PDA

View Full Version : Boat Blinds

Buck
12-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I have a 14ft Vhull boat with a 25 HP i was wondering if any of these boat blinds from Cabelas ect will fit a Vhull style boat?

HuntNHookSports
12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I think you would be better off to build your own frame and buy the camo material. Check out the custom blind Xcariboorer is building. It is way better than the bulk ones for sale.

boat blind
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...r/blind008.jpg

hey, just discovered waterfowl recently and love it so far!One thing that was apparent from the start was that THEY CAN SEE THE BOAT!
So today we started on a blind for my boat.
It will basically be a knockoff of the one in the cabelas catalog. The mesh will be fastened to the rails which will fold down for traveling.Here are a couple pics so far, i will post some more as it goes along
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...r/blind009.jpg

Buck
12-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I tried to view the photos but it says they can't be found?Is it posted anywhere else?

Ian F.
12-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Buck,

I built one for my 14 V hull this year, you are more then welcome to come take a boo and learn from all my mistakes,

Ian

Marc
12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Ian what's it like hunting out of it? Do you use a forward and after anchor? Do the ducks tend to shy away from it?

Ian F.
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
For sea ducks and divers it's just like a big rock and you'll have close decoying birds no issue. When I'm open water hunting I anchor it fore and aft and usually set it along the wind/tide/current line and set to shoot birds crossing so it's de-emphasized.

For puddlers I run the boat into a reed bed and add some rafia along the upper edges for some more 3d camo. Killed lots this way, but you have to remember the birds look down so movement still matters.

I believe there is no one right rig for all situations, but many rigs that are right for certain situations. Since I hunt many different species and locations, often within the same weekend I like the versatiity it affords and I just scout locations that are well suited to the boat blind.

Too bad we didn't have this conversation in Novemeber, I had the blind in the boat but we never needed it, and I took it off for this trip.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. if you search the fuge you'll find a whack of posts showing various construction ideas.

Ian F.
12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
http://partridgecreek.ca/Partridge%20Creek/Gunnin%20pics_files/can.jpg

Marc,

This shows you a little of what it looks like, I love it when it's up, but putting it up and stowing it take longer then I thought it would. All in all a great rig though.

When I have it out next I'll take some pics if I can, all depends on water depth!

Ian

Marc
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Is that a red head? Nice looking duck. How much roughly did it cost you to set up the boat blind? Need to think about getting a dog ramp built as well I guess. :biggrin:

Just checked out this link pretty cool looking dog ramp/platform check out the more views.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_018660&id=0040997018665a

Buck
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks Ian i was hoping you would chime in as you boys from the east have alot more experience with boat blind hunting.And yes i have been looking at the fuge and other Duck hunting and boat building sites. Layout boats, mud boats, pirogues ect ect.I have seen some at Cabelas that are like boat covers and you can tie grass on ect not sure if you would be consealed enough as it zips around your waist but it looks pretty handy.Do you have any pictures of your blind? Cheers

Ian F.
12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
That'd be a Canvasback, about 3/4's full and most likely will be my breakfast on new years day!

Cost
Conduit 3-4 lengths, $6ish each
Various ends say $50 all said and done, could have done it cheaper if I didn't change my mind part way though. I have a cheap source too, just not handy here on teh island.
camo, $5/yd, 10 or 12 yards, plus shipping (had to get it from the U.S.)
Lead line along the bottom $30
Netting I had
Miscellanious zip ties etc say another $25

I don't want to add it up, I'm sure you understand. Oh, and I bought some Raffia that was $40, but don't use it much so unless you have an area where you need to be grassed and can't park it, I'd save the $$

I've built a layout, a sneakbox, a scull boat, a meadow box, and a kayak and can say unequvically, that each person has there own answer to their own situation and that changes over time and as you tweek your system, that's half the fun!

Buck et al, when I get home and put the blind back on (I made it so it comes off with 4 screws) I'll snap some pics. Maybe Michel will chime in, he's shot out of it a couple of times.

Very best,

Ian

Buck
12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Yes i can see where having a few options would be good.Time to put the thinking cap on so i"ll have a good setup for next season.There is a lot of info out there from making your own mudmotor to using a weedwacker to propel you around.This is going to be fun.

HuntNHookSports
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
That'd be a Canvasback, about 3/4's full

What do you mean by this. What makes a full?

I had to use a book to id the canvasback I bagged this year. The book said VIsland is out of their range.
How full is this guy?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Cowichan_Canvasback.jpg

Ian F.
12-31-2007, 09:04 AM
a full drake has white sides and a white to silver back

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Canvasback.arp.750pix.jpg

Most birds get their back and top edge of the sidepocket feathers in last, and different species fill out in their breeding plummage at different times. Shovelors are one of the latest, and mergansers and eiders take 3 years to get full plummage, 2 for goldeneye's

No matter how a can looks, they sure taste good!

Congrats on "the stray"! Although they are common in alaska a good population comes through washington and we are inbetween I just think the data is light.

Ian

Buck
12-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Well i ordered the Northern flight blind from Cabelas.Couldn't resist its on sale from $3oo.oo to $120.oo.Just the frame then i will do the rest.I'll let you know how it goes.

HuntNHookSports
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Well i ordered the Northern flight blind from Cabelas.Couldn't resist its on sale from $3oo.oo to $120.oo.Just the frame then i will do the rest.I'll let you know how it goes.

I would recommend getting the camo grass mats that come with that blind. During the sale Cabelas only want $40 more but the camo is worth about $100.

That camo grass mats are very effective where I hunt.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Cow_Bay_112407b.jpg

Buck
01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Yes i'm sure they are good but i hear they require alot of care they will rot and mildew easily if wet.I'm looking at something synthetic from Avery there are alot of choices .I also ordered some camo netting that i can add grass to.I will be going for a trip down there in the new year just wanted to get the frame before the sale ends.