PDA

View Full Version : Monster Pike Anyone?

Ben Fougere
04-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey, i've heard that fishing for pike in the spring can produce some huge fish. Anyone have any suggestions as to where a guy could go in BC or Alberta?

Sikanni Stalker
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I think I am going to try out jackfish lake and big lake outside of Chetwynd this weekend.Campsites should be empty.

If you know any places down around Prince let me know. I will be down there for three weeks starting next week,and might hit a couple spots after work each day.

todbartell
04-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Charlie Lake outside of Ft St John has pike and walleye, but I never caught a larger pike. Probably because I didn't know where to go! :p

Fred
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I would be happy to tell you where to go Firebird!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fred

Mulie_Hunter
04-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Was that a shot?????? Prepare for mortal Combat :twisted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/fatality.jpg

Hahaha:mrgreen:

todbartell
04-28-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/funnysign99.jpg

:lol: now where can I go?

Fred
04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't know where you guys found those pics but I liked them! Especially the pumpkins. :grin: Actually Firebird I am from shield country(Manitoba) originally and the only place I know of to find Pike would be up north. Now if you want Walleye, you can find them in any river connected to the Boundry River system and I imagine that would include the Columbia system now. Fred

MB_Boy
04-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Firebird.......that is awesome!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tonto
04-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Nice to hear that there are more ex-flatlanders around Fred.

I hail from Winnipeg myself but have been lucky enough to call BC home for the last 9 years.
I do still miss the fresh walleye fry-ups though.

Ive only heard of a good walleye fishery in the Columbia.
I do know that northern alberta is a good area for both the Walleye and Pike.
Worth the drive for that delicious, flakey, white meat Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fred
04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
I am also from Winterpeg Tonto, moved here in Oct. 78. And no I ain't got no hankering to go back for a visit!:mrgreen: Fred

Sikanni Stalker
04-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Firebird,

The north end of the lake at "the wall" as it is known has the best concentration of pike and burbot. Last winter there was pike caught there that couldn't be pulled through the hole!
The pickeral is best around the golf course!

MB_Boy
05-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I am also from Winterpeg Tonto, moved here in Oct. 78. And no I ain't got no hankering to go back for a visit!:mrgreen: Fred

Fred and Tonto.........one more "Pegger" here. Moved out here about 10 yrs ago.

Tonto
05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a flatlander convention out there...

Glad to hear that we all got smart and made the move.
Its hard to hunt sheep in Manitoba, for some reason my tag was always left
uncut at the end of the year....
Still, as the post is about Pike and walleye fishing i will admit that there are a few good things about the ice cube that we all called home.

The family is still all there so i make it back every year or so.
Took the wife and the boy (2yrs) back in November.
Had the chance to chase whitetails around the "Whiteshell" with my brothers and my dad.
Great time, nothing worth shooting but it was great to spend the time in the bush with the boys.

MB_Boy
05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
I do miss some things about it back there. Great fishing up on the east side of Lk. Winnipeg where we fly in to moose hunt. When you are looking at a 15-20 lb pike and saying to yourself..."that's it?"....you know you are getting spoiled with some big ones.

I usually try and get back every second year or so to chase Whitey's either out towards Spruce Woods or up in the interlake to the west of Teulon and south of Inwood.

Tonto
05-02-2005, 03:14 PM
MB Boy, We used to canoe up the "Rice River" on the E. Side of the big lake for moose as well. Pulled a couple out but never did have the continious success that weve been lucky enough to experiance in Northern BC.

Of course If you drove for 16-20 hrs in Manitoba you would be hunting Cariboo
with the Inuit...

Its nice to hear talk about "Inwood" and the Interlakes areas.
We used to spend alot of time around "Fisherbranch" shooting the ducks and geese as well.

MB_Boy
05-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Ditto on the hunting ducks and geese up in the interlake near Fisher Branch....had some good shoots up there over the years. Moose hunting was done up on the Bloodvein River and a couple of years on the Pigeon. Generally did fairly well on the 10 day hunts flying out of Riverton. I would love to experience the "moosing" up north in BC though!! Duck and goose hunting was primarily done up on Hecla Island and we use to chase grouse wherever possible, but generally up north of Pine Falls on the Black River Rd and others up there. I do love chasing the deer up in the interlake....from the Inwood area up towards the Mantag area.

But alas........the cold got me and I love the mountains way too much. Going back to deer hunt in November can be pretty tough as you become a wimp to the cold on the west coast!! :biggrin:

Fred
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I hunted Grindstone Point the first year that it was open. Never saw a thing but when we crawled out of the car the next morning there were tracks right beside the car!:(
Hunted the Sandilands mostly my self though over the years. Fred