.

Hank Hunter
01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Am i the only one looking at post history from a guy who apparently just passed his non and restricted pal course. something funny ?

Mr. Dean
01-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Hank, for all I know, this is undercover RCMP,,, or a newb that's heard a rumour and looking for insight.

No question a dumb question - Bring it on!

mpotzold
01-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Couldn't agree more! One possible loophole! An antique handgun (made before 1898---with some exceptions) Don't need to be registered & have a licence to possess or acquire it.

islandstalker
01-08-2008, 01:48 AM
:shock::eek:flare gun

BigBanger
01-08-2008, 03:07 AM
not worth it
nice shot gun will do the trick

M.Dean
01-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Why Not!!! Go to any Bar room on a Saturday nite and see how many folks are packin!!! I'd sooner see a pistol butt sticking out of a hunters coat than some gang banger in the mall!!! The chances of the hunter shooting me are a lot less than the punk shooting me because i looked at him the wrong way!!! Is it common to pack a pistol in the bush? Why do you ask???

OOBuck
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Really???
I can honestly say that I know of no one, that does this.

It must be an Island thing. :razz:

I like my restricteds... I like them where they're at... And I'd like to keep it that way... Wouldn't consider it in a nanno second.

Island thing huh... If an Islander did it, it would only be to keep the trash from the lower mainland off the Island :eek::p LOL

Wildman
01-08-2008, 09:11 AM
You can get a special permit for carying it in the bush. It is a hell of a lot of paperwork but worth it if you are in Grizz country. If you are a prospector (don't quote me because I'm not sure) I think you are also allowed to carry a pistol. Which makes sense to me, but why a forestry engineer is not allowed unless he/she obtains a special permit is beyond me. I mean, I used to walk around in the bush, in grizz country, by myself for 10 hours a day 250-300 days a year......I think that ranks just as dangerous as being a prospector. I mean that bear spray just doesn't cut it.....just adds extra flavour. I've seen a bear run away once sprayed and come back to roll around in it five minutes later.

eaglesnester
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Handguns are for the most part useless in the bush as a last ditch life saver in a situation where the grizz scat has hit the fan. Now having said that, if you are an expert shot with a handgun, (trained combat shooter) and if you have the appropriate weapon then you just might be ok. Now not many of us up here in the great white north own heavy framed handguns like a 475 Linebaugh that shoots a 400gr pill at a little over 1300fps MV or a 500 S&W magnum with 350gr bullet at 1700 fps MV. Most of use have never even seen a hog leg that big let alone fired one with any degree of competence.
The 357 mag, 44 mag, and 45cal are pop guns and nearly useless in the face of a pissed off grizz charging you. Nothing short of a 12 gauge automatic shooting 3.5 inch slugs with sabot or 400gr buckhammers will do. Very few of us have the jam and the nerve to stand there and effectively pound lead into a mad on comming grizz no matter what we are holding. Leave the handguns at the range or at home locked up in the gun safe, handguns for the most part are only good for two things, punchen holes in paper and people not hunting. Some states down in the lower 48 do allow handgun hunting but for the most part these are specialty weapons that are custom built and fire rifle amo.
Cheers&Tight Groups: Eaglesnester Retired USMC

browningboy
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
No it's not common, but most likely practised by a minority group where quick access to safe grounds isn't possible.
Thats my guess.8-)

ryanb
01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Wildman, anyone who wants to legally carry a handgun in the bush must obtain the proper permit from the CFO office, REGARDLESS of their profession (Except law enforcement of course). As a forestry engineer, you should have no problem securing the proper permit if you so desire.

Mr. Dean
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
The main requirement is that your job regiures the use of both hands, impeeding the use of a rifle.

Eaglenester, when the critter is already on top of you http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/DSC_0013_edited-21.JPG, much'n away; THAT'S when the handgun could shine http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/DSC_0001_edited-21.JPG.

I'm a believer in that we should be able to carry, as Hunters.

Mr. Dean
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
...not many of us up here in the great white north own heavy framed handguns like a 475 Linebaugh that shoots a 400gr pill...

I think there would be MANY, if we were allowed to carry one in the bush...

NEEHAMA
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
If people do carry in the bush, not sure they would post it on the net...

KevinB
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I strongly agree with Mr. Dean, that we SHOULD be allowed to carry handguns, but the bottom line is that we aren't - unless you go through the paperwork for a carry permit. I know a few people who used to have the permits but have since given up because the paperwork involved was so onerous. I don't personally know anyone who carries without a permit, but I do know that people do it. Aside from that, if you really think you have a good chance of needing a firearm for bear defence, you're probably MUCH better off with a good rifle or shotgun, if you can rig up a good system to carry it hands-free but still accessible. It's pretty easy to miss with a handgun even at close range, unless you practice practice practice, and even then, it's still pretty easy to miss. I know I sure would have to be pretty lucky to make a good shot with a handgun at a charging bear. I'd have to be lucky if I could make the same shot with a rifle, too, although the adds would be a lot better! Mr. Dean has a good point though - if you're on the ground with a bear on top of you a handgun in a shoulder harness might just save your bacon. Or at least you could go out knowing you were putting up a bit of a fight! :rolleyes:

Wildman
01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Wildman, anyone who wants to legally carry a handgun in the bush must obtain the proper permit from the CFO office, REGARDLESS of their profession (Except law enforcement of course). As a forestry engineer, you should have no problem securing the proper permit if you so desire.

I have the required paperwork.......but once I saw the friken stack and read through it, it went into the recycling bin. It is much easier to carry a defender or a 45/70 GG in a hoster than try and read through that rigamaraz! Maybe if I actually owned a hg I would look at it a bit different. At this point, I have concluded that at this time it is way too much trouble to go through .

Gateholio
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Handguns are for the most part useless in the bush as a last ditch life saver in a situation where the grizz scat has hit the fan. Now having said that, if you are an expert shot with a handgun, (trained combat shooter) and if you have the appropriate weapon then you just might be ok. Now not many of us up here in the great white north own heavy framed handguns like a 475 Linebaugh that shoots a 400gr pill at a little over 1300fps MV or a 500 S&W magnum with 350gr bullet at 1700 fps MV. Most of use have never even seen a hog leg that big let alone fired one with any degree of competence.
The 357 mag, 44 mag, and 45cal are pop guns and nearly useless in the face of a pissed off grizz charging you. Nothing short of a 12 gauge automatic shooting 3.5 inch slugs with sabot or 400gr buckhammers will do. Very few of us have the jam and the nerve to stand there and effectively pound lead into a mad on comming grizz no matter what we are holding. Leave the handguns at the range or at home locked up in the gun safe, handguns for the most part are only good for two things, punchen holes in paper and people not hunting. Some states down in the lower 48 do allow handgun hunting but for the most part these are specialty weapons that are custom built and fire rifle amo.

Just wondering what your experience with handgun hunting and animal defence using a handgun (or rifle and shotgun) is?

You have made some statements that don't sound accurate.

Phil
01-08-2008, 04:19 PM
If it were legal I would. Otherwise I'll stick to my shotgun with slugs which I use primarily for scouting trips. Handeling one gun is enough on hunting trips. Plan B is to hit hit the MF bear over the nose with my GPS:lol:.

The best back up is a fast acting, sharp eyed partner who is willing to shoot between the eyes while the bear has its teeth around your head.

Lets hope that none of us ever get that close.

bighornbob
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I have the required paperwork.......but once I saw the friken stack and read through it, it went into the recycling bin.

You have to be kidding if you are calling the forms a stack of paper work.

You basically fill out your:

Name etc etc

Firearms license

You check a box that you work in remote locations. You state your location of work (when I did mine I put down southern BC)

You fill out the type of firearm, Number etc.

When you want to carry it for (when I did mine it was for 6 months)

How you are paying

and a signature.

Thats its. Two pages of forms and thats all you have to fill out.

With your form you enclose a copy of a T4 slip so they can see you primary employment is in the woods. ( Like the guy told me, they wont issue to a guy that works as a dentist but does some forestry work one weekend of the year).

Plus I wrote a letter for my boss to sign, that stated I worked alone in some remote locations and have gear to carry that makes carrying a long firearm not practical.

And that was it, got my carry permit. That was 4 years ago but from what I read on CGN, it is still the same, other then they dont allow you to carry a semi-auto anymore like they did when I had mine.

BHB

tomahawk
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
just wondering how common it is for people to bring a restricted handgun while they are camping.

its illegal, but i heard its fairly common to do because you never know what could come running at you in the middle of the night or in the middle of the day while your rifle is not ready to fire.

I would not think this is very common, not amongst the majority of hunters as they are law abiding citizens. I used to hunt with a fella who was deathly afraid of bears, so at night we kelt a camp shotgun with us. During the day usually you have your hunting rifle with you so I don't see the need for a pistol at all especially when you get caught you would possibly lose the right to carry firearms or hunt! Not worth the risk to me and even if it was I don't see the need. for a huter that already has firearms with them, to bring more! But then I don't have a fear of predators, just a respect for what they are and capable of doing!

dukester
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
You can get a special permit for carying it in the bush. It is a hell of a lot of paperwork but worth it if you are in Grizz country. If you are a prospector (don't quote me because I'm not sure) I think you are also allowed to carry a pistol. Which makes sense to me, but why a forestry engineer is not allowed unless he/she obtains a special permit is beyond me. I mean, I used to walk around in the bush, in grizz country, by myself for 10 hours a day 250-300 days a year......I think that ranks just as dangerous as being a prospector. I mean that bear spray just doesn't cut it.....just adds extra flavour. I've seen a bear run away once sprayed and come back to roll around in it five minutes later.
x2 special permit .. had a helicopter pilot who packed a ruger 44 redhawk for bears. legal and ligit. .ummmm maybe it made too much noise for bears to come in.

OOBuck
01-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Here's what ya really need:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2001/12/11/bear_suit011211.html :roll:

McRackin
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I know its illegal to carry a restricted gun anywhere except the range unless you have a work permit, its fresh in my head from the pal course I took 2 months ago. Also fresh in my head is how my instructor said its more common then a lot of people think to bring a pistol camping or in the bush.

Just thought Id ask if its really the case, but I guess its a stupid question because nobody would ever or should ever say it here.

I think its a stupid law...I don't know what the difference in safety is between a 12 guage or a rem700 308 and a smith&wesson 6-shooter.

Schutzen
01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Ah yes stupid laws....without them the law books would be pretty thin! IMHO there is exactly NO good reason whatsoever that a person going about there daily business, whatever that entails should not be allowed to carry a handgun afield..PERIOD! By that I also mean not restricted to .22 LR either.
Transported safely/legally and all that give me one sane reason why not?

IMO this one of the things we have the RCMP to thank for.
For many years the members in the HQ at Ottawa were running paranoid to parliament whining for ban this... restrict that when it came to our firearms! What the hell were they worrying about? Legal, law abiding, firearms owners are the LAST people they have to worry about! Cretin's
Whew rants over..sorry bout dat.

wolverine
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Couldn't agree more! One possible loophole! An antique handgun (made before 1898---with some exceptions) Don't need to be registered & have a licence to possess or acquire it.

I think I'm gonna disagree with that one. True for a long gun except shotguns and 22's but I don't think that applies to handguns. I'll have to check to be sure but...

Gateholio
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I think I'm gonna disagree with that one. True for a long gun except shotguns and 22's but I don't think that applies to handguns. I'll have to check to be sure but...

No, he is correct, but it must meet a few standards, such as not be a centerfire etc. (Rimfire 44's are fine etc) And it's not liek you can ust load it up and walk around town with it, but you could take it out in the bush and plink wiht it.:-D

RMG
01-08-2008, 11:30 PM

If you honestly believe what is read above, I have a bridge for sale, and by the way, the only rifle capable of taking down any north americian big game would be a nothing smaller the the .460 Weatherby Mag. also.

Twobucks
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't know how common it is, but bet it's rare. You go through the trouble of getting a restricted permit only to gamble with a criminal record that includes a weapons offence and possible firearms ban? I don't think many would risk that.

If it's bears you're worried about, here's how I see it:

- keep a clean camp and keep odors to a minimum
- generally bears just want to eat and stay out of any trouble that interferes with eating
- a 12 ga with slugs is fast, legal and powerful bear medicine
- the more armed I am, the more I psych my self out - bear attacks are a relatively rare occurance and my own attitude may have more to do with my safety in any given bear encounter than what kind of whollap I think I'm packing
- a grizz can run as fast as a race horse - it's a one shot game where you're betting on the bear dying before it can chew on you. I don't like those odds. Best to avoid a gun fight.

And any protection is like the airbag on your car, it might just save your a$$, but by the time you need it you've probably already made a few mistakes.

mpotzold
01-09-2008, 12:42 AM

I hope this helps. Here is an excerpt from the Criminal Code of Canada-sec.84(1) and REGULATIONS!
http://www.nfa.ca/content/view/150/199/ (http://www.nfa.ca/content/view/150/199/)

BCbillies
01-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Don't expect a lot of detailed response on this one. I don't own a handgun and keep it simple and just bring the 300wmag - even when camping with the family. Too many bears around here to ignore the what if!

Like many things, it probably happens more than we think. :shock:

Steeleco
01-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Huh Hum!!!

16. No Illegal activities to be discussed in the forums. For example, anything to do with illegal drugs, firearms alterations, illegal methods of taking game, poaching, filling others tags. (Anything that may incriminate members or make the site look bad in the eyes of the public.)