PDA

View Full Version : ??? about a chekmate

sealevel
12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I got a hold of a older chekmate 37lb knight . The string that came with it is about 5in to short. All i have on hand is 8125 a no stretch stuff . If i use it could it break the limbs .

Bow Walker
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
sealevel - how long is the bow when it's unstrung? Tip to tip?

Bowzone_Mikey
12-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Merv ... are you jumpin ship to Team Trad ... .....

the best person to ask about 8125 and sticks is Pete

sealevel
12-20-2007, 06:38 PM
sealevel - how long is the bow when it's unstrung? Tip to tip?
bowwalker the bows 68in.

mickey......... am i jumping ship...probley not completely i use to shoot recurves an remember how much fun it was to wonder though the bush and stump shooting..... i have already talked to pete ...but graybark he`s been shooting chekmates for----------god i don`t know

Bow Walker
12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Merv?...Dan here....68" long, eh?
When you say that the string is too short - do you mean that it's way, way too short, maybe like over 6" short? I know it's a dumb newby question, but it helps to establish a starting point. Let's say that you aren't a noob...

If I remember, from what I've read, there's a couple things that need to be done here.
1. find out what the brace height should be by contacting Checkmate themselves or by going here and asking some pertinent question(s) http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5.

2. get a new string in and around 56" to 58" long. You can put a few twists in the string if it doesn't flex the limbs enough to give you your desired brace height.

Hope this isn't something you already know/have tried. It's just the obvious thing to do.

sealevel
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Dan the string is 60in and has a BH of about 14 in from what i have been told is the string should be 3in less then the overall length witch would be 65. What no one can tell me weather a no stretch material like 8125 will harm the limbs . they just tell me it might.

Bow Walker
12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm probably wrong but, if the string is only 8" short - when you brace the bow, would not the limbs only flex about 4" each?

BUT if when you brace the bow and it comes to a brace height of 14" - well that's just a "tad" too much.:shock:

Where the heck is greybark when you need him, eh?

Try that link to the Trad section of A.T.

Onesock
12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I would start out with the string about 4-5 inches shorter than the bow and adjust to about an 81/2 inch brace height. If the limb tips are built up or re-inforced you should have no trouble shooting the non stretch string, if not shoot dacron. You will have to fine tune the setup but this will get you shooting.

sealevel
12-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks onesock the tips are built up with 2 extra layers of glass . I will build one for now and order some dacron after christ.

Onesock
12-21-2007, 08:05 AM
The tips should be reinforced with micarta or wood for you to shoot anything but dacron.

sealevel
12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
here`s words of wisdom from Marq . string should be 64 1/2 and use dacron so it don`t go kaboom

greybark
12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
:grin:Hey Merv , Marc`s the guru on this one , If you insist on using it with a non-streach string you run the risk of damageing the limb tips .
:twisted: However , since the bow is rather low poundage (37lbs) and rather long you may be able to get away with it .
Merv , as you are a very good compound bow shooter there will be little problem on doing well with a traditional bow . The only problem you may have is the problem of always having to shoot up-hill .LOL . Check with Onesock as he can help you out on this one . LOL
Merry Christmas Onesock !!!

sealevel
12-23-2007, 12:56 AM
after a seventeen hour round trip to horseshoe bay today to get my grandson for christmas. and a stop at boormans for 2 rolls of d50 string i am ready to make a string......graybarkcause i am allways shooting uphill should i speed up the bottom limb.:-?

and where is the best place to buy a new checkmate ???

greybark
12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
:smile: Hey Merv , Give me a call at 604 824 1493 and or stop in on one of your trips this way . Are you going to the Abby Indoors ???

Bow Walker
12-23-2007, 03:26 PM
after a seventeen hour round trip to horseshoe bay today to get my grandson for christmas. and a stop at boormans for 2 rolls of d50 string i am ready to make a string......graybarkcause i am allways shooting uphill should i speed up the bottom limb.:-?

and where is the best place to buy a new checkmate ???

Try this place.....http://www.bow-shop.com/traditionalhome.html

Onesock
12-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Windfeather Archery, Cranbrook BC. Monty Evan. The snake can fix you up. Don't have his number handy but I can get it to you if you would like it.

greybark
12-24-2007, 12:08 PM
:smile: Monty`s ph # 1-250-426-8565 .