PDA

View Full Version : Snows on Global tv news

mattchu_19
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Anybody see segment on the snow geese on Global? I think they are going to start moving more inland, We've even seen a few here in the valley area. I hope they start coming through. If they are such a problem in Richmond all they have to do is open a spring conservation season like they have in the US. No bag limit, no possession limit, the use of electronic callers, and the use of un-pluged guns and mag extensions, and that will keep the numbers down. The boys at Avery Outdoors and Zink calls have been hunting in the spring conservation season for a few years now and last year harvested almost 3,000 snows in a month. You can see all this in Zink's new movie "Gone For The Season".

Bpower
01-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I was driving along Hwy 1 and saw a flock in a field near the Vedder Cannal

f350ps
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't think there's anything that will control the population short of dealing with it on Wrangell Is.during the nesting season as there's not enough hunters to put a dent in the population. There's also too many closed areas that they'll move to when pressured. Just my .o2 K

Danny
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Yep, just like the Canada's they'll hang out in school yards park and the train tracks where it's safe.

Qwa-honn
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I hope they come up this way. Those damn Big black things are supposed to be in the salt chuck but they are here now. I think their comorants? Ugly anyways. But I would love a chance at some snows. GIT R DONE!!!!

Ian F.
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Over the last few years the Skagit portion of the population (2/3rds) shifted from primarily feeding on the salt marsh to primarily field feeding. So the fact our part (1/3rd) of the population has started to do the same isn't a surprise. In fact it has gotten to the point in Skagit where there is a special hunt program where landowners allow hunters to shoot their fields through a lottery allocation system by the state, win win, if you have the right field on the right day!

Ian

HuntNHookSports
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I was in Hanna AB in mid Oct last year. There was about 2000 canadas and about 5000 snows around. The farmers said that the geese numbered in the 10 000's in early Oct (500 geese were bagged on one farm). Seeing the grain belt migration is unbelievable. We spent 2 days trying to hunt the geese. On day one we called the first flock of about 200 snows to within 30 yards but we did not shoot. The geese flared and landed about 400 yards away. Over the next 15 minutes more than a 1000 snows built up, then the canadas started to come. Our 36 decoys were no competition and soon we were looking at about 1500 geese 400 yards away. Tough luck I guess.