PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning Rods

lineofsight
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Hello:

Searched the forum, where is the debate on silver, nickel, versus gold gun cleaning rods?

I recently picked up a Saf-T-Clad universal one, so tight into the .22 barrel that had to clean little bits of Clad out of the receiver area, unimpressed.

The brass brush also put me in a conundrum, once past the neck felt like I needed a hammer to push it through - reverse direction or apply an unnatural amount of force. As the firearm was clean before brushing (just wanted to try new cleaning stuff before messing with it elsewhere) was not worried about flicking crap into action and opted for reversing as care less about brush than possible damage in forcing brush/rod through.

Did like the cotton mop for oiling though.

So now looking for other rod. One piece stainless or... Am using aluminum for shot gun but no risk there of contact (did think once of putting heat shrink around it but na). May try another coated one but .17 and then use it for .22 / .30-06 (just have to be careful with threading).

Cheers.

Steeleco
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
I use a one piece Teflon coated rod. Works great, just swap out the bit on the end and off you go.

Sikanni Stalker
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Am using aluminum for shot gun but no risk there of contact (did think once of putting heat shrink around it but na).

Cheers.

Am I to understand that the aluminum rods are not good? I have only ever used them. Use on 22, -06 and shotgun. Please explain.

lineofsight
12-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Tim:

I think in the event of "proper" cleaning the rod material may not make much of a difference (if rod does not touch bore then does not matter what it is made off, if wipe rod before each stroke then less chance of debris doing damage).

Some say aluminum is good cause soft, not hurt bore, some say it is bad cause its soft and picks up particles that may hurt bore, some say its bad cause the aluminum oxide is a polishing compound.

I have an aluminum one for my shotgun. Bore big enough that not touch and no rifling / no accuracy issues so really not matter.

I have no experience with brass, carbon fiber, nylon, stainless whatever so curious what people like/dislike (one piece/three piece...). Thought the Saf-T-Clad would be good, not keen on it cause of the fit/shedding issue. (however, because is several pieces I can move marked pieces further back or just use good short pieces for pistols). So looking for input on what to try next.

Cheers.

Jagermeister
12-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Since brass and aluminium are both softer than the steel of a rifle barrel, it's highly un-likely that damage could occur from rod contact with the rifling. Un-coated steel rods on the other hand maybe a different matter. I have used aluminium and had a brass one at one time that I got from a oldtimer and have used them for many years without apparent damage to barrel innards. Leaving powder residue laying about in a barrel in humid conditions is probably more damaging.

lineofsight
12-31-2007, 02:51 AM
And brass doesnt spark so cant ignite any powder (okay, maybe not that useful a feature).