PDA

View Full Version : 22lr bird shot

steelheadSABO
12-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi has anybody used 22lr bird shot for hunting or target practice how much does it spread and whats the penatration like.I will be using it for mice in the dark

BearSniper
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Never heard of it before.

It would seen to be a good application on Squirrrels ands Crows:idea:

Mr. Dean
12-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I have some but never used then.

I opted for these instead:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC_0098_edited-1.JPG

Gotta be fairly close. IIRC after 15' they open up significantly. Wouldn't recommend them on birds. Rats however, go 'splat'.

Gateholio
12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I've used it on mice and packrats. Works great at close range.
I woudln't bother trying it on crows or grouse.

Great for in sheds and barns, when you dont' want over penetration, but it's not a good hunting device.

kloosterboer
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I had some they were useless couldn't even go though cardboard at 5 yrds. But the one's i had were quite old so maybe there better now.

Archer
12-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I shot at a starling from 5 yards, directly below him, and aside from a couple of feathers floating around, he was basically laughing as he glided away. The stuff is crap. I much prefer the old .177 pellet gun.

kloosterboer
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
The stuff is crap. I much prefer the old .177 pellet gun.

2nd That!!!

Pete
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
22 LR bird shot does work. However, you have to use a smooth bore .22 to make it happen. Bird shot coming out of a rifled bore does not work. The shot is spinning as leaves the barrel a result you will be more than lucky to hit anything much less dispatch it. Smooth bore .22 are still available today, Savage MKIG and Ruger 77/22 are and example of just a few. We used to use a smooth bore .22 with shot in pig barns to shoot mice and rats when I was younger
Pete

Mr. Dean
12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Bird feathers are like armour....

ohno
12-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I have a box of 22LR w/ #12 shot. It is the size of cream of wheat or corn meal. It will not penetrate a sheet of paper at 25yrds.

As others have stated close shots are a must and a pellet gun may be a better option on mice.

boxhitch
12-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Now theres another good reason for an ATC.

I have some but never used then.

I opted for these instead:

Gotta be fairly close. IIRC after 15' they open up significantly. Wouldn't recommend them on birds. Rats however, go 'splat'.
You know....in case of dangerous disease carrying vermin.
I bet those aren't available locally ?? I need some.

Mr. Dean
12-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Now theres another good reason for an ATC.

You know....in case of dangerous disease carrying vermin.
I bet those aren't available locally ?? I need some.

Speer components - Readily available @ a handloading supply store near you. :smile:

moose hunter
12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
those birdshots work well and you can buy them at can tire very good crow and magpie extermiantors

CanAm500
12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Whats the difference in the design of the bullet?

Wildman
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
22 LR bird shot does work. However, you have to use a smooth bore .22 to make it happen. Bird shot coming out of a rifled bore does not work. The shot is spinning as leaves the barrel a result you will be more than lucky to hit anything much less dispatch it. Smooth bore .22 are still available today, Savage MKIG and Ruger 77/22 are and example of just a few. We used to use a smooth bore .22 with shot in pig barns to shoot mice and rats when I was younger
Pete

Yeah, I think you are right. I bought some. Used it in my .22 (rifled) It didn't work worth !@#. All it did was severly foul the inside of my barrel.

KevinB
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I think the stuff used to be (or maybe still is?) called "specimen shot" - i.e. for collecting specimens of small animals without doing much damage. It can work pretty well on mice if you are within about 3 feet. Otherwise they are just noisemakers.

My brother in law accidentally loaded one up for a grouse this fall, needless to say the rifle went bang and the grouse just stood there blinking at him.

johnes50
12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I think the stuff used to be (or maybe still is?) called "specimen shot" - i.e. for collecting specimens of small animals without doing much damage. It can work pretty well on mice if you are within about 3 feet. Otherwise they are just noisemakers.

My brother in law accidentally loaded one up for a grouse this fall, needless to say the rifle went bang and the grouse just stood there blinking at him.

That made me laugh. I've had the same thing happen with a 410.

KevinB
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I laughed too when he told me about it. :-D

Bowzone_Mikey
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
useless in a semi .... any bird shot I ever tried in my win64 wouldnt operate the action fully pretty good in a bolt action or a plinker but anything beyond 10 feet and is just a dusting

Mr. Dean
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Whats the difference in the design of the bullet?

The .22's are just like these but hold less shot and (of course) have less umph.
I thought I had some laying around here, but I think I passed them on after I built the .44's (?). If I find them, I'll put up a pic.

knighthunter
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I tried them one time on a sparrow that was sitting on a hydro line in our farm yard.I was directly below it at about 25 feet. At the shot all it did was ruffle it's feathers and then flew away. piece of crap, waste of money. If I remember correctly, the end of the brass was just crimped shut and when fired they opened up. This was about 40 years ago. Crap, i'm getting old.Lol.