PDA

View Full Version : Where the Geese Go

chriswharton69
11-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I go to work every morning at 5 in the morning. Where I work in W.L. is situated right beside the bird sanctuary in town, and every morning (these days) there are two to three hundred geese getting up off these ponds and ALWAYS heading straight for one direction. My question is: do geese always head directly to there feed spot during the day or am I wasting my time on google earth trying to find the straight to their feed spot or do they fly in akward diections? Only one month left for me to get one of these suckers for christmas dinner, so looking for any insight someone can offer.

Crazy_Farmer
11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Best advice to offer, is follow them on the weekends, drive around long enough in the direction they were heading and you'll find them. They do normally fly straight to their feeding grounds but not always, they may go look at another field and decide not to land there and head to another field instead. Also most of the time geese tend to fly in two flights, morning and afternoon, sometimes if the field has lots of food they wont leave till late and just stay back at the roost, other days they'll hit the fields at around 7:00 or 8:00 leave around 10:00 and be back at around 2:00 or 3:00 and then leave again by 5:00 or 6:00. All depends on a lot of things. Best thing to do though is put some miles on the vehicle and go check it out, they may even be feeding in a no shoot zone so you'd have to run traffic in a spot where they are flying to and from the roost.

mattchu_19
11-28-2007, 08:00 PM
90% of goose hunting is scouting and finding the geese. The best thing to do would take a day and find exactly where and when the geese go. If you can do that, you can hunt right on the X and nothings better than that. Me and my bro(crazy_farmer) have spent many hours driving and watching geese in our area and it does pay off.