PDA

View Full Version : New pup

Wild one
01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I just got a 3 mounth old chocolate lab female and I want to train her to fetch my ducks.I am looking for any tips on how to train her as a bird dog.This is new to me so any help would be great.

Marc
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
First off where do you live? Pick up a copy of the 10 minute retriever. Awesome book covers all the topics of training a retriever. If this is your first dog you're going to more then likely need guidance from someone more experienced. Find a retriever club in your area( endless amount of support and knowledge ).

lapadat
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Order some retriever training/gun dog books through Amazon or Chapters and start reading. Next, BE PATIENT......if your dog has a strong will to please (most labs do) she will want to work for you....so go slow and if you see her getting discouraged or giving up on you....slow it down a few gears.

You should start with a yard program before getting to focused on retriever training. Spend a few minutes each day going over sit, heel and here. Stay is useless to me because a sitting dog is also a staying dog so I wouldn't waste my time with that one. You can throw in a couple of retrieves at the end of each training session but keep it short and fun and make sure your pup doesn't self-teach itself to run away with your bumper/rolled-up sock etc...ie. keep it on a lead.

Then you'll soon be on to gunfire, blinds, marks, doubles, triples, live birds, etc.

Gun dog training is a blast and is very rewarding to both dog and handler.....there's nothing more impressive than a well trained bird dog running successful long blinds after wounded birds.

I also advise joining a club or at the very least getting to know a few members who can offer some advice. The BC Lab Retr. Club is having a hunt test near chwk in the spring......this would be a great time to watch some Masters dogs in action.

Wild one
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I live in abbotsford and have 3.5 acres with ponds to train her on.I have my dad to help me train her as he has done it before.She seems smart as she has picked up the come camand and some what sit and I have only had her for 24hrs.What clubs are in my area because expert help is always good.

Dirty
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Contact some people from the BC Lab Club. They do training at the TNT Kennels property. The most important thing for training a dog is spending time with them. You have to train almost every day to get a good dog. Get some birds and let her play with them. As previosly mentioned some good books can be very valuable.

Wild one
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I run a U-catch trout farm so I have lots of time to spend on training I just want to make shure I do it right.

greybark
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
:smile:Lapadat , Please keep us informed as to the dates of the Chilliwack trials .

lapadat
01-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Here is thier website. Click EVENTS periodically to check for dates......as of today they don't have anything listed for spring Hunt Tests, however, they have had one in April for as long as I can remember.

http://www.bclab.com/

LOC
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Contact some people from the BC Lab Club. They do training at the TNT Kennels property. .

TNT are a good group too - went through 3 of there obediance classes (puppy-K, basic and their CKC-CGN prep).

Wild one
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Does any one have a wing of a duck I can have to help train her?As I will not be getting out this year.

LOC
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I have a few grouse in the freezer if your interested - no duck though.

Wild one
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the offer but I want to use duck for sent reasons.

Jimbo
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Wild one, where are you located ?

Jimsue
01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
go to fraser valley auction on saturday and buy a dozen pigeons, pull out the flight feathers and go nuts, forget the yard work untill shes nuts for birds. pups and yound dogs want hot birds. I'll be there to if you want to BS

Wild one
01-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tip Jimsue I will have to try it.

lapadat
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
forget the yard work untill shes nuts for birds. pups and yound dogs want hot birds.

Unless you've got some sissy show dog your lab will naturally want birds....you don't have to worry about that. Leaving the yard work behind is putting the cart before the horse......if you want a birdy lab running around like an idiot, go ahead and forget the yard work....if you want a well behaved and respectable dog......teach some ground rules. I haven't met a single gun dog trainer that doesn't start with some basic yard training.

Busterbrown
01-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree 100% on making sure you do the yard work before you worry about live birds. Your dog will have a natural willing ness to find birds. When training our dogs for field trials we first get a well bred dog then a disipline program begines immediatly. This would consist of all the basic commands that a working retriever needs including remote sit, here, heel. When the dog has all of its adult teeth(approx 6 -8 months) they are then force trained which is the foundation for ALL other training, including collar conditioning, running blinds, casting, and delivering to hand. All pups should be introduced to birds at a young age but any well bred dog will have the desire. If you are going to use live pigeons I would do it on a limited basis as the dog has not be trained to fetch and return to you. He will likley run off with it and you then have the start of a very bad habit. We use pigeons periodically with dogs that need some drive put in to them and it does work. If you need some wings for training send me a PM and I have some you can have

Wild one
01-05-2008, 12:59 AM
She does fetch and return a ball but I don't know how she will act with a bird.I have been teaching the basics I spend 3-4 hrs a day training right now.

pupper
01-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I will check out that book marc, sounds good.
here is an article on my site on some basic training:http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Hunting_Dog_Training_

ryanb
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I bought a DVD called "Fowl Dogs". Pretty good training tool, there are lots out there. I find the DVD gives you a better idea of how to do things when you SEE them being done, VS a book. Get a good book and a good DVD.

diggerpax
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Getting a good book, as the others have said, is great advice. The help from pros is great, and many guys on this site can give great pointers as many have them have done all of their own training. My only tip is don't just focus on training in the field, but make every interaction a training session. Each time your dog enters the house, a different room, gets food, or even just attention, make her obey some command that relates to the field. If she follows you to a door, make her sit and wait before she enters the next room, make her heel when you go to get the paper every day- I've found these little things make a difference for me. There's nothing better than training a good dog- have fun.

diggerpax
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
and one more thing........come, sit, stay- hand and verbal at all times- these are the foundation of a bird dog training- in my opinion, these start at 8 weeks and never ever end.

BoomBoom
01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
wild one:

call TNT...go train there 1 day with the group....mention that you have ponds on your property and you will instantly have a zillion people willing to help with your training!

...of course they will want to train at your ponds at some point!!!

...good training ponds are at a premium in most areas, and serious dog trainers are always looking for good new training grounds!

...enjoy your pup and good luck!boom....

BoomBoom
01-07-2008, 11:28 PM
wildone....

....now that I see your proximity to TNT, I can't encourage you enough to get ahold of John and Janice.

They and others will really get you off on the right foot with your pup. Most trainers are very helpful to new people and will help you get the right start with the basics. Books are fine but in no way can they replace knowledge from experienced people. And if you are like me, you can continue on with your young dog and get more involved with retriever training, great hobby during the non-hunting season.boom....

mfarrally
07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
order a video called Water Dog. I have a Chocolate that i got from big valley kennels and the video worked great