PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my ducks?

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon). A few have been spoken for by family friends, I'll have about 5 left after giving some away. So the million dollar question is, what could I do with them? I've heard people making duck sausage/jerky, good idea or not? Or should I just stick to roasting them whole, or breasting it out for later use?

On a side note, I brought out the SX3 today. What a gun! Kill one on my first volley, then throughout the day I achieved doubles on 3 occasions (2 of them could probably have tripled). The recoil is minimal compared to an 870; the muzzle jump is so much less that it makes recovery a lot faster, and the lack of pumping to cycle vastly improves target re-acquisition. Needless to say I am more than satisfied with this $1000 investment. Thank you Winchester! :biggrin:

YukonJack
12-25-2007, 04:41 AM
I'd pluck, double wrap and freeze them as-is for later use. Summer BBQ'd duck may be a treat you will want when the season's a long way off.
Good to hear a solid experience on a new shootin' iron. Sounds like it works fine for you, and in the end what else really matters? Nice choice BTW...

Tanya
12-25-2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.html (http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.htmlMany)

Many ideas here, Merry Christmas.

Our favorite is to pluck the breast off then remove the breast fillets carefully. Score the skin with a knife about six times.
Sear in a hot skillet in butter and oil, skin side down first then turn skin up . Move to a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. (should be medium rare).
Move the pan back to the burner remove the duck breasts and cover to stay warm. Deglaze the pan with some Balsamic vinegar then add a handful of frozen cranberries.
When they start to get soft mash about half of them.
Slice the duck in quarter inch slices across the grain and place either on a bed of greens (lunch) or your favorite carb(dinner).
Finish with a streak of the pan sauce.
Open a bottle of a good hearty red and enjoy.

Crazy_Farmer
12-25-2007, 08:16 AM
I actaully just made goose burgers with a bunch of goose meat. Ground up about 7 pounds of goose meat and added 5 pounds of gound pork, added some spices and instead of making it into sausage which the recipe calls for I just made patties out of the meat. I already fried some up and they are absolutely great. Both my sisters couldn't even taste the game and loved it, they look like a burger but taste like an italian sausage.

dave_fras
12-25-2007, 09:39 AM
ive made some goose peperoni.... that tasted pretty good!

Wild one
12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Three of my fav ways to eat duck are

1)Stir fry with veg and rice

2)Breaded with onion soup mix and fryed in butter

3)Soak in brown suger.salt.apple juice.and garlic for 24 hr.Put in smoker with apple chips for 4 hrs and finish it of in the oven.

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks for the suggestions! Many of these recipes are making my mouth water as we speak :biggrin:

Personally I wouldn't mind BBQ-ing them, except we don't have a BBQ anymore :-(

I might try making pepperoni, seems interesting. I tried my Shoveler burger a while back, it wasn't bad but duck burger just isn't my thing, maybe when I bag that goose...... :-P

porcupine
12-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Rishu Pepper writes: Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon).

The daily bag limit is 8 ducks, hope that you didn't go over your limit.
________
electric cigarettes (http://vaporizer.org/forum/electronic-cigarettes/)

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Rishu Pepper writes: Had a fairly productive day, brought home a dozen ducks (mix bag of mallards, pintails, gadwall, widgeon).

The daily bag limit is 8 ducks, hope that you didn't go over your limit.

No my friend gave me his share (he wanted only one), while the property owner only picked one out of our 14, and with 12 I was well under the possession limit of 16. My friend wasn't pulling his weight (not a good day for the 870 :biggrin:). Thanks for looking out for me though :-)

kishman
12-25-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.html (http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxduc.htmlMany)

Many ideas here, Merry Christmas.

Our favorite is to pluck the breast off then remove the breast fillets carefully. Score the skin with a knife about six times.
Sear in a hot skillet in butter and oil, skin side down first then turn skin up . Move to a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. (should be medium rare).
Move the pan back to the burner remove the duck breasts and cover to stay warm. Deglaze the pan with some Balsamic vinegar then add a handful of frozen cranberries.
When they start to get soft mash about half of them.
Slice the duck in quarter inch slices across the grain and place either on a bed of greens (lunch) or your favorite carb(dinner).
Finish with a streak of the pan sauce.
Open a bottle of a good hearty red and enjoy.

If I knew how to spell that sound Homer Simpson makes every time he sees/hears about something tasty I'd put that here instead of this....:biggrin:

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
If I knew how to spell that sound Homer Simpson makes every time he sees/hears about something tasty I'd put that here instead of this....:biggrin:

I believe the words you're looking for is "garghhhh..." with head tilted up, mouth open drooling, and eyes half staring into nothingness. :biggrin:

308BAR
12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Congrats on the hull but where are the photos! ;)

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I can take a pic of the cooler full of ducks, but it's a mess in there and I don't think you want to see it in their current shapes :biggrin:

Marc
12-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Brian, congrats on your haul of ducks! I'd keep the mallards for roasting at a minimum. I pretty much roast all my ducks but that's just me. I usually put them in a roasting bag with potatoes, carrots, an onions, 1/2 cup of water in the bottom and about 2 hours later on 350 it's ready to eat!

Ian F.
12-25-2007, 02:34 PM
The answer to this would take me all day!

Pepperoni usually is batched around 10lbs, I use about 30% pork, and find the mix from stuffers is awesome! I'm going to be making a pepper stick next week when I get home, yum yum!

I'd say right off freeze a count for later in the year and then enjoy some now..

What are you craving? Duck fajitas? duckpetizers? Duck and eggs? grilled duck?

Ian

P.S. I'll have to check out that X3 of yours, see how it compares to my X2

rishu_pepper
12-25-2007, 03:27 PM
10 lb batch eh? I don't think I'll have enough this time, maybe by next week though... it'd be nice to chew on some duck sticks while duck shooting at the same time :biggrin:

Duck fajitas actually sounds like a really good idea, I ought to try that out.

Ian you know what a lousy shot I am (you've seen it first-hand :lol:), so either I've improved a lot in 3-4 outings since, or there's gotta be something to do with the SX3 :grin: (shooting Kents in #2's btw).

Marc your recipe sounds like a winner, I go ga-ga for potatoes

Ian F.
12-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Fajitas are super easy, there's the scratch method and the lazy, I use the lazy most of the time.

here go's

Go to the supermarket, buy Club House TEX MEX seasoning, marinate the duck (breasts/egs, boned and no skin or fat) for a minimum of 1/2hr,overnight is better. Grill, or broil till pink, don't overcook! Let rest a good 5 minutes, slice across the grain, serve with all the normal fajita stuff, I usually just stir fry some onions and peppers to go with.

I serve this and usually don't say it's duck!

Ian

porcupine
12-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I use almost all of my ducks making Duck, Smoked Sausage, Oyster and Okra Gumbo.
________
Cirrus (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Cirrus)

Gateholio
12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I use almost all of my ducks making Duck, Smoked Sausage, Oyster and Okra Gumbo.

Now THAT sounds good!!:grin:

porcupine
12-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Everyone loves it too! Infact, my wife gets upset if I use the ducks for anything else.
________
medical marijuana news (http://potwire.com)

Jimbo
12-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I never roast birds anymore. Cut'em into pieces, season and coat with flour. Brown them quickly in a pan then transfer to a baking dish, cover with a favourite sauce ( tomato for caccitore style) or deglase the fry pan with red wine and broth. Cover and simmer in the oven for an hour or til tender. Flavourful, tender, and easy.

rishu_pepper
12-28-2007, 12:43 AM
That sounds like something I could try, Jimbo. Easy enough for me anyway. But it'll have to wait till I get back from the US. Just visited Cabela's earlier.

NEEHAMA
12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
this year i to discouvered flour.

if you have a nice saute in the pan going with all the garlic and butter and spices rolling, just before it is done sprinkle a wee bit of flour in the pan and stir. This will make all the yummy drippings stick to the meat like a coating. then each piece will have more flavour. (and the gamer meats will have less strength).

rifleman
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
my son & I take out the breast meat slice it into 1/4" strips dip it in egg then dip it in seasoned bread/ cracker crumbs & fry it in olive oil.
umm umm good

betteroffishing
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
you wouldnt be interested in selling that old remington
to a newby interested in taking up the duck hunt would you?? please send me a pm if for sale thanks