PDA

View Full Version : high powered long range bolt action

McRackin
11-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty new with firearms in general I just took the NonRestricted and Restricted safety courses and I've been looking around for my first rifle that I want to buy for when I get my license in a couple months. I'm just wondering if anyone here could help me out and recommond some strong power bolt action rifles that have good long range accuracy.

Derek_Erickson
11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Get a .22 first, then start wasting money

brotherjack
11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Ditto on the 22LR comment. Get one, and about 2,000 rounds of ammo, and shoot all of it. Rinse, lather, repeat on a weekly basis for a couple of months. :)

For a "first big rifle", it's hard to beat a Savage. They ain't pretty, but by and large they are the most accurate "off-the-shelf" rifle available at any price. They're also pretty affordable.

Caliber - I would recommend one of the "standard" (308, 30-06, 270, or maybe if you insist on a magnum, a 7mag). Any of the above will work just fine for anything you plan to shoot with it.

308 Winchester is my personal favourite - I like the short stubby cases, I like short action rifles, and I am a cheapskate and 308 Winchester ammo is the cheapest 'big gun' caliber there is. Appropriately loaded, a 308 Winchester is capable of smacking deer size stuff at ranges well beyond what you should ever consider shooting at one, and moose/elk size stuff out to 300-ish yards (which is probably also still beyond what you should consider shooting at a critter - unless you've got a really good rest and a lot of practice under your belt). But that's just my reasoning for my favorite caliber - any of the aforementioned calibers would be a great choice.

RMG
11-30-2007, 02:48 AM
What brotherjack said, I repeat, with the exception of the 30-06 never ever will one of them be in my cabinet, if one does, I am sure the others there will mutiny or worst start a revolution.

Scobo
11-30-2007, 09:23 AM
you have lots of time for research so go to chuckhawks.com. great info there in regards to caliber selection and rifle selection based on what you want to the gun to do which shoudl be the 1st question you need to ask yourself.
or what these guys said. this site for picking up a used gun or canadiangunnutz.com is great too. with gunnutz you will have to request for the exchange portion and wait a week or two.

rishu_pepper
11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
It's no coincidence; I did pretty much exactly what brotherjack described. Half a year ago I was first exposed to shooting, then bought my first gun, the .22, and slowly moved on to my second gun (bought on CGN), a Savage .308. Six months have passed, and while I'm no sniper, I'm pretty comfortable with shooting at a decent/ethical range (~200 yards). A strong recoil from a "high powered" rifle could cause one to develop a flinch, especially beginners, and it'd be hard to "un-learn" it.

Trust these guys, they know what they're talking about! :biggrin:

todbartell
11-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Remington, Browning, Savage, Tikka - all make heavy barrel magnum rifles that are ideal for long range shooting

22's are boring, buy a 223 as your first gun

jjensen20
11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
What brotherjack said, I repeat, with the exception of the 30-06 never ever will one of them be in my cabinet, if one does, I am sure the others there will mutiny or worst start a revolution.

Way to hit the nail on the head!!!! Its 2007 why are people still using guns from WWI?

brian
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I say get an idea of what you want then head down to a gun store and get a hold of the rifles and see which ones feel the best to you and fit your frame. Ask lots of questions and take the answers with a grain of salt.

.22 is a great rifle to have around, cheap as dirt ammo and lots of target practice!

Mr. Dean
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Way to hit the nail on the head!!!! Its 2007 why are people still using guns from WWI?

30-06 is an extremely versitle round. It can be loaded 'down' to 308 levels and gives up little to a 300 Winmag balisticly, when hand-loaded. It's a tried and proven round that's been around since 1906.... Because it works. I seriously doubt that it'll be taken off the shelves anytime soon.

With that said, I don't own one but would suggest it to a fellow buying their 1st hunting rifle... Unless he/she wanted to go out and strictly hunt Bison and Grizzly Bears over all else.

Mr. Dean
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
.22 is a great rifle to have around, cheap as dirt ammo and lots of target practice!

Ditto - Everyone should have one. They're GREAT for keeping the eye in shape.

Steeleco
11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
The critters that have graced my plate were no less dead with my .06 than any other boom stick. Sure it's an old "boring" round but reloading changes all that.

As far as the question, start small, and work up. Like has been said, once you have a flinch, it's hard to get rid of.

Big7
11-30-2007, 02:07 PM

I think that's pretty obvious isn't it? There has probably been more animals harvested (2 and 4 legged) with a 30'06 in the last 100yrs than any other calibre!

Steeleco
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
So as guilty as I am also, lets get this thread back to where it started. And not a pro/con 30.06 rant!

115 or bust
11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
My .02
Is you for a first high powered rifle its pretty hard to go wrong with the .270 its one of the flattest shooting rifles out there, has a wide variety of loads available over the counter, you can shoot anything in North America with it, has minimal recoil. I just got my buddy set up with his first rifle the ruger hawkeye .270 and its just sexy, I have the old one and its about 18 years old now and is as good as the day it came out of the box. Get a .270 for your first gun you might find you never need a second.

frenchbar
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
My .02
Is you for a first high powered rifle its pretty hard to go wrong with the .270 its one of the flattest shooting rifles out there, has a wide variety of loads available over the counter, you can shoot anything in North America with it, has minimal recoil. I just got my buddy set up with his first rifle the ruger hawkeye .270 and its just sexy, I have the old one and its about 18 years old now and is as good as the day it came out of the box. Get a .270 for your first gun you might find you never need a second... I agree the 270 is all you will ever need.

Tikka7mm
11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a 7mm rem mag but the next gun I get will be a 270. I know a number of guys that shoot this calibre and it's a great all around gun and it'll take down almost anything. I love my 7mm rem mag but I sure like the 270 as well.

mikek blacktail
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I like my 308 but these guys' are right a 270 is all you'll ever need

Wildman
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM
If I didn't have a rifle I would buy the 7mm rem mag. I have a 270 and a 7x57. I love them both. I want a .338 now or maybe a 45/70. It depends what your going to do with it I guess. You say long range...how long. Here on the north island I could easily shoot a 30/30 and get by just fine. Most of my animals have been shot under 100 yards. I also hunt the timber lots. There have been times where I spot a buck across a valley, 6-700 yards away. That's long range, but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that shot with even a 338 lapua mag. I won't take a shot that is over 300 yards for that matter, nor should you (in my opinion), specially if you are new to rifles. A .22LR is a great way to learn, ammo is inexpensive, so is the rifle. Oh by the way..I haven't come across anything that my .270 couldn't handle; moose, deer, black bear no problem. I wouldn't try for a bison or grizz with it though.

Untouchable
11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Id say 7 mm rem for the best all around long distance cartridge, most factory offerings come in 26" barrels which really help stabilize the bullet for those longer range shots. That cartridge in the proper rifle could do anything you ever needed it to, and this is coming from a guy with a .........270 wsm..... But like everyone has already said start with a .22 .

Tikka7mm
11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
[quote=Wildman;213193]If I didn't have a rifle I would buy the 7mm rem mag.

Good point Wildman. I bought my 7mm rem mag as a first gun for it's versatility. I was in the same position not too long ago. I didn't have a clue about what kind of gun to get. I did my research and asked around and the common response was that 7mm rem mag is great all around gun.