PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting for Bears

Nails
03-29-2005, 08:22 PM
With the bear season opening in few days, who plans on hunting strictly with their bow this season. Do you have back up, with a shotgun/rifle or bear spray. Or is your partner your back up?

ex bc guide
03-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I plan on taking a island bear with my bow this year,hopefully my hunting partner will be my back up with my .340 sako 250 gr.
Mike

Kirby
03-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I will be doing it bow style, done it before, on several different bears. I will be backing myself most likely, planning on backing myself with my 870 express, with 3'' slugs. I personally don't like other people backing me up, means I will be twice as loud on the stalk.

Kirby

oldtimer
03-30-2005, 06:12 AM
I hunt strictly with my bow and my son chris ( willy ) will be my back up. It gives me a VERY safe feeling knowing he is there. Mike

houndogger
03-30-2005, 06:52 AM
I shoot all my bears with a bow and never felt a need for backup.

love the woods
03-30-2005, 08:14 AM
I am bowhunting for bear this weekend.I feel like a little kid on christmas eve.I cant sleep and have gone thru my gear every night.

QnsCowboy
03-30-2005, 10:06 AM
I better get out for spring bear this year!!!!!!!!!! I will only be hunitng with my bow, but as far as a backup, hopefully won't need one, but as long as I can run faster than Nails, I should be ok...:)

Craig

Kirby
03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
For back up, I use it more when I am approaching the downed bear.
The first bear I ever shot with the rifle was in this manner, I had seen a bruin feeding on an old mud slide, I made the stalk, got withing 25 yards the arrow hit the bear, he went down came up, and lunged, and ended up in a pile of young aspens, I was pretty sure the arrow was a double lunger. However, I wasn't planning on walking into this thing with nothing but my bow, so I waited my 20 minutes, and circled the aspens, I managed to get up on an old blow down log, and got a view of the bear, and he had turned around and was facing back up the way he came down, at this point for what ever reason(muscle twitch, rock rolling who knows) his front right leg shifted, and I nailed him in the head with the rifle. I walked in, he was dead from the first arrow, double lunger, and took out the offside sholder. However, I still like the feeling of a rifle/shotgun when dealing with a possible wounded bear in close quarters.

Kirby

Sikanni Stalker
03-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I am with hounddogger on this one. I have taken a spring bear each year with the bow and then one late in the year with rifle. I have never taken gun with me during bowhunts.
Maybe I should have, but I figure that I take care of the bush enough out there, cleaning campsites when I can, picking up bottles and cans that get left, even cleaned an ice hut up this year that had been destroyed on the ice at CHarlie Lake, that the bush will take care of me. Sounds naive, buts its the law of nature man.

willyqbc
03-30-2005, 07:53 PM
I hunt strictly with my bow and my son chris ( willy ) will be my back up. It gives me a VERY safe feeling knowing he is there.

Wish i could say the same!!:grin: I was in on a very aggressive blackie at 40 yards last year and my back-up (oldtimer) was 300 yds away with the rifle:shock:

.......says he had me covered the WHOLE TIME!!!:roll:

Was a good thing that bear decided up a tree was a better idea then running me down!! .....oh, hes a dead bear now by the way!:wink:

I will be packing the shotgun when out by myself this year

Chris

timberhunter
03-31-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=488&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Just got my backup all fixed up :).

houndogger
04-01-2005, 06:47 AM
That should work Timber!

Onesock
04-01-2005, 07:34 AM
I also am with houndogger. Have been uncomfortable twice but that was all. By the way the TBBC bear hunt weekend at the Conuma Valley will be on April 30/May 1st. Hope to see a good turnout. We will be camping at the Hatchery campsite again this year.
Kirk

houndogger
04-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Might have to miss it this year onesock. Exspecting a little one that weekend!:mrgreen:

greybark
04-01-2005, 10:41 PM
:grin: Hey Houndogger , I like the Win 12 g Defender as the safety sear releases on recoil allowing recock right away. With others you must remember to push the hand slide forward after shot to release the sear to allow cocking . Failure to do so may result is me getting your dogs LOL. Few of us owners practice with these short barrels . I have even tried trap with them. The main thing I have learned about them is the notion that they must be shot from the hip . That is a myth and with a firm grip they may be sighted and are much more accurate. Try them out it is well worth it.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertan ON --

greybark
04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
:oops: Whoops that last post is for Timberhunter. The drugs from my pumper surgery made me do it .:mrgreen:

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

leftcoast
04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Timberhunter, what is that thing? Is it legal? Who makes it?

graybark is that the same as you are talking about?

Man i want one but I bet they cost more than 60 bucks huh?

Wasn't there a bounty hunter on TV about 30 years ago who carried something like that?

I got a short spear in my quiver for longbow backup but I like the looks of that thing.

=keith=

3d bowman
04-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Very excitited about hunting this season!! Especially with the bow. Will be going out for spring bear untill I get one, and will be having someone with a boom stick for back up seeing how it is the first time hunting with a bow. After the bear tag is punched, I'll move on to the next unfortunate animal to fill my freezer!!

3d

houndogger
04-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Good luck on your first bear with a bow 3d. I can remember mine as it is nailed to the wall behind the computer.

greybark
04-03-2005, 02:55 PM
:wink: Hey Leftcoast , That is what I posted about but mine doesn`t have the folding stock. If you manage to find a used one the folding stock is a nice touch but not nessecary. I strongly believe in the Win Defender 12g on account of its safey sear as previously posted.

REMEMBER --Keep Your Fingertab On --

greybark
04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
:biggrin: True story in use of pistol grip 12g defender . A bowhunter friend of mine who for the purposes of remaining friends shall be not be named lives in Kitwanga (near Smithers). One hot summer evening while eating supper with his family of young kids and wife he had the back door open open for ventilation with a full length screen door still in place. Suddenly their laugher and chatter(young daughters) was interupted by the sound of footfall and claws on the hardwood hallway floor . They looked up and saw a large black bear who obviously thought he was invited to supper and fullly intened to participate. The screaming and hollering changed his mind and he spun around and raced for the door. He became a projectel with a full length screen door framing his shoulders and dissappeared into the brush behind the house. R-- thinking the bear could be a safety issue with his familly grabbed his 12g Defender with its pistol grip and slugs and found the bear 15 yds up a small hill. Bearing (parden the pun) in mind he had never fired this gun he raised the gun sighted and fired. He said the next thing he knew the lights went out he was lying on the ground had trouble seeing and hurt like hell. Seeing and hearing the bear thrashing around just yards from him , He staggered to his feet picked up and reloaded the gun in a pain filled fog raised the gun , sighted and fired agin. Again the lights went out, on the ground and really hurting like hell did`t know what was happening. When he staggered back to the house the family was terrified as their dad with his bloody face looked like the bear won that round. OK , bear dead, dad cleaned up and still hurting like hell began to put two and two together. Sighting upwards and firing with a pistolgripped 12g slug loaded shotgun , bent arms and a relaxed grip resulted in the gun slamming into his face. The fog induced rerun was terrible.
Thats why I practiced with mine .Thankfully Ron is able to still laugh agout the bear who came to dinner.:lol:

timberhunter
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
My shotgun is my duck hunting, grouse killing, and every other thing I can think of chasing with gun. This is my second mossberg 500. The barrel is a legal 18.5". The stock is a choate folding stock with pistol grip.

As for being able to cock and shoot quick. Well I can bounce empty coke cans pretty dam quick with it. I never have to think about my next shot because its already ready to go. Not trying to toot my horn here, but what the other guys say is true about getting used to the gun. I wore the other model 500 out http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif .

My hunting partner dan and I spent countless days/months, as teenagers/ preteenagers, and now adults. Shooting out scatter guns and other guns. I think if they ever do any mining around dans mom and dads place, they will think a war took place on the property. Theres lead every wherehttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Was shooting it today with SSG, and we came to the conclusion that if the occasion arises to use either of our guns on a bear charge. Well if he does make to us, he won't have any teeth left, and be in a world of hurt by that time he gets to us anyways. Always said I would end up being killed by a bear anywayshttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Use the guns lots and get used to em is all I can say, your life may just depend on it.

Marc

3kills
04-03-2005, 06:53 PM
greybark i know a guy in quesnal that had the samething happend to him....not the whole same thing just the first part about the bear comin to dinner through the back screen door...his rotty took off after the bear and wrestled with it for a bit and then he got out and shot it but he didnt get his lights knocked out...

puppychow
07-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Well Nails and Qnscowboy! None of us got out for a bear hunt this spring. Hope to join you boys out deer hunting this fall. Still have some bear in my freezer from the big one last year. I can not run fast, but if either one of you want a backup, my 7mm Rem mag with a 162 gr. will be glad to help. Looking forward to this fall. Puppy.