PDA

View Full Version : A different wader question?

Phoneguy
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
So I am thinking about getting some neoprenes (too, maybe santa?). I do some flyfishing (not often enough) and am interested in getting into waterfowlling. Do I want a stocking foot wader and boots, or would it be better to get a boot bottom....Lots of pros and cons for either, lets hear them..

Thanks
James

Dirty
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Waste of time getting one set of waders specific for fly fishing and hunting. 1) The wading boots for fishing waders get clogged with mud and don't work worth a crap. You will end up slip sliding around in the mud. 2) The fishing ones generally aren't very thick and are likely to become holy waders. Get breathable waders for fly fishing and buy cheap waders from cabela's for hunting. You can get decent rubber boot foot waders from cabelas in the 140$ range. Just my two cents, may cost a bit more but it will save you in the end.

Untouchable
12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Depends what king of fishing your going to be doing? I wouldn't think your going to be in a float tube because if this was your intention than you definitely don't want boots. But if you're talking about just river fishing Than the breathable's are okay however they are pretty cold. I prefer the booted style for duck hunting or retrieving moose. Personally if you're not planning on fly fishing from a tube then the neoprene booted style are the way to go, however, You can always just wear boots over top.

Tanya
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0047610830650a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=3&noImage=0&Ntt=waders&Ntk=Products&QueryText=waders&Ntx=matchall&N=4294967281&nyr=1

These are great, all 4 of us have and use them.

bc sportsman
12-25-2007, 05:16 PM
I purchased a set of hip waders as well as chest waders from Browning. They may no longer make these but they are a thin synthetic material that looks like a giant plastic sock (but much more durable material).

They roll into nothing and weigh nothing. Great for pack trips. When you need to cross a river or wade a lake, you take off your hiking boots, slip these over your socks and pants, put your boots back on again and wade on thru. On the other side, you take these off and put your boots back on. The boots are wet but they dry very quickly with you walking in them and the wet boots never really permeate your socks.

I have also used these for fishing using wading boots (rather than hiking boots). The wool pants inside these light weight waders keep be toasty warm.

The big positives with these waders is:
1) very light weight for packing/hunting
2) great support when wading and have to deal with either heavy packs and/or rocks/boulders because you are using hiking boots for support
3) stay warm by being able to use your warm pants inside the waders
4) very tough material

Very versatile product.

Marc
12-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I guess it all comes down to the type of terrain you plan on hunting waterfowl in. As far as tubing goes I don't think you can have to much wader but when it comes to waterfowl there is nothing worst then the feeling of cold water rushing down your boot or groin area when your setting up your decoys before first light and sitting in damp, cold waders all morning shivering waiting for the ducks to come in.

Spend the couple hundred and get yourself a good pair. They should last you a good number of years depending on how much you hunt and how you look after them.