PDA

View Full Version : Season's end

Bow Walker
12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Next weekend ends the hunting season down in this neck of the woods. Time to inspect the equipment and do any necessary tuning/repair work that has been put on the back burner before you put your hunting rig away.

Let's see some thoughts and/or tips about "end-of-season-putting-to-bed" of your hunting bow.

I'll start with the obvious;

Closely inspect the bow for wear and tear on the strings or cables. Either re-serve or replace as necessary.

Anybody else have a tip or two to share?

ianwuzhere
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
#1- wipe tears away with the kleenex that has the lotion in it- helps bigtime../)
#2- baileys to forget that the seasons gone??

mikek blacktail
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
#1- wipe tears away with the kleenex that has the lotion in it- helps bigtime../)
love it (lol)

Bowzone_Mikey
12-02-2007, 11:13 AM
if you store your bow ... back the limbs off ..to releive some of the stress
wax the heck outta yer string and cable harness ...(or replace)
try to hang your bow rather than leave it in the case

keep its living quarters comfortable ie; not extreme cold/heat or moisture ... a rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable ...so is your bow

This year i am gonna 3D with my hunting bow and turn my 3D bow into a paper puncher ....Or sell it .and buy another ..not sure witch yet

J_T
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Season ending procedure.

Hang the bow up and check out the new scratches and with warm thoughts consider the memories that made them.:grin:

Don't destring it, don't take the arrows out. Nothing. Just hang it up.

Pick it up in the spring, change the colour of the camo and go again.

PS, Whitetailin is just startin here. Was out today in 6" of fresh white. Tree stands are set up, got the wall tent set up and ready for the next 20 days.

Bow Walker
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Heheheh.....good one - although I might substitute something else for the Baileys.

Bowzone_Mikey....keep its living quarters comfortable ie; not extreme cold/heat or moisture ... a rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable ...so is your bow

Very good point Mikey - I'm going out to get my two outta the Archery/work shop right now. Couple of rubberized hooks in the basement should do the trick.

I'm going to bring in my glues and oils as well - don't want them out there in the freezing weather.

Any other thoughts?

Wildfoot
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
my plans are to restring my bow and use the off-season to get the stretch out of the string & cables and retune.

Also its a great time to practice, practice, practice. No sense in leaving your bow on a shelf all winter!

Bow Walker
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
No indeedy! 3D season is set to both wind down - with the Nanaimo Turkey Shoot - and get back into high gear just after NYrs.

Looking forward to it.

Bow Walker
12-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Anybody spend time going over their babys and tightening nuts, screws, and/or bolts? Hunting and 3D rigs will definitely benefit from this type of close inspection.

Vibration is a bugger for loosening otherwise tight connections.

Crossbows as well...

interceptor
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
G'day lads,

Over here we hunt all year so no real need to pack the gear away, plus I use my hunting rig for all my shooting all I change is the field points for broadheads.

On the subject of loose bolts etc, when I set up my rig I use a small drop of nail polish on all bolts etc, works just like locktite but not so tough.

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM
G'day lads,......On the subject of loose bolts etc, when I set up my rig I use a small drop of nail polish on all bolts etc, works just like locktite but not so tough.

Cheers Noel

:shock: But it does make for a fairly girlie looking bow doesn't Noel? :tongue: :smile:

mooseless
12-07-2007, 12:33 AM
I would be embarassed to go into the local drugstore to buy pink nail polish!

mpotzold
12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
I would be embarassed to go into the local drugstore to buy pink nail polish!
Why? Just tell them that it's for your boyfriend!

Bowzone_Mikey
12-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Now you know the exact reason i got married ;) ...try going into shoppers and get clear nail polish (to seal sightapes and keep them weather proof)

interceptor
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I prefer a nice deep red myself.

One another note, How do your bows handle the winter - being shot outdoors in the snow etc. I read once that some bows dont like it and they may crack in the limbs etc from the sub zero temps?

Just curious.

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker
12-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Down here in Southern BC (South tip of Vanc. Is.) the temps rarely get to be sub-zero for very long. It's mostly cold, damp, and wet. It's a matter of wiping down, drying off, and a bit of oil/waterproofing where necessary.

greybark
12-09-2007, 06:17 PM
:smile: Hey Intercepter and Bow Walker , Just a bit of wax on the bowstring . Heh , Heh , Heh . Gee I hope CORNER GAS is on to-night !!!!!

Bowzone_Mikey
12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I prefer a nice deep red myself.

One another note, How do your bows handle the winter - being shot outdoors in the snow etc. I read once that some bows dont like it and they may crack in the limbs etc from the sub zero temps?

Just curious.

Cheers Noel

I have been in Prince George now for 2 winters with my Bows...before I was in south Alberta, the winters are very similar except no Chinook winds in Central BC.

I havent expirianced any problems with shooting in the winter and the cold exept maybe at -20 degrees my 70 pound bow feels like about 90 pounds and it shoots a bit high ;)

when bringing indoors after wards tho ... as you can imagine condensate will gather on all surfaces ... So first ...before you go outside make certain your string and cable harness is well maintained and waxed up , if your bow has unsealed bearings etc be sure they are oiled up as to repell water build up ...., Before you case your bow warm it up to room temp and if needed wipe it down with a terry cloth or something to get all the moisture off. Another thing I do is use a moisture absorbant in my cases, Hockey puck sized cannisters that can be bought at any RV store.... dunno if it helps but it certainly isnt hurting anything

mgnm300
12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
if you store your bow ... back the limbs off ..to releive some of the stress
wax the heck outta yer string and cable harness ...(or replace)
try to hang your bow rather than leave it in the case

keep its living quarters comfortable ie; not extreme cold/heat or moisture ... a rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable ...so is your bow

This year i am gonna 3D with my hunting bow and turn my 3D bow into a paper puncher ....Or sell it .and buy another ..not sure witch yet

i bought a new mathews adreneline bow before bow season started this year and have managed to get a 2 point muley and a whitey doe,
now i'm curious to know if it's really necessary to back off the string and if i'm only at 63 lbs ,,how am i gonna know where to put it back to where it was before without having to resight it in.
the reason i'm asking is that it takes me a long time to resight my bow ,,it's because i use a scope with a varied lit red dot,(no not magnified), on my bow

Bow Walker
12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Use a bit of white-out or white nail polish and put a mark on the limb bolt as to where your sweet spot is. Then back off something like 1 1/2 to 2 turns. Tape a little note to yourself (on the limb) telling yourself how many turns to put it back to your sweet spot.

J_T
12-15-2007, 06:16 PM
While I don't do much of anything to my bow, I certainly spend the three months of winter on my hunting equipment.

Modifications to the stove, the wall tent, building new enhancements and considering new purchases.

Bow Walker
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, this is it. End of play time. Now we gotta get through the "Silly Season" and then we can settle down to some serious Target shooting while we wait for next August.

Don't forget to post up your loot from Christmas...

Bow Walker
12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Apparently the season stretches on...

Texada offers the bowhunter an extended opportunity to ply his/her expertise until Jan. 15/08. Good luck to the participants. And Ron, don't forget to take a camera - and then don't forget to use it!

J_T
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Dan,

Region 4 MU 6 provides an either sex bowhunting whitetail opportunity to December 31st.

Bow Walker
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the update/info JayTee.

115 or bust
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Rifle seasons open in the Carlottes until Feb 28th

Bow Walker
12-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, the Charlotte's are almost always open.:roll:

I was referring to archery equipment and bowhunting:wink: