PDA

View Full Version : rusty shells

rudar
12-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Was doing my good deed for the day and picking up everyone else's spent shells, and found one in the mud that wasn't spent yet. But the head is probably about 50% rust, and the crimp is pretty well packed with mud, grit, and duck poop... So I don't really want to chamber it and ``dispose'' of it downrange, but I don't think I should be tossing live rounds in the trash, either... What's a safe option, here?

Also, my own shells have been out on enough unsuccessful trips that they're starting to get a bit of rust spotting the head... At what point would they no longer be good to use? Are modern shells fully sealed, or is it still likely that they'll get water into the shell and rust all the pellets together?

Crazy_Farmer
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Not all shells are fully sealed, some will actually swell and either not cycle or get hung up trying to eject. Also some will not fire if too wet. There are a few brands that make shells "more" water resistance, winchesters patented drylok come to mind, I know other brands have the same thing. If you just leave them in a dry place they should dry out and be fine. I wouldnt be too worried about a bit of rust on the base, shouldn't hurt anything, aslong as where the firing pin hits everything looks okay, it should fire fine it just may hang up a bit ejecting.

sneg
12-24-2007, 10:57 AM
If primer is not corroded and it looks good around primer,it would be safe to open shell and unload pellets and powder. You can re-use powder or throw it in the water.Than load shell to shotgun and fire ,if you can. Now all components safe for disposal.
If shell base does not look good or else than it would be wise to call RSMP and ask for safe disposal .
I found that steel pellets can rust quite big,specially on salt water ,which may affect the shot pattern. To prevent water ingress a little water proofing with wax will help.
For base , I wipe it with sligthly oily rag.No any rust issues.
I would not recommend to keep till next season the ammunition ,which was in contact with water or started to rust .