PDA

View Full Version : peep trouble

love the woods
03-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey guys i need your help;
when i draw my bow back my peep is not lining up with my eye properly.some times the string holding the peep,one of the three lines up with my eye so when i look thru the peep i have to lean my head more to get a line of sight but by doing that my shot is off.when i dont lean my shot is perfect.What is the problem cause it is really pissing me off.

willyqbc
03-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Well honestly this is the reason I reccomend and use peeps that use peep rubber to align them. You do lose a little speed with the rubber but your peep is ALWAYS aligned. I've seen way too many guys at full draw trying to straigthen their peep with their nose to trust "rubberless" peeps....they are EXTREMELY high maintenance in most cases and when you bring in the temperature fluctuations of hunting situations which can cause the string to twist, they are no where near fool proof enough for me. As always this is just my opinion.

As to how to try and deal with your peep if you are stuck on rubberless, you can try and check to make sure you have the same number of string strands in each slot of your peep. Also make sure your string loop is locked down on your serving and perfectly in line with your peep so it will bring it square every time.

Chris

Bow Walker
03-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Your problem is most likely string stretch. What needs to happen is that the string has to be twisted a turn or maybe two to compensate for the stretching-in process that has happened. If you have a bow press this is not a problem. Otherwise it is proshop time.

Dirty
03-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Are you using a peep with the string split into three to hold it? If so I would check out a peep that only has two strands holding it, they are a lot easier to see through. Has anybody had problems with the rubber peeps breaking in cold temperature or rotting and snapping, I've heard rumors that they are very problematic.

willyqbc
03-27-2005, 08:15 AM
The rubber peeps can snap at times but in my experience it has always just been a bit at the end. You just stick it back on and away you go, worse case it will not leave you stranded with no peep rubber as it will still work just fine with a shorter chunk of rubber. I have had no issues with them in the cold and i have hunted in some pretty cold weather with them. The biggest reason i use the rubber is when that big buck is coming into range and i draw my bow back in any temperature, raining or snowing.....i KNOW my peep will be lined up......EVERY time!:D Again, its just my own personal bias but I have just seen way too many guys straigthening peeps with their nose at full draw, or having to let down repeatedly throughout the day to straighten a peep to trust them on my hunting set-up.

Chris

oldtimer
03-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Another thing to consider is almost everybody I know uses a peep rubber and packs a spare in there hunting pack. Takes less than a minute to put on. It was one of the first things Chris taught me pack a spare !!

love the woods
03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I used to use the rubber attched peep and when i was looking at the pse catologue i noticed that they had one.to be honest i didnt think they made them anymore.I think that is the way i am going to go.What about the vision thru them.Can you see thru them just as well.And i think i do need a new string.How far out will my sights be when i put a new string on?

Thunderstix
03-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Get a No-Peep my good man!

love the woods
03-29-2005, 09:54 AM
like what thunder kisser button?

willyqbc
03-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Theres lots of different varieties that still use peep rubber...."pick a peep" is a good choice as the peep hole size can be adjusted.

when you change your string and put in your new peep all you should have to do is adjust the whole box until your 20 yard pin is dead on and the rest will be fine(assuming they were fine before the change) :biggrin:

If your looking for decent prices on some good strings and cables let me know and i will direct you to some custom string makers who will save you a ton of money over say a "winners choice" string and cable set.

Chris

love the woods
03-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah chris send me those names.Any help would be great.

willyqbc
03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
First one you can enquire to is Shel Rosburg at Prostrings I have had several sets from him with all being top quality and VERY reasonably priced.....I think I paid around $75 to my door for a string and 2 cables for a cam 1/2. You can contact him at shel@prostring.com

Second one is the Archery Centre of Tuscon I got a string and cable set for a solocam from them for around $60 to my door if I remember correctly...appears to be top quality so far. Contact at acotuscon@qwest.net and ask for Rod. Tell him your friend Willyqbc from ArcheryTalk.com sent you and i believe there is a discount(not positive).

Those two above i have personal experience with and would recommend!

Others to look at that are highly reccomended by the internet archery community are
-Wolfden custom Bowstrings - supposed to be top notch at reasonable $$$$
-Vapour Trail .....BIG $$$$$$$$$$....but a very fast no stretch string

If you need any more help with anything like material selection etc, just give a holler!

Chris

PS in a couple weeks when my string making jig is built I could just make you a set myself!!:p

Nails
03-30-2005, 11:03 PM
I have tried using a peep without rubber tubing. I realized I was not really gaining any thing by using a non-ruber peep other then fustration with my peep being out of alinement as you have mention Love The Woods.
I change my rubber tubing at least twice a year, before hunting season and prior to the 3D season. This generaly solves my problem for tubing breaking. Any way Puppychow has purchased a roll of tubing to keep us supplied for a long time eh Ivan.

Eagle1
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm new here so this is proable old news.First off the tri peeps work if you can get them lined up, the rubber tubing always breaks and it could be the side tyied to the bow> where are you looking at full draw, right at the end that could hit you right in the eye,:eek: I also have in stock a new silicon tubing that seems to last a long time,doesn't break down like rubber tubing, but personally I haven't use tubing for years and all the strings I've built {once a few arrows are shot out of a new string}, set the peep and it doesn't move, I only change my string once every 2 years or so { just because} or I get tired of the color, my peep don't move.With the tubing you can lose up to 10 fps depending on the bow, nails I showed you that with my chrono on your bow.
PM me for a price on a string I know I can beat their price!!:tongue:

Browning_10
04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
when was the last time u got a new string?.... or have u re-twisted the one on your bow at all?...... that could be the problem. but i would say get the rubber peep its not like u will ever notice losing the speed