PDA

View Full Version : Eating Heart

Tikka7mm
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I've never tried heart but I notice there are a lot of people that do. What part do you eat and how do cook it....temp etc? Do you clean it out?What does it taste like? I really enjoy the liver with onions and bacon but heart is new to me.

Any ideas.

Caveman
12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I've only eaten it once, but I really enjoyed it. I can't stand liver, but the heart is quite flavorable. My uncle cooked it, just pan fried in steak like cross cuts about 1/2" thick. I don't recall anything special for seasoning but I'm sure you could add whatever you wish. I kept the heart of my bison this year to have my brother-in law to stuff for me. He's a trained chef, so he should put something fantastic together.

lip_ripper00
12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7804&highlight=mock+duck

have a look at this thread

brotherjack
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Tastes just like any other muscle (delicious!). Clean all the blood out of it, slice, dice, and pan fry. Lots of other good ways to do it, but that's how I've usually done it.

3kills
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM
take all the stuff out of the inside and stuff it and cook it like a roast...

frenchbar
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Its the best edible part of any animal. I.M.O.:smile: i usually just do the slice and dice and fry it up with some onions and bacon and lots of salt n pepper .good stuff!

Rock Doctor
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Heart makes exellent Jerky, it's a real treat. Prepare it as you would any jerky.

Tikka7mm
12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Good link, thanks lip_ripper00. I'm a little confused though? It sounds like there is a cavity that you have to cut out of the centre? I guess the only way to figure it out is to do it. It sounds really good though so next ungulate I take I'll definitley be taking the heart home for din din. Too bad I'm going to have to wait another 8 months to try it out.

Scobo
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
stirfry is my fav. and that way you can cut away the parts you don't want. i also too don't like liver but love heart. its kinda rubbery but not stringy.

3kills
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Good link, thanks lip_ripper00. I'm a little confused though? It sounds like there is a cavity that you have to cut out of the centre? I guess the only way to figure it out is to do it. It sounds really good though so next ungulate I take I'll definitley be taking the heart home for din din. Too bad I'm going to have to wait another 8 months to try it out.

u have to cut out the ventricles or whatever ever they are called its all the tubes and junk that the blood is pumped through..

puppychow
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Not too much. High in cholesterol.

115 or bust
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
My grandma always does our hearts up. Cleans it up then cuts slits in it to put little peices of garlic into it, then wraps the whole thing in bacon, and covers it with onion and bakes it in the oven. To die for!!

mark
12-03-2007, 08:18 PM
take all the stuff out of the inside and stuff it and cook it like a roast...

X2, use some bread, egg, bacon and seasonings! Its awesome, my favorite part of the animal!

Ubertuber
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Best part of the animal IMO. I slice it then trim some of the inside lining (you'll know what I mean when you cut it up).
I usually make a stir fry too...it's very good.

.308win
12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I slice it in ~1/4" slices, starting from the tip and work back until you get close to the "VALVEY BITS" Then I cook it in a covered frying pan with butter or oil, Onion, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low-Med heat for ~1.5hrs. Makes a yummy meal!!

Perry

77hunt
12-03-2007, 11:00 PM
i clean it out stuff it and roast it i have also cut into strips batter it in tempura and deep fry it, any way you cook it it's the best part of the animal imo

Farmer
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I love fresh deer heart. Cut in 1/4in slices, dipped in flour and pan fried with butter and salt and pepper. Mm mm good!

Tikka7mm
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I'll be cookin up some just as soon as I can...reading this is making me hungry.

Bow Walker
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Try Venison Heart this way for a treat...

Ingredients;
venison hearts - enough for 4 people
1 - 2 lemons - sliced thickly (rind and all)
1 medium onion - coarsely chopped
fresh sage leaves - torn in half
lemon pepper seasoning

Method;
Pre heat your oven to 300' Fahrenheit.
Trim excess fat, veins, and connective tissue from the heart(s) both inside and out. Cut the wall between the heart ventricles or chambers so as to make a reasonable stuffing pouch.

Sprinkle the cavity with lemon pepper seasoning. Stuff the inside of the heart with alternating layers of onion, sage leaf, and lemon slices. Sprinkle the outside of the heart with lemon pepper seasoning, rub gently into the meat.

Place heart(s) on a rack in a roasting pan and cover. **Bake until approx. two-thirds done. Remove cover and finish cooking. Remove from oven and place the meat on a warmed plate. Cover loosely with aluminium foil and allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.

To serve - slice the meat into half inch thick slices and serve with vegetables or side dishes of your choice. Uncork some Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, or the old standby - Cabernet. Enjoy responsibly.

**Cooking times vary according to the size of the heart(s). Generally speaking, for 4 average sized hearts cook for a total of approx. 90 - 100 minutes. Do not cook past Medium-well.

Tested and approved by Bow Walker. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)