PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Labrador Retrievers

Marc
11-08-2003, 03:14 PM
I’ve got two Yellow Labrador Retrievers, Nash(back) and Penny(front). Nash is my hunting dog by far. He started hunting at the age of 11 months. Nash’s first season hunting he brought back 26 ducks and his first goose. He lost 3 ducks that fall which is not bad for a dog’s first year. When Nash turned two I had his hips x-rayed for warranty purposes. He had hip displasia. The breeder gave me the choice of putting him down and getting another dog or keeping him and getting another dog. We decided to keep him since he wasn’t showing any sign of discomfort or pain. Penny, who my wife picked out because she was the last of her litter, was a waste of a dog when it comes to hunting. She is smart as basic obedience goes but has no hunting instinct what so ever. If you tossed a ball or a treat at her it would bounce off her face :roll: I took her out duck hunting with me once because Nash had cut his paw. I shot a duck and she swam out to it and she looked at it and came back in. She didn’t want anything to do with it. That was the last time I took her out by herself. I’ve taken them out together hoping she would learn from the other dog but all she’d do is swim out and let Nash pick it up and bring it back. We decided that she was going to be a pet from that point on. Nash is now turning 7 and his age is starting to show. His face is starting to turn white around the edges. I shot a teal this fall and he chased it for about 200 yards and then the duck started to dive to avoid the dog. This went on for another 5 minutes and the dog finally caught the little bugger. By the time he swam back to the blind with the duck in his mouth he was huffing and puffing but he was still waggling his tail. He's waiting by the truck everytime I take my hunting gear out so he's not to old yet. If I shoot a duck and I can retrieve it fairly easy then I'll get it. I save him for the runners that are out of gun range :D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3Nash_and_penny.jpg

bone-collector
11-18-2003, 01:49 PM
great dogs marc , we have lana a 2 year old purebread black lab female who is about as usefull hunting as a logging truck 8O , same syndrom , bounce ball off head and then run away :evil: , I rescued her from a farmer who was going to shoot her as her chicken killing ability is 100%

my other 2 dogs are just pets thats it, but as of thismorning I did apply to purchace 2 purebread bloodhound pups for tracking wounded game purposes and maybe even search and rescue eventually , will see what the breader says and how much they want a pup

Cdn-Redneck
11-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem my Golden Retriever makes a better footstool than a hunting dog.

Thunderstix
12-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Very very handsome dogs Marc (er, I guess one of them is pretty)

QnsCowboy
12-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Great pair of dogs/companions Marc....My yellow lab died in Sept. after 13 yrs of staying warm in the house.....I have my second Black Lab now, but first female dog....I am slowly getting used to her, but seems to be proven me wrong and will be a great dog....

Blacktail
11-02-2004, 11:23 AM
I have a german shorthair that points and retrieves grouse pretty good but I feel your pain Marc when it comes to ducks.
I don't know what it is with her ,she will swim out or chase them or do everything she is supposed to but flatly refuses to pick up a duck in her mouth.
She is keen to hunt and flips out when ever she sees the guns come out and stuff but I have gone to leaving her at home when I go out for waterfowl.

Dano
11-02-2004, 04:21 PM
About 20 years ago, I had the pleasure of hunting over a pair of German shorthairs (an old and young dog). My dad's friend owned them and we hunted pheasants in Pitt Meadows and grouse in the Ashnola (near Kerameos). Oh yeah, we hunted chukars up near Cache Creek once too. Ian's dogs were excellent and I'll forever have the memory of the dogs locked up on the edge of the Pitt River and a covey of seven pheasant bustng out when we moved in.
If there's Pheasant hunting where you are, give it a try!
Dan

yellowlab
12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
great looking dogs,Marc.i've had 9labs over the years blacks,choclates and yellows, only 2duds but i still loved them .i have three yellows right now.the mother i retired this year. she just rides in the truck now.she's 11. her two boys are 8 and still have a few years left in them.all three are hell on wheels when it comes to ducks and pheasants.:lol:

Marc
12-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I hunted my male last fall but he's realy having a hard time this year. Any amount of exercise, even chasing a ball around for 30 minutes stiffens him up pretty bad. I haven't been out duck hunting yet this year and I think that may be due in part that I don't want to admit that it's over for him and I as hunting partners. He loves it so much and he's been such a great partner and companion. It's going to be hard to retire him but I think it's time he retires and becomes a full time pet. I'll pamper him as much as I can while he's still around as he surely deserves it.

Wife wont let me get a third dog so I wont have a hunting retriever until one of these ones pass on. I'm hoping that doesn't happen soon but I'm really going to miss hunting ducks on the marsh without a dog by my side.

Marc.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3nash.jpg

Islandeer
12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Fine looking dogs Marc. I have a pet choclate and a primo black bitch. I run her in hunt tests and she is the birdiest lab i have ever seen. Absulutely crazy about birds. She is 3.5 years old,her dad is yellow,so we will be having some super pups in the future, a few of which should be yellow. The stud we are looking at is yellow factored too and has shown well in hunt tests. The pups will only go to working homes as they would be wasted as merely pets. I will post some pics soon, I haven't posted yet so Gem will get her debut. If you are interested check out her parant kennell from Dartmouth, Doindogs. Her dam is Ada and sire is Sailor.

Dano, my Dad had GSP'trs and we shot hundreds of grouse over them. Hard to beat them for upland. He had one that retrieved ducks like a lab, dad always called him the Gordie Howe of huntinfg dogs!!

Blacktail, How ols is your dog. Was it ever force-fetch trained?

Cheers!

Blacktail
12-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Islandeer
Unfortunately I lost me girl a little while ago to a careless driver.
She was never forced trained and it seems that some shorthairs just don't like ducks.I could point out a speck in the distance and she would go after it in a heartbeat with an undying conviction to please but if it turned out to be a duck she would balk at the proposition,She also took to the water better than most labs I have known.
I did however inherit her sister back from my son when he moved out to Alberta and couldn't take her.She will pick up anything that falls to the ground or water after a gun goes off and will search relentlessly for any dead thing to the point that she is too focused to return in a timely manner.An electonic collar is the key for her at the beginning of the season until she gets used to the whistle again.
Just before that I got a white lab male that has shown a little promise but is extremely slow in ability althought he is very keen to please and I am sure that eventually he will be a good dog.

Beverly
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Marc your dogs are adorable!

I had a 5 y/o Malamute surrendered to me years ago and when she arrived she was gibbled up to the point that I had to lift her into my car and she could not get up on her own. I put her on glucosamine / chrondroitin & msm (all natural stuff you can get at any drug store or the vet).

In 2 mths she was running around like a puppy again. I now supplement all 5 of mine daily. Vit C also helps in conjunction with the other stuff for seniors as it helps to build cartilage too. It takes a good 12 weeks or so to see results but it has worked wonders for me and my 13 y/o & 11 y/o are just as active as the younger crew here.

Marc
12-20-2006, 03:24 AM
We have been feeding them Recovery, a suppliment of glucosomine for the past month or so, my wife thinks she see's a difference but I spend so much time with the dogs I guess I don't notice it.

He still thinks he's a puppy and just doesn't know when to slow down. Then a couple hours later he's having a hard time to get back to his feet from lying down.

They just built a dog park just down the road from where I live. I try and bring them down at least a couple times per week so they can play and socialize with other dogs. They just love it to the point where they don't even care about their toys while their there.

It's funny to watch nash he tag teams other dogs when he knows they're not watching :D He'll wait for to dogs to start playing then he sneaks in and take a poke at the underdog trying to roll him. :D

Marc.

The 'Hummer'
12-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Nice pictures and great looking dogs Marc. A couple of years ago I got my first Yellow Lab from a breeder in the Duncan. By the time I got to look at the batch of pups, she was the only one left, so it made choice a lot easier. Back about September I put in a post concerning her bout with Cryptococcus, and that story isn't finished yet. Even though she now appears to be the picture of health, a recent blood test the indicates her body is still fighting the initial fungal infection. So, after the holiday season, we'll start her back on the meds and hopefully she'll tolerate their effects better than the first time.

Beverly
12-20-2006, 11:38 PM
We have been feeding them Recovery, a suppliment of glucosomine for the past month or so, my wife thinks she see's a difference but I spend so much time with the dogs I guess I don't notice it.

Recovery is great stuff! MY oldest one tho hated the taste of it, would not eat and I tasted it...yuck lol! So I just started giving the individual supplements (it is less costly also for 5 dogs :lol: ) I did find that after I researched a bit that the glucosamine dosage in the Recovery was a bit low for my oldies as I started giving them like 1500 mg a day by my vets advice. After 12 weeks you can wean it down (it is extractyed thru urine and is a harmless substance they can't get toxic from glucosimine) It took the high dosage for a period of time to establish maximum absorbtion, now mine get a daily maintenance dose. Some of my dogs are touchy with the Vit C ( they get the runs) so I could not just up the Recovery dosage as the Vit C is mixed in.

Your crew sound like sweeties! I love Labs but I would be very confused if I told one of my dogs to do something and they actually obeyed lol! Maybe I have lived with Malamonsters too long.

bogman
12-21-2006, 01:05 AM
NIce looking Yellows Marc,, I got a blk female as a hunt test wash out about 7 1/2 years ago. Apparently she wasn't hyper enough. This dog is barr none the calmest lab with most duck or pheasant drive I have hunted over. She is quiet in the blind and so smart it is unreal. She is 9 now and fellow I got her from has a yellow with the same temperment so I think My blk and I will soon have a new hunting partner.

craigchaplin
12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Definitely agree labs of any color are the way to go. Mine is great all round......first one i've had and probably the only breed i'll ever get again....although hopefully not fer a long time. I've had to switch mine over to weight control food now as he's been packin on the weight..... They sure like to eat though!!! He gets tons of exercise......playin with our other dog or the dogs at the park every day almost....and especially now in duck season he gets a good workout just about every weekend. But the exercise wasn't enough so changed the food.....so far seems to be workin.

Islandeer
12-26-2006, 11:28 PM
I switche d my labs over to raw food 2 years ago. What an amazing differance in their health,energy and smell!! The older choclate was acting very old,bad joints,etc,completely turned her around. She is ii now and really acts like a pup again. We get it from Buddies Natural Pet foods in victoria. they get what they are intended to eat, raw food.

farside
12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Marc

Give your vet a call and ask about "Deramaxx" as a non-steroidal anti inflammatory. This product has worked WONDERS for our senior dog.

Our GSP is 11yrs old and had been so stiff and sore that we had even stopped playing with him in the yard. The price for him was too high.

Took him to the vet just for a check up and she suggested we try it out.
TOTALLY NEW DOG. It has taken 3 yrs off his age for sure and he is MUCH HAPPIER as he is not sore and is getting all the excersise he wants. 2 months is around 80.00 BUT you get your dog back and he will be happier for it. Definitely a quality of life drug for your dog.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Nice dogs, and pictures.

gameslayer
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I was a bit chalanged to enter some pictures of my yellow lab. He turned a year last week and is a ball chasing maniac. Hyper as hell, I do not have the papers on him but bought him off a family who had both mom (yellow) and dad (chocolate) and both were 9 years old and could run and jump and were obidient so I figured I could not go wrong. I spent a lot of time looking. I was told the dad was a good bird dog and sired several litters that a guide up north had bought several from. I have only had the chance to bring him hunting once on the fraser. My buddy shot a teal and the dog would swim out bump the duck ,circle it and come back LOL (was not scared at all by the gun ). When we finally got it I threw it back out and then he went and got it. I have been looking for someone locally to take me under there wing to teach me the ropes. He is tireless and loves to hunt for things. I play find it, I let him smell a toy what ever, and hide it either in the house or yard he he will not quit untill he finds it going full out. I am no expert but he seems to be a ringer for a good hunting dog. I have not nutted him yet (a bone of contention with the wife) I was kind of hoping to breed him if he turns out to have potential.

Marc
02-24-2007, 05:51 PM
It's to bad you're not on the Island I could give you a hand. Not having him nutted as you call it only causes problems when there are other dogs around especially a bitch in heat. Then they are harder then hell to try and control.

gameslayer
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I might just be neutering him sooner than later. Before you Dog was diagnosed with Hip displasia did you see any symptoms ? I ran my dog hard on our cement road for about 1.5 hours on Saturday in the rain and he was lame in the evening and yesterday (not moving his rear end and lower back area like normal. He looks ok tonight but It got me thinking. I know cement is probably not good for them to run on but it is good for his nails and unfortunatly the most convenient open clear area near my house if I'm watching the kids while there playing. Thanks for the offer if I was near.

Marc
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
How old is your dog? The only real way I could tell with my dog is he would swagger from side to side. If you're concerned get him exrayed.

Mine was a pure bred garanteed against hips and eyes. Well that's how I got my female lab as a replacement dog for my male. To bad she ended up being the slowest one of the littre. She's only good for eating groceries and being a pet.

gameslayer
02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I hate to say it but he does swagger but he also hops on his hind feet a lot i call him my yellow Kangaroo. I have been assuming that is because his tail just does not stop wagging :) . He just turned a year on Feb 14, Other than having the papers he is s a pure breed I meet the parents. Nice set up on a large lot with a huge dog pen 40 X 60 both parents appeared to be healthy at 9 years of age. But I think I will get that x-ray as you say.

Marc
02-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Usually you get the hips done at 2 years of age when the dog has pretty much got as big as he's going to get to make sure everything has developed. you can try giving him small dosages of Asprin. Make sure it's not tylenol.

lapadat
02-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Marc is right. You can only get difintive results for displasysia x rays at 2 years of age. You can prevent this by not letting your dog jump down from your truck, run long distances etc. Trust me, it will feel wierd to bridle your little hellian who seems to get the most satisfaction in life by exerting energy.

As far as training - go to a hunt test (BC Lab Retr Club) and get to know some of the people there - they are as helpful as they come. Buy some books or do some reading on the net to educate yourself. You should be starting your pup with the yard program. Get the basics down before expecting your dog to execute a perfect retrieve in the Fraser. Remember that they have the built-in desire to bring things back, find birds and please you, just not the way we want them to. Start with heal, come, sit, remote sit. Keep training fun, easy and focus on building confidence in your dog...show it how to do things.

From there you can start multiple retrieves, blinds, casting etc. Just start with the basics and GO SLOW - don't expect your untrained 1 year old pup to be doing triples and 200 yard blinds tomorrow.

Where abouts are you?

lapadat
02-27-2007, 07:54 AM
PS: Do NOT cut off his manhood. You will regret it.

Postal
02-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey all,

Just having fun reading about all the other lab owners out there.

I've got a 11 month old yellow lab male. He's rather a handfull!

I had him out numerous times in the field when he was about 6 months old. He's very hyper and can be hard to control at times but is a natural for retrieving. He immediately ran and picked up the first grouse I shot this season without any fuss, though getting him to hand over the prize in the end is a little more work than I'd like. I'm hoping that this next year he'll be a little more calmed down.

He's already got a girlfriend and in the next few years we'll be looking at having him sire a litter.

I can't wait until the fall when i can get him out there again for some ducks and geese.

gameslayer
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Where abouts are you?[/quote]

I live in maple ridge, I just saw your shed hunter on your match that rub. Our Dogs could be twins. I tried to post his picture but it says it is 1.4 and max alowable is .97 I do have him trained with some basic obedience. Had him chasing ball in a field tonight and he is looking all healed up :) My wife gives me hell because he trys to hump her friends golden retriever that is the to chop or not problem.

lapadat
03-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Here are my 2 scouting partners. 6 month old male on the left and a 2 year old female on the right

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hunting_102.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4565&size=big&cat=500)

The 'Hummer'
03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Nice pictures and great looking dogs Marc. A couple of years ago I got my first Yellow Lab from a breeder in the Duncan. By the time I got to look at the batch of pups, she was the only one left, so it made choice a lot easier. Back about September I put in a post concerning her bout with Cryptococcus, and that story isn't finished yet. Even though she now appears to be the picture of health, a recent blood test the indicates her body is still fighting the initial fungal infection. So, after the holiday season, we'll start her back on the meds and hopefully she'll tolerate their effects better than the first time.
Well,update and a long story short, a number of further medicine attempts to try and 'cure' my dogs bout with Cryptococcus have not been very successful. Within a matter of days of starting on the various meds, the appetite drops off almost to the point of requiring force feeding. In addition, what she does get down, in a lot of cases doesn't stay down. Any follow up attempts at administering the meds, the result has been the same. In a discussion with the vet, one of my questions was, how many dogs that have been diagnosed with Cryptococcus, and have tolerated the meds, are now deemed curred. It doesn't sound as though any have. As a result, and taking into consideration how hard the treatment has been on her, I've had to come to a very difficult decision. I've taken her off the meds and hopefully I don't come to regret it down the line. There's not much I wouldn't do for that little blond dog, but subjecting her to the meds is painful. I just can't keep doing that to her. Within a couple of days of being off medication, she perks right back up to the eating and activity level of a typical two year old + Lab. So, bottem line, I'll feed her well, give her lots of exercise and attention, and then keep my fingers crossed. I guess in a nut shell I've opted for quality of life.