PDA

View Full Version : Another question then re 870 and Duck/Goose

Phoneguy
12-07-2007, 05:45 PM
What kind of shot shells should I buy? The gun will handle 3"". So what size shot and what else do I need to know.

Thanks
James

Oh, and any farmers on the way out to Harrison that would let a couple of guys shoot on their land on Sunday?

again, Thanks
James

Crazy_Farmer
12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
For ducks and geese anything steel going over 1300fps, the norm seems to be right around 1550fps. I find everyone uses from a #4 up to a #2 for ducks, and a #2 up to BBB for geese. If you want a specific brand, pretty much what most people use is Winchester Experts, pretty cheat from canadian tire or anywhere else. They should have most shot sizes and lengths of shells, they all pretty much go over 1500fps.

Scottish Warrior
12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I use #2 or #3 shot for ducks and BB for geese. It's interesting that a big ass flight of low flying geese always seem to be overhead when my gun is loaded with #3 shot!

MichelD
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I got at least one low flying snow goose with #3 this season.

Crazy_Farmer
12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Heck we get them so close, I havent even opened up my case of 3 1/2" BBs, I've been using 3inch #2s so far and been crushing everything. Shot placement is truely the key to good shooting, or just being damn lucky. :wink:

Farmer
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
As Crazy Farmer stated, Velocity is important. Because steel shot is lighter than lead, you compensate by using loads that go faster so that the force hitting the duck will be similar to that of lead shot. At least that is the theory. Early on with steel shooting, the reccomendation was to use shot 1 or 2 sizes larger with steel, but that was when steel velocities were similar to lead velocities. I don't know if this still applies with 1550 fps loads in steel. Fassteel by Kent and Federal are common as well as Winchester. I normally use 2s and 4s for ducks and BBs and BBBs for geese. Since you have 3" capability, use it for geese.
Good luck
Gord

Tanya
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
We use #2 for ducks and usually BB for Canadas, occasionally BBBs if that is all we can get. Loaded up on #2s in Saskatchewan last year when we were out there deer hunting. They thought we were crazy buying duck loads in late Nov., till we told them how long we get to hunt ducks for :) They were way cheap out there at that time of year.

Marc
12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I started reloading for this reason, it was so expensive when steel shot came out if you wanted a good hitting load. I remember when the Remington Nitro Steel were over $40 a box.

The last duck shoot I was out with Ian on we managed two geese with #3 and #2 shot.

My typical load is a 3 inch shell with 1 1/4 ounce of steel shot traveling around 1475fps.

Big7
12-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I use 2 3/4" 1oz. #2 for everything out of my Beretta - seems to work just fine for ducks and geese.