PDA

View Full Version : Green Lipped Muscle--suppliment

Islandali
11-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Sorry to post this twice but I thought some might miss it because I posted in in the dog food thread.

Hi all,

For those of you that have aging dogs with joint stiffness and pain there is a suppliment called Green Lipped Muscle that is amazing! A friend had a lab that was 10+ years and was very stiff and sore...he had trouble getting up and down and couldn't do more than a few stairs at a time.
She put him on a vet food that had the green lipped muscle and she got another good 1 1/2 from him where he was doing stairs with no trouble and had good mobility.
I am sure with a little poking around the internet you could find the powdered form of it.
It would also be great for the body soreness in hunting dogs.
Here is a little blurb about it:
The green-lipped mussel is a shellfish from Australia and New Zealand. The mussel flesh is powderized and supplemented as a source of chondroitin and other glycosaminoglycans. The glycosaminoglycans maintain and rebuild connective tissue such as cartilage, tendons and ligaments as well as reduce inflammation, which results in reduced joint pain and stiffness, less inflammation, and quicker recovery from exercise and injury.
Just thought that I would share a little known product that seems to have big results...
Cheers,
Alisha :smile:

HighTideChessies
11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if the product you're talking about is Glycoflex (It contains similar ingredients). We've used it with great success and have many retriever friends who swear by it.

There are different formulations, Glycoflex 3 is great for senior dogs. Glycoflex 2 is good for adults. If you have a chance to order it online it's a fraction of what your vet might charge. Try www.entirelypets.com (http://www.entirelypets.com) We're not affiliated in any way :) they're just a good resource and prices are great!

Have seen many an old rescue dog get its legs back after just 3-4 weeks on the stuff.

Cheers,
Gayle

Islandali
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
It is IN Glyco-flex....which yes, it a great product...but the green lipped muscle alone should make a difference.
Glyco-flex is carried at a lot of vet clinics....it has replaced rescue remedy in a lot of clinics.
:smile: Alisha

rocksteady
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Have not researched it, wondering if you people with dogs would know --Is this stuff suitable for human consumption??????

Have an ongoing shoulder problem 2 years now, no relief no matter what I have done (cortisone/accupuncture/physio/anti-inflams/etc etc)

Sounds like it would be perfect for me----- "a stiff old dog":-P:-P

Maybe it would make me a better retriever too....

Iron-Head
11-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Rocksteady, A very close friend of mine has scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and has been living with chronic pain for many years. Just a year ago she tried a natural powder that was called Blue-Green Algae, It looks and smells like Cr@p but she has never been so happy for the relief it gave her. We had used it on our old dog Finn who had terrible arthritis, He had swollen joints the size of tennis balls and we gave him the same thing and within days, I kid you not his legs and back where back to normal. Its pretty amazing stuff, kinda pricey but its worth it. PM me if you would like more info.

Islandali
11-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Here is a link that explains more about it....and yes, it is good for humans:

http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/green_lipped_mussels/green_lipped_mussels.htm

I hope that helps!

Alisha :)

Islandali
11-28-2007, 09:00 AM
I think this is a UK company ....I just wanted you to have the info you were looking for.