PDA

View Full Version : remington 750 as a first rifle?

McRackin
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Remington 750 Woodsmaster as my first rifle and probably buy a decent scope to match... just wondering if this would be a good rifle to settle in with because itll be a decent investment (~$1300)

Gateholio
11-28-2007, 12:35 AM
You might want to look at a good bolt action rather than the Remington Klingon Forehead...

todbartell
11-28-2007, 12:37 AM
any reason for going with a semi automatic?

240gord
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
A semi is not a good first rifle.Get a bolt gun that fits you.
Gord.
________
marijuana dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

Will
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
because itll be a decent investment (~$1300)
Actually they are a dismal investment........very hard to resell down the road when you realize only Rambo hunts with a Semi auto:mrgreen:

Seriously though they don't demand big resell dollars.
A good 700 Remmie Bolt gun however will hold some value:wink:

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Buy a Tikka T3 lite,and dont worry about resale because you will never want to sell it.:wink:

McRackin
11-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Well I'll be honest.. I really like the idea of having multiple shell casings fly out of the action as I pull the trigger each time =D Its probably because I've never shot a semiauto with any power before. And really, its going to be a target rifle. I'm not going to be unloading a bunch of rounds like rambo into a deer.

I've been reading a lot of reviews in mags and websites that always compare the semiautos to bolt action rifles because bolt action rifles cannot be beaten for accuracy and durability...

I've got a few months to decide exactly what I want because I'm still waiting for my forms to be processed.

I think the gun is sexy...it stood out among the rest to me. Are there any high power/high accuracy bolt action rifles out there that share the similar look to the Rem750wood? I'm looking to spend $1000-$1500 with scope.

todbartell
11-29-2007, 12:23 AM
if you like it, by all means buy it. dont let anyone else try to tell you what you should like

mikek blacktail
11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Well I'll be honest.. I really like the idea of having multiple shell casings fly out of the action as I pull the trigger each time =D Its probably because I've never shot a semiauto with any power before. And really, its going to be a target rifle. I'm not going to be unloading a bunch of rounds like rambo into a deer.

I've been reading a lot of reviews in mags and websites that always compare the semiautos to bolt action rifles because bolt action rifles cannot be beaten for accuracy and durability...

I've got a few months to decide exactly what I want because I'm still waiting for my forms to be processed.

I think the gun is sexy...it stood out among the rest to me. Are there any high power/high accuracy bolt action rifles out there that share the similar look to the Rem750wood? I'm looking to spend $1000-$1500 with scope.
I would go with the 700 but in the end buy the gun that turns you on.)

r106
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
don't forget semi-autos are hungry things they like to eat up shells, could get expensive!!! I preffer bolt actions because I can,t get the next round off as quick.. saves me money
________
T350 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_T350)

Phil
11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I think the gun is sexy...

If you want a sexy gun you'd better get a lever action. :D

puppychow
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I would recommend that you think about a bolt action for your first gun. I have shot both and prefer the bolt action. I think there are less people in the market for a semi-auto, the resale value will be less. But like Tod Bartell stated, buy what turns you on. Have fun choosing a gun. I would think that the caliber is more important.

McRackin
11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Can you guys recommend some high powered bolt action guns that I can use for long range target shooting?

mattsplat96
11-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Remington 750 Woodsmaster as my first rifle and probably buy a decent scope to match... just wondering if this would be a good rifle to settle in with because itll be a decent investment (~$1300)

i wouldnt get one my friend has one in .308 it really blows jams every 5 shots spend the extra few hundy and get a browning semi auto if you want a semi auto if not buy a tikka t3 rem 700 wincehster 70 or a ruger m77 cant go wrong with any of them and get a leupold vxi or vxii scope or even a nikon prostaff in 3-9x40 ( only 120$) at bass pro canada and there an amazing scope

knighthunter
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
You realize this topic is almost 3 years old, don't you?

moosinaround
11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
If you want a "sexy" semi auto don't get a remington, buy a browning BAR in synthetic! Chamber it in 308cal and go to town at the range! Hell go shoot deer too!! Moosin

The Dawg
11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
If you want a "sexy" semi auto don't get a remington, buy a browning BAR in synthetic! Chamber it in 308cal and go to town at the range! Hell go shoot deer too!! Moosin

Ya, Id forgot about that one. Thanks for bringing it up. :icon_frow

:-D

Surrey Boy
11-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Could I plead ignorance for using a 2008 synopsis? I have one on the shelf.

pricedo
07-17-2011, 06:20 PM

So what?

I've seen mods close active threads because they were too old & I could never understand why.:confused:

This topic will never be old as long as they are still making Remington Model 750's which they are.

I've owned a 742, a 7400 & have never had a problem with functionality or jams. Of course I clean my guns semi or not thoroughly & often.

I've had a couple of people bring autoloaders to me that had feeding problems and the 2 main causes were: 1) accumulated grit & dirt & over lubrication, 2) bent & deformed magazines.

eaglesnester
07-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I would stay away from anything, Remington, at the present time and I would particularly stay away from the 750 as Remington is having huge QC problems with that rifle and others in their lineup. I would bite the bullet and for the price difference I would get a Sako, or a CZ, Ruger etc.anything but a Remington. Granted at one time they made the most accurate out of the box production rifle money could buy but not any more, the only way I would buy a new Remington is if I could hold it in my hads and inspect it as well as cycle the action with dummy ammunition to check feed, extraction, ejection and the safety of the safety as well as the operation of the trigger to ensure that it will not fire untill I pull it. I would also be looking at fit and finish of the rifle, if it could not pass a fit and finish inspection I would immediatly reject it.

Surrey Boy
07-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I just had my 750 out yesterday, it hasn't jammed yet and shoots as well for me as anything else with open sights. The one issue I have is that inserting the magazine is tricky and I rarely do it right on the first try. It also seems to foul quickly as I can see the copper on the lands at the muzzle after only twenty rounds. That said, it still groups well so maybe it's not as much of an issue as I think.

I also chose this Remington because of the high quality fit and finish and when I bought it the magazine slipped in smoothly.

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Dont know anything about the 750 but my first heavy rifle when I was 9 or 10 was(still have and use it) a Remington 740 semi in 308( I actually wanted a 30-06 but it was not in stock and being a kid didn't have the patience to wait while they ordered it) I found it great took my first moose and elk with it as well as my firs big black bear. Nothing bad to say about it.

new hunter
07-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Do not buy a fast action for hunting unless you are confined to thick bush only . If you want a semi just for fast shooting , buy an sks or the likes and realise it is only a fun gun not a hunting rifle . If you are buying a hunting rifle buy the most accurate , long range rifle possible {within reason } . Obvously someting like a 338 lapua is over kill at 100 yrds , but an accurrate .270 or 06 would do you fine . you are better off shooting close with an accurate rifle than you are shooting far with an innaccurate one .
I don't mean to sound harsh , but I made this exacy mistake and it has taken a couple years to correct it . I would advise you to buy the best , most accurate rifle possible today , and if you find the need or a good reason , buy the semi tommorow.
Good lucl , happy shooting.

Barracuda
07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
purchase the rifle that you like .
The Klingon is more then accurate enough for hunting and if you care for properly they are just like any other push feed,
in fact it will out shoot most mall ninjas by a mile.

If your a bad shot with a bolt, single, lever etc it will be no different with a semi auto center or rimfire.

Poor shooting form and practices are person specific not rifle action specific. (within the limitation of the firearm of course)

CanuckShooter
07-18-2011, 07:01 PM
if you like it, by all means buy it. dont let anyone else try to tell you what you should like

X2..although the point about resale value is good information!! Wait for a good sale, or buy used....and resale value won't mean as much.

Singleshotneeded
07-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Get an SKS to play GI Joe with, they're a fun toy, I have one. My bolt action hunting rifles shoot MOA or better...

Surrey Boy
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Get an SKS to play GI Joe with, they're a fun toy, I have one. My bolt action hunting rifles shoot MOA or better...

For left-shooting men like myself, an autoloader is often a more viable choice than trying to find a left side bolt with the caliber, stock and sights desired. Recoil reduction is also appreciable in semi-autos, as well as quick feeding, reduced muzzle jump. It's all about a more efficient kill.

Nobody plays GI Joe with a four round magazine and no bayonet.

Foxton Gundogs
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
From what I've read here about the 750 what about looking for a good used 740, or 742? Probably a much better bang for your buck.

Singleshotneeded
07-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey Surrey, I was recommending the SKS to play GI Joe with, and recommending a bolt action to the young fella.
They're simpler, less prone to problems if they get dirty, and easy to strip, clean, and oil in field conditions. As
you pointed out, the semi-auto has some pluses as well, like a faster follow-up shot and reduced recoil, and easier
for a lefty than finding the ideal left bolt action. I just prefer the simple, easy to clean, reliable, and accurate bolt action.
I also think a bolt action is better for a newbie's first rifle. Nothing wrong with a well maintained semi-auto in the hands
of an experienced hunter, though...

Barracuda
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
the one thing that sets the Klingon apart is that you can get a 35whelan carbine .
The klingon will shoot moa like the 7400 rifles and they are reliable (better then the 740 or 742). the downfall is that they feel heavy and a bit bulky.

i wish Rem had kept the whelan in the 7600

pricedo
08-03-2011, 04:15 AM
I would stay away from anything, Remington, at the present time and I would particularly stay away from the 750 as Remington is having huge QC problems with that rifle and others in their lineup. I would bite the bullet and for the price difference I would get a Sako, or a CZ, Ruger etc.anything but a Remington. Granted at one time they made the most accurate out of the box production rifle money could buy but not any more, the only way I would buy a new Remington is if I could hold it in my hads and inspect it as well as cycle the action with dummy ammunition to check feed, extraction, ejection and the safety of the safety as well as the operation of the trigger to ensure that it will not fire untill I pull it. I would also be looking at fit and finish of the rifle, if it could not pass a fit and finish inspection I would immediatly reject it.

The big thing eating at the Remington bottom line is the same thing that was eating at Winchesters bottom line in 1963 .......PRODUCTION COSTS of which quality control is a big component.

Remington actually had their own "1964" a few years ago but didn't announce it.

Lots of junk & gimmick guns coming out of Big Greens factories now.

Savage replaced Remington as my "go to" brand a long time ago.

lovemywinchester
08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
My buddy has a 338 semi browning and its a tank! HEAVY! And $5 a shot or something like that for the store bought ammo. If you are planning on doing any hiking do yourself a favour and get a lighter rifle.

Foxton Gundogs
08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
the one thing that sets the Klingon apart is that you can get a 35whelan carbine .
The klingon will shoot moa like the 7400 rifles and they are reliable (better then the 740 or 742). the downfall is that they feel heavy and a bit bulky.

i wish Rem had kept the whelan in the 7600

Don't know about more reliable than a 740 If 52 years without a malfunction isn't reliable not sure what would be.

Barracuda
08-03-2011, 06:12 PM
both good firearms but remington upgraded the lugs, the breech design improvements and a couple of other things off the top of my head designed for higher pressure and better tolerances.
The Klingon is the next stage of refinements http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar197.htm

Foxton Gundogs
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
both good firearms but remington upgraded the lugs, the breech design improvements and a couple of other things off the top of my head designed for higher pressure and better tolerances.
The Klingon is the next stage of refinements http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar197.htm

I wouldn't trade my 740 I but love the idea of the 35.

Surrey Boy
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Why is it called the "Klingon"?

RBH
08-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Don't know about more reliable than a 740 If 52 years without a malfunction isn't reliable not sure what would be.

Reliable is 53 years where I come from.

Grousedaddy
09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
So what did this kid end up buyin i assume nobody will know hahahah

Yusuf
11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
so.... why is it called the klingon