PDA

View Full Version : breasting in the field

rudar
11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Been out to the Brunswick foreshore a few times now (yesterday's total was a teal for me and a widgeon for matty), and there seem to be a lot of snowgoose carcasses left out there. Which does seem like a nobler end for the bits we don't eat than trucking them to the landfill... But from my reading of the regulations, breasting the birds out in the field wouldn't be kosher, as you're supposed to leave a feathered wing attached. Am I reading them wrong, or are there a lot of folks out there just kinda ignoring that part of the regs?

Marc
11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
You're right, some guys get a little lazy and sooner or later it's going to bight them in the ass when a CO is waiting at their vehicles for them.

Ian F.
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
You can breast and leave a wing attached, it's messy, but keeps you legal. The only place you can remove the wing is at your normal place of residence, or place of consumption.

Myself, anytime I see carcasses in the marsh I draw only one conclusion..

You are reading the regs fine,

Ian

MichelD
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
And the COs like to park there at the gate too.

rudar
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Cool, that's what I thought. I'll admit carcasses left in the marsh looks ugly, but on the other hand leaving that food in the ecosystem to feed the raptors and 'yotes would seem defensible, other than violating the regs...

Steeleco
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Not to mention the bad press is gives good hunters, when non hunters see the mess laying about.

Crazy_Farmer
11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
You hear this alot from the prairies, americans coming up and throwing all the breasted out birds in a ditch, sure all the other little scavengers will eat all thats left but farmers get fed up with the mess they leave.

MichelD
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Found something like that near Osoyoos. Big Canadas with lots of meat on them just breasted and left to rot.

Ian F.
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/birdcleaning.php

take a look at this, haven't tried it myself, but thought someone may find it interesting.

Ian