PDA

View Full Version : How often to wax the string?

rollingrock
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Do I wax it every time after I use it or once every a few weeks?

BowSitter
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I wax my string about every 4 times out. It depends on the weather as well. To much wax is just as bad as not enough. If I know that it is going to rain then I will wax before I shoot. Hope this helps......Ron

rollingrock
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Thx Ron! :)

J_T
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
A traditional bow? Depends on your use of it. If you're out dragging it through the bush, or wet weather, you'll wax it more.

I wax mine once at the start of a ten day hunt and it goes everywhere through everything in that period.

During 3D season, I wax it seldom.

puppychow
01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
For regular use, was every week.

oldtimer
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I wax about every 60 arrows for target use. Every week if hunting. Mike

Bowzone_Mikey
01-03-2008, 08:17 PM
The key to waxing is penitratration to all fibers of your string and cables .... I use a wax specially designed for synthetic fibresw/ conditioners and lightly wax every time I shoot my bow(s) 60 shots or more (so 2 300 rounds or after evry 3D shoot etc...).

To really get the inner fibers you should warm up the string after waxing ... the best way I have found is to lightly wax up the string and then pinch the string with a peice of soft leather and rub ...the heat from the friction will warm up the wax enough to melt it and allow it to penitrate the entire string ..... that way even the inner fibers are protected

huntwriter
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I wax about ones a week during hunting season and ones a month in the off-season depending how much I shoot. I apply the wax to the string and cables and then with the fingers rub it thoroughly into and between the string/cable fibers.

Bow Walker
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
When using the equipment, I wax the string/cables after about 200 arrows or every two weeks - whichever comes first. When not using my bow(s) for a while I wax thoroughly and hang the bow so it is comfortable and not lonely.

My hunting bow, for instance, gets a good waxing - working the wax deep into the fibers, and then a top coat before it is retired for the off season.

My target bow gets done as outlined in the opening statement. Seems to work and the string/cables are happy.