PDA

View Full Version : Dead hound found

bcsteve
12-24-2007, 09:48 AM
X-posting for a member on CGN :(

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone from the Hunting BC board comes here and knows someone missing a dog like this. I'd post this there myself, but I had account problems and asked to be white listed for now, so feel free to cross post this.

Just outside Lake Cowichan as you are heading to Duncan, first side road where the first red gate is (the place with the 870 acre land for sale sign).

Looked like some sort of walker hound, tri coloured (Beagle like colours), hound ears, and eyes, approx 70lbs.

Looked well fed, nails trimmed etc, no collar or ID tags.
I didn't have gloves so I didn't inspect for an ear tattoo or microchip, and I didn't check to see what sex it was.

Looked like it was hit buy a vehicle and was left or moved to that spot.
I believe it happened Sat night or Sunday morning, given the fact that I didn't see it before then.

If this is your dog please scoop it up, and bury it before more folks have to drive by it this weekend. And or before things warm up and we have to see a dog decompose for months. It's prob' too far off the hwy for the hwy department to pick it up.

Shame really, and a sucky time of year to loose a great looking dog like that.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

BlacktailStalker
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Thats the pitts. Hope its nobodys off this site.

marblewoodhead
12-25-2007, 02:02 AM
The owner should be kicked in the butt,He should be hunting the dog with a collar with name tag or with permanent marker on the collar with phone number. Or if can feed a hound and hunt a hound ,he should own a tracking collar.And if he can't afford a tracking collar he shouldn't be hunting with dogs.You put so much time and money to rise and train a hound its ******ed not to protect your dog.Its just stupid.

Barracuda
12-25-2007, 03:17 AM
I dont know a single hounds person that runs a dog without a collar , unless some jackass took the collar after the fact or it got loose from one of the local homes (within a 20km as hounds can travel)I cant see a reason for a hound to be without a collar ( I guess it could have slipped its collar) . almost every dog has a collar on hound or not and most places have a requirment for liscencing so you would think it would at least have a collar on it for that reason .

sounds like the dog is well taken care of so i would guess someone is missing it. very sad thing to hear especially at Christmas .

marblewoodhead
12-25-2007, 09:50 AM
There is a few guys that hunt in the area that only put a tracking collar on their best dogs.Cause they are so cheap to spead $150.00 for a collar.

Barracuda
12-25-2007, 12:36 PM
sounds like this dog didnt have any collar, tracking or otherwise on it which makes no sense. Have you ever seen a dog intentianally hunted without any collar ?? .
getting hit by a car is pretty sad thing to happen, hopefully the owners find it and get some closure

Marc
12-25-2007, 12:44 PM
The only time I put a collar on my dogs are when I'm walking them on a leash, to and from the truck to the boat, or training them. Then again they're retrievers and don't usually leave my line of sight. It's sad that someone has lost their dog and there is nothing worst then never finding it.

Marc.

Spokerider
12-25-2007, 12:50 PM
The owner should be kicked in the butt,He should be hunting the dog with a collar with name tag or with permanent marker on the collar with phone number. Or if can feed a hound and hunt a hound ,he should own a tracking collar.And if he can't afford a tracking collar he shouldn't be hunting with dogs.You put so much time and money to rise and train a hound its ******ed not to protect your dog.Its just stupid.

What makes you so sure the dog was being hunted by it's owner at the time it was killed, or even ever...? because it was a hound?

Many folks own hounds that never have been or never will be hunted, and are merely cherished pets....just as any breed of dog may be.

Another scenario to consider is: perhaps someone else discovered the dead dog before bcsteve happened across it, realized the value in the tracking and shocking collars it may have been wearing and stole them from the rightfull owner.

As you can see, this incident may have been played out in more than one scenario before the dog was killed by a vehicle, if it even was struck...

I don't doubt you when you say; "There is a few guys that hunt in the area that only put a tracking collar on their best dogs.Cause they are so cheap to spead $150.00 for a collar."
Unfortuneately, that's probably true...

DBM
12-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Is there a chance the dog was shot behind the ear by an owner who was too cheap to euthanize it at the vets? That could explain why the collar was missing.

marblewoodhead
12-25-2007, 01:44 PM
I've owned hounds and I just had to put down my last hound "cancer" . I just built a home for a friend a 1/4 - 1/2 mile from where the dog is or was,and last fall and spring their was on four different times hounds came through the 22 acre parcel of land and only once one of the hounds had a tracking collar on it (bluetick) and the other hounds had no collars at all or just a regular collar but most of the hounds .Most of the hounds you can tell ,who's hounds they are by the gene pool. I always had a tracking collar on a HOUND when it left the YARD or THE TRUCK just for peace of mind or YOU JUST OWE IT TO YOUR DOG OR DOGS.

Barracuda
12-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree that the hounds should have a tracking collar on its cheap insurance in my mind. At least an id collar, where we are it is mandatory to have liscenced dogs so they are meant to wear collars , I admit that i sometime take the collar off when the dogs are lounging around in the house but that is rare, the minute they leave the door they must have a collar on, when we leave the house with the hounds for hunting we have the tracking collars on the hounds and turn on the collars before we leave that way we dont forget to pull the magnets or any other silly misshaps.

Perhaps its just us but we actually like our dogs and all our pups went to homes that made the assurance that they would NEVER run them withut a tracking collar.
I sure hope that who owns the dog finds it, we dont know the circumstances surrounding its demise other then it appears that it was hit by a car and has no collars which is sad no matter how you look at it.

Jagermeister
12-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Quit dumping on the owner of the dog until you know the rest of the story. It just might be that the dog slipped the collar, this happens you know. And then again, maybe someone stole the dog and removed the collar and the dog escaped the captor and was trying to get home when struck by a vehicle.

marblewoodhead
12-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I not dumping,For 17 years I had hounds not once a hound of every slipped out of a collar ( a Lab will). As a owner your responsable for that dog and if its stolen or lost. Its up to HOUNDSMAN to tell other houndsman about the hound .Word of mouth(THE PIPE LINE).If they don't ,They are not HOUNDSMAN.

12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Quit dumping on the owner of the dog until you know the rest of the story.

X2!! It sure is the pits for what sounds like a healthy dog to meet its end in such a fashion......but the unsupported assumptions don't do any good at all, infact its makes those who pass such judgments look foolish IMO.

Barracuda
12-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I not dumping,For 17 years I had hounds not once a hound of every slipped out of a collar ( a Lab will). As a owner your responsable for that dog and if its stolen or lost. Its up to HOUNDSMAN to tell other houndsman about the hound .Word of mouth(THE PIPE LINE).If they don't ,They are not HOUNDSMAN.

why cant a hound slip a collar , I guess nobody has ever given my hounds that memo or the thousand of other hounds across the us and canada that have slipped collars (never mind the rest of the world).
i know of others that have had a hound get caught on there collar on a tree and almost try to kill themselves trying to get free and luckily have gotten free .

there have been hunters that have accidently had the dogs get out of the box before collering them up (this one of the precautionary reasons we collar up before we leave, that with trying to collar up a hound that has exited can be a real pain) . until the day that it is a rule that hounds must wear tracking collars there will be those that will not want to use them .Although i do have my feelings on this I cannot condemn them as what they are doing is not illiegal but it is not my practice and that is my choice as it is thiers.

I think to assume the dogs demise is a result of a hunters negligence or perhaps a negligence is a factor is not very respectfull is it . the dog could have been at a boarding kennel? it could have been frightened and bolted etc and the owner could be worried sick

trimmed nails and in good physical condition do not sound like a dog that will not be missed , it sounds more like a simple accident or oversight that has ended in tragic results and no amount of holier then thou postering or fingerpointing is going to bring that dog back to their owners.

all i can say is that i am sorry for the owners loss whomever they may be.

Calum
12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I was the one that found the hound folks. I didn't see the body when I drove by today, but then again the snowplow went through, and it could be covered. I hope the owners can find some closure.

Also I have found several dogs in this situation over the years, and also saved a few I found wandering in the ditches before they stepped out onto the hwy, which is a really bad hwy for this sort of thing.

Thanx for x posting this for me bcsteve, somehow I managed to figure out my Internet glitches over xmass, and I wanted to get this info out ASAP in case it was a dog that belonged to one of the members here.