PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun chokes

Buck
12-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Looking for info on which Chokes to use for Ducks and Geese with a 12 gauge i have noticed the same choke changes to modified or full with the type of shot your using be it lead or steel and there are several differant chokes that change that.Which would be preffered or is this trial and error shooting differant loads at the range?Thanx

Tanya
12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
We use modified chokes for waterfowl with the steel and then switch over to full choke for big game hunting with 00Buck

Crazy_Farmer
12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Pretty much what tanya says, depends on the yardage of your shots but anything from an IC to Modified to Full. And most chokes say modifed for lead but a full for steel, same with IC for lead but modifed for steel. If you're shooting around 20-35 yards I'd use a modified for steel. Also patterning a gun with your ammo helps tons. You see how tight the pattern is at what range your shooting.

Qwa-honn
12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I believe patternting you gun is the best bet on figuring which choke works best for you.

Qwa-honn
12-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry and knowing how far you generaly shoot. Things can change pretty quick in the field/marsh so I carry my choke tubes in my bag with me at all times.

Buck
12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanx for the input I just bought a Browning BPS realtree 12 gauge 3.5 Inch and put in the modified choke and shot my first duck with it this morning.I like the gun will be using it for turkey as well.Was going to get an auto but my up and coming hunting partner is left handed so should make a great gun for him as well.Love the bottom eject makes collecting the hulls easy.

Marc
12-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Shotguns are sorta like rifles in a sence, what brand and weight of shot in one gun may not pattern the same in an other shotgun with the same choke. Pattern your shell and once you find a brand and load it likes stick with it.