PDA

View Full Version : New and need info?

MDG3
12-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi to all,

I'm 45 and was asked by my brother to be his hunting partner (he lost his and not been out in a few years).

Anyways, I'm going for my PAL/hunter# soon and thought if this is a good time to get it? I alway wanted to, but was apprehensive.

I go camping and fishing (with the family on occasion), so is this the next step? (I know, that is a somewhat of a loaded question.:wink:)

Also, last year I almost bought a pellet rifle for practice and for camping and to keep the kids busy, hopefully to teach them about hunting someday.(in the future not now as I'm a newb). Is this a good idea?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for ANY replies.

jrjonesy
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Any time is a great time to do it and you will never regret having taken your PAL and CORE courses. There's a lot of very important basics that are even more significant if you plan on passing on what you learn to your kids. I think pellet guns are a great idea for kids as long as they handle them like a real gun. Great way to learn and peak their interest.

Hunting is a great common ground to have with your family and provides reasons to spend time together. I'm 38 and look forward all year to 1 or 2 weeks of hunting with my Dad and older brother. Makin' memories.

If one or both of your kids are older than 12, get them to take the CORE course with you too.

Big7
12-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't think that there's any better way to spend time with friends and family than hunting or fishing. It's very rewarding and will provide you with many fond memories especially having your brother for a hunting partner!

Going through the "CORE" course and getting your PAL is a good place to start as you will need these to hunt and own firearms. Having said that, you can still buy a pellet gun without a pal (as long as it is under the legal limit for feet per second) and it is a good way to practice shooting for yourself or for introducing youngsters. Pellet guns can also be used for hunting grouse, squirrels etc once you have your "CORE."

I think if you are seriously considering getting into hunting maybe small calibre rifle (.223, .22-250, .243 etc.) would be a little more practical for you to practice with. It would also give you a gun that you could hunt with in the future.

Go for it...you won't regret getting into the sport!

Big7
12-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I would agree if you have any kids old enough to have them take the CORE with you...my dad took it with me (even though he didn't need to) and it was a blast. I am looking forward to the day when my son is old enough to hunt with me. He was with me this year when I shot my moose and he was pretty excited even though he is only 2 1/2!

Joe89
12-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I was 37 when I got mine. Took my youngest son(10) and my daughter(15) with me to get theres. There is nothing like spending time with the kids in the outdoors especially when they get there first animal. Now we all looking forward and count the days until opening day every year.

DO IT !!! You won't regret it

Mr. Dean
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Go Go Go!!!!!

islandstalker
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
i think its a good course even if u dont plan on hunting.

money well spent.

SUAFOYT
12-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Like the others say, go for it. You and your family will never regret it. No apologies needed for your (long) post. Most of us here need twice that long just to get started.

MDG3
12-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the quick replies and words of encouragement. It is much appreceiated!!!!! :-)

Steeleco
12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I started my now 11 year old son on an air rifle. If for no other reason it teaches a newbie/youngster muzzle control. He can shoot all day long in the back yard and has a blast. Now he packs a 7mm-08 and has NEVER pointed the muzzle at anyone, This is a good thing!!!!!

MDG3
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
That's what I was thinking for the kids(air rifle)....Oh OK me as well. :-| Wow 11 years old and a 7mm.

Steeleco
12-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Not quite, it's a 308 case that shoots 7mm bullets. He's big, just not that big!!

MDG3
12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks to all for your insights. Maybe I'm old fashion/old school, but I'm amazed at the amount of family involvement(kids) in this, "sometimes" , frowned upon recreation.

I'll be doing more research and reading on this forum.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a tree hunger(leaf linker....good one...HE HE), if anybody is wondering!!!! ;-)

Phoneguy
12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I am 44, just finished (I think) my first year hunting. Have fished as long as I can remember. We started by joining the Saperton Fish and Game club. They have an indoor 22 range in Queens Park, New West, Junior nights is Monday, Adults Tuesday, Air Rifle Thursday and Sunday AM. My 12 year old shoots on Mondays, me on Tuesdays, my 16 year old won't have much to do with it.
Nice thing with the club is you don't need to own your own rifles, PAL or anything. You can use a club gun, under supervision in the range. There are range officers there who do safety training, and the environment is fairly controlled, especially for the juniors. Cheap to join for a family too. (I think $70.00/yr)

After a couple of months I decided to do my PAL and Core courses. Club instructors put the courses on a couple of times a year. I think the next one is in Feb.

Finding a club like that is a bonus. Membership in most of the clubs also gets you membership in the BC Wildlife Ass, which gets you insurance that you need/want depending on where you are hunting.

James

MDG3
12-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks James. That's very good info for a newb like me and others as well.

I'll look into it, for sure.

islandstalker
12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
taking a kid shooting also takes away the curiosity factor, which is a good thing IMO.

Fixit
12-20-2007, 12:48 AM
taking a kid shooting also takes away the curiosity factor, which is a good thing IMO.

very good point!