PDA

View Full Version : Runnin Traffic

Crazy_Farmer
12-22-2007, 01:10 PM
The geese are just barely getting off the roost before hitting the fields which is in a no shoot zone so you cant get under them so running traffics the only other option. We had a flock commit of 20 lessers land just behind the decoys which pulled in two other circling flocks. Around 100 birds were in the decoys, we got out the blinds and both my brother(mattchu_19) and I tripled on them. The weather was not just raining alot but getting colder which turned it to slush. Pretty great morning, we'll be out alot in the next week since its christmas holidays.

We did up the blinds extra good last night and it payed off big time and the geese had no idea.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2022th_800x600.jpg

Marc
12-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks like you've got it figured out. Nice concealment and good shooting!

Dano
12-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow! 100 in the decoys. There sure is a big difference in the size of your geese. The blinds look great, have you ever fallen asleep in them? I was out in the prairies and my dad's buddy said they had a guy from Hawaii out and they had to wake him up when the geese came!
We had one flight of geese come by last week and I tripled and ol' Dan doubled. There were only 4 geese though and 3 came down! Since ol' Dan only shot twice, he jokingly told me I only got one! And I was sure he only fired once and had missed! :smile: I'll put the video camera on my gun so we can have picture evidence next time!
I'm going out tommorrow and boxing day, I'll remember my camera and get some pics, the snow is way down on the mountains now and if the sky clears the pics will be great.
Dan

Crazy_Farmer
12-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys. Yea the sizes we've noticed this year have been a huge difference. In years past we've normally only shot big honkers in the 8-12 pound range, but this year we've been flooded with lessers and cackling geese. Most in the 5 pound range getting as small as 3 pounds, barely bigger then a drake mallard. We used to pass and jump shoot a lot more but since we've put in the time and effort with alot better gear, shooting landing geese is the only way to go for us now.

Also, no I've never fallen asleep in the blinds, you hear of lots of guys who do it, some guys also set up the dekes at around midnight the night before and sleep in the blinds till shooting hour if its on public land and they wanna get the early worm.

Scottish Warrior
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
. some guys also set up the dekes at around midnight the night before and sleep in the blinds till shooting hour if its on public land and they wanna get the early worm.

That's some serious dedication!

Ian F.
12-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Well done boys, well done.

Hey, do you ever get any Aleutians? smaller birds with white ring between the black of the neck and the body

Ian

mattchu_19
12-23-2007, 08:43 AM
We havent seen any aleutions I think they stay outside of Vancouver Island. We have shot a few true Cacklers and some other geese that were lessers with the start of a white collar, so maybe they were Richardsons.
With lots of talks with the guys at DSD and other guys in Oregon, It seems we are shooting the same geese as them. In Oregon they winter like 5 lesser sub-spieces. Maybe one day we will get some of the neck collars and bands that their always shooting in Oregon too.

We've read a few articles on aleutions, very neat little bird, considering they were almost no more. I think in Oregon and California you are only allowed 2 a day and they are only open for a certain season.