PDA

View Full Version : Duck hunting for Christmas

Tanya
12-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Tanya's hubby John here;

Still lots of birds coming to our fields.
Going to have to sneak out between chores and Christmas duties for at least a few hours on Sunday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/Dec1607003.jpg

betteroffishing
12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
good times eh. im looking to get in to the birding buisines as i live in the lower mainland and like the idea of extending my season a bit and looking at that handfull of birds you have there ...WOW. any suggestions on what type of arms to purchase and what i should be prepared to pay for a begginers set up?? are decoys essential?? is there local clubs to join that do not require the average guy to 2nd mortgage his house??any practical advice would be appreciated

betteroffishing
12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
sorry i just realized that your on the island. still , advice ??

rudar
12-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty new myself, but for what it's worth:

If I were buying a new gun (hopefully, when, but we'll see...), I'd go for a 3.5" chamber in a pump action, and get it all nice and camouflaged just for fun. Pumps are cheaper than semi's, and a semi that can handle 3.5" shells (which if you want (and you will :) ) to get into pass-shooting geese), I don't think they'll normally handle 2-3/4" trap loads, which you'll want to shoot about 6 cases of over the summer to get good at shooting moving targets... I think the Mossberg ATS, Remington 870, and Benelli Nova all come in that configuration; $370 to $620 at wholesale outdoor sports; possibly a bit more locally (but we should support the local guys). Not sure which come with what choke tubes---factor that into deciding which is the better deal. Also, most important is that the gun fits you well, and mine annoys me because the safety is in an awkward spot. Like with boots, buy the one that fits best, rather than the one that's cheapest.

I've been going out a bunch with another new guy from these forums, and he seems to have had more success on hunts by himself without any decoys, than when we've hunted together and had decoys out. Maybe that means there's something wrong with my decoys or with the way I set them out. Or maybe it's just chance, and shows that decoys aren't necessary.

Unless you have a boat and/or dog, you'll need waders. I'd recommend neoprene, as it's a bit stretchy. Mine are nylon, and the boot fits perfectly, but they're a bit short in the leg, don't stretch at all, and are a bit annoying to walk in and positively poor for sitting/squatting. Also, a camo rainjacket or four-way wader jacket, camo hat, and neoprene gloves. Though again, I can't entirely say how necessary it is to wear full camo everywhere, so if you're on a budget, wear what you've got and see how it goes. I'd forget about supporting the local guys here; I haven't found any with much selection at the cheaper end, and the mail order guys here suck as far as service is concerned. Cabelas (in the US and now near Montreal...) has good inexpensive stuff. $120 for waders, 140 for a jacket, 20-30 for cap and gloves, 25 for a dozen decoys, 35 for a spinning-wing decoy. (and up, of course, but the cheaper end of the spectrum should work *fine*) They just opened a store in Lacey, WA, which is within driving distance for stuff like waders you may want to try on before buying.

As for clubs, well, the gun ranges are cheap, and you'll want to join one in order to shoot the half-dozen cases of skeet. The clubs that give you access to private lands, as far as I know, are spendy. But there is lots of public land to be hunted. Get the Fraser Valley Special Hunting Area map and regulations from your local store, study it carefully, and then go out and explore. What you're looking for is a) what does the area look like at different tide levels? Will there be water there? Where will ducks want to land?, and b) Where are you going to hide? Even if you have camo and blind materials and stuff, you'll want some ``stuff'' to blend in with. If your blind is the only thing taller than 2" for miles around, it will stick out. And lastly, c) are where you are and where the ducks are close enough together to reach out and shoot them?

For far more info, search for Ian F.'s four-part series in this forum. Good stuff in there (Thanks, Ian!)

Tanya
12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
good times eh. im looking to get in to the birding buisines as i live in the lower mainland and like the idea of extending my season a bit and looking at that handfull of birds you have there ...WOW. any suggestions on what type of arms to purchase and what i should be prepared to pay for a begginers set up?? are decoys essential?? is there local clubs to join that do not require the average guy to 2nd mortgage his house??any practical advice would be appreciated

A Remington 870 pump in 12g, #2 shells for ducks, a dozen decoys, a call, some decent waterproof camo and neoprene waders. Dog is good, but not mandatory. Really not that expensive and something you can add to as time goes by. sirmailorder.ca you can even get the gun, or your local shops should be able to provide you. cabelas.com for lots of ideas and options.

Tanya
12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Tanya's hubby John here;

One thing T forgot is a face mask of some sort. Nothing flares ducks faster
than a nice shiny human face.
Also for steel shot I would go with a modified choke tube. My personal preference is an 870 in 12 gauge. Design hasen't changed in 50 years and I know people that are still shooting ones that old.