PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Sask

Ben Fougere
04-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Thinking about going out to sask this fall to go hunting. Does anyone know what i'll need to do in order to hunt there. Do i need to hire a guide or can i just buy a license? Where would i find this info, b/c i want to be prepared before i go.

3kills
04-05-2005, 03:30 AM
here is a site i think u can find ur info on....

http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/

bone-collector
04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
you can go and buy a licence there but only whitetails, mulies are resident only leh's and you will pay dearly for the whitetail tags I think there about 175 a peice when all said and done then you have to find a place to hunt ...we can talk about it when I come back to PG be easier to set you up with a couple buddies maybe

BCrams
04-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I've gone to Saskatchewan the last couple years to hunt.

I forget exact tag costs but it wasn't as much Bonecollector said it was.

I'll look up my tags later on and let u know. You are also looking at hotel, food and gas costs on top of everything unless you know someone where you can stay for free and eat for free and with limited driving. Other costs are you have to buy and wear all whites or all reds and an orange / red hat at all times while hunting.

Mulies are out of the question. They're LE Hunts for residents only.

Virtually all of the whitetail areas are private property - including the northern zones fall under mostly private property. More and more farmers are posting their land now each year - resulting in you having to seek permission to hunt.

I have relatives who own a huge grain / cattle operation in some of the best whitetail hunting areas - so its not an issue for me. Its cheaper for me to go hunt a week in Saskatchewan than it is to go to the Peace and stay in a motel for a few days while hunting.

bone-collector
04-05-2005, 10:00 AM
I forget exact tag costs but it wasn't as much Bonecollector said it was.

whc card $11
if you plan on hunting game birds while your there another $58
whitail tag $140

so around $151 just for 1 whitail or $209 to hunt birds and 1 whitail

http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/huntingguide/2004_HUNTING_GUIDE.pdf

BCrams
04-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Thats right -- My tag was 151. ..... BUT

The non-resident "rifle" season is the last week of November (only 6 days long - Monday through Saturday) and bird hunting isn't that great for waterfowl (ducks and geese) as they've migrated south and the upland hunting isn't that great either. September through October is the time to bird hunt.

You should go hunting there !! Its awsome and a different whitetail experience.

Ben Fougere
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Geez, guess it's not worth going unless the people i know there can show me some huge deer, eh. I'd rather go up to Ft. St. John and spend the extra cash on new toys. But, thanks guys i'll keep all that info in mind.

And bone-collector we should chat next time your in town just in case there is some great huntiing to be had.

BCrams, why do you say that it's a different whitetail experience? What is so different about it?

bone-collector
04-05-2005, 12:10 PM
its all OPEN range hunting in sask , you better have a 500 yard rifle with you from what dusty and ultra have told me when they invited me out there

BCrams
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I would say its totally worth it. As I was saying - if you motel it for 4 or 5 days in Ft St John to hunt Peace deer - a trip to Sask. is cheaper. It just might take a trip or two to find out where you can and can't hunt thats all.

Much of the country is open with bluffs (thick patches of bush) interspersed throughout and the further north you go - the more timber you will encounter.

You don't need to be shooting 500 yards at bucks -

My dad shot his last fall at 80 yards, and I shot mine at 250. The year before the bucks in the group we shot were 40 yards, 75 yards and 130 yards.

Most of the shooting at 500 yard bucks I've seen out there are from those guys driving their rigs from field to field hoping to catch a buck in the open and then they bail and open up on it.

bone-collector
04-05-2005, 01:19 PM
ok well I wont get in a pissing match with you over it , just info that came from the dozen or so local ranchers in Sask I deal with regularly and remember we dont all hunt hay barns so some of us will make longer shots on bigger bucks

BCrams
04-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Not into a pissing match -

Just don't talk the talk unless you've walked it yourself.

That combined with the number of relatives who ranch and folks we know in Saskatchewan - PLUS - we lived in Saskatchewan for 8 years. I should know what I'm talking about.

Good for you on keeping touch with ranchers - seems like you deal with folks on a regular basis from every corner of the province and country -

bone-collector
04-05-2005, 01:43 PM
and you couldnt even remember what a tag costs :lol:

BCrams
04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Many of us wouldn't remember what all our BC hunting tags tally up to because

We love to hunt and it doesn't matter what it costs

todbartell
04-05-2005, 02:03 PM
why does every thread turn into a shit slinging when its breakup :roll:

BCrams
04-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the fray -

:-P

SteadyGirl
04-05-2005, 04:18 PM
:shock: Wow, what a boatload of drama to get to the few posts worth reading :roll:

Ben Fougere
04-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Haha, pissing matches, gotta love em. Anyway, talked to a guy at work today who wants me to go to sask for a week with him. He hunts north of saskatoon and says that it's worth it. He goes there every year. Confirmed the orange, red, or white clothing reg which sounds odd, plus he said something about being able to bait the deer and bear. Also, i guess that you can shoot any whitetail deer there regardless of sex. But if i shoot something i want it to be a nice buck, cause my first one was kinda small.

I might go still, but have to consider my options, because my uncle in boston bar wants to take me on a week horseback adventure into the mountains.

DUKE
07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Whily coyote pm me if you want the truth about hunting in sask.. been here since 96. shot over 25 deer.. from .300 mag, 25-06 .243.. if you want to shoot long range, yes its very possible.. plenty of land ,, small bluffs size of your kitchen will hold a 170 pt deer. let me know if you want some pics of some whitetail. corey. :-P

Elkhound
07-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Just remember Wiley C. No hunting on Sundays. Cause thats when all the big ones come out and sleep in the middle of fields.

MB_Boy
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Just remember Wiley C. No hunting on Sundays. Cause thats when all the big ones come out and sleep in the middle of fields.

Such a dumb regulation.....IMHO......it is the same thing in MB. The animals need a "rest" is one of the things I have heard in the past.

1/2 slam
08-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Is it worth the 150 bucks? I don't know, you be the judge.

http://www.trophyphotos.com/photos/full/2015.jpg

Grosses 173........6 x 5

scott_r
08-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey Guys,
Im from Sask and can give you an exact amount of licence costs
Wildlife Habitiat Certificate- $11
White-tail Deer- $140

Here's the dates Canadian residents can hunt in most zones
rifle- Nov.21-Nov.26
Muzzleloader- Oct.1-Dec 3( in ML zones)
Archery Sep. 1- 31 also Sep. 1 - Dec.3 in wildlife managament zones

A comment was made that Saskatchewan was all plains and that is not the truth at all, maybe if you never get off the NO 1 highway but venture North of Saskatoon, Prince Albert ect... and you'll find nothing but trees, Lakes valley's that make you feel like you're in the mountains. We have over 100 000 lakes here in Sk.
Check this link out for soem of the deer comming out of Sask in the 2004 deer season, amazing deer!! The site is called Saskatchewan Bucks

http://www.angelfire.com/sk2/saskhunting/

Cheers!!

fozzy
08-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I have hunted and lived in Sask. There are plenty of deer there and they seem to be larger then the Whitetail in the interior of BC. I shot my first whitetail, a 5x6 at 50 yards.
I'd recomend it for sure.

TinMan
08-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Your average shot in Saskatchewan would be around 200yrds. I have only hunted for 5 years and all of my deer have been under 100 yards. There is lots of land to hunt with in a hr or so of Saskatoon.Lots of farmers would have no problem giving you access. All you have to do is ask. This year should b a fantastic year for deer. Lots of peas, lentils and oats have been planted this year. Godd luck to you

Crazypop
10-18-2005, 08:24 AM
I lived in Saskatchewan for 18 years, in those 18 years I hunted for about 6 of them. I Got 1 Whitetail each year. The longest shot I took was 75 yards. But as someone had said I lived in northern Saskatchewan and there wasn't too many places to go shoot something @ 500 yards unless you went a bit further south. Also the bucks seem to be bigger there. Mulies are freaking huge! Now, if they could only do something about the -40 weather when I was hunting. (ok -20)

ratherbefishin
10-18-2005, 04:54 PM
so-how do you go about hunting Alberta/Saskatchewan if you are a BC resident without spending a fortune on a guide?I have a non hunting brother in law in Calgary but that's about it

Crazypop
10-20-2005, 10:11 PM
My whole family lives in Sask.
I think you would have to find somebody that lives there to take you out!

ratherbefishin
10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
do they have to be a direct relative?

plumbob
11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
If you have a chance to head there on a white tail hunt do it,as permission to hunt private land I've never been told no.They want the deer gone.My wife and son go every year the only advice is practice free hand moving shots as thats what you usually get.

guntech
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Here is a picture of my last hunt in Saskatchewan.

That was our limit I think.

http://www3.telus.net/drswebspace/HuntinginSask2.jpg