PDA

View Full Version : Mid season survey - How's your season going?

Ian F.
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
We're within a week of the 1/2 way for ducks in most of the province so I thought it would be a good time to see how everyone's season is going so far

rishu_pepper
11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Good, hard to judge since I've only been out 3 times (successful on 2 of those 3), and it's my first season. I'm enjoying every bit of it though!

Ian F.
11-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Brian,

It's all about the journey, getting frustrated and P.O'd and then having those days when it all clicks! Dan and I had a day last year were we counted out in less then 1/2 and hour, looked at each other and just wondered what happened, then had breakfast! Those are rare days, if they were common I don't think they'd be as much fun.

Ian

todbartell
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
poor, I only made it out once, but did shoot a few ducks and a couple geese. Our season is prime from early September till Halloween. Its still open for another 10 days but not many birds left

Beaverhunter
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Not bad one Moose early in the season and one Mulie so far.

Big7
11-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Good so far - perfect record! - 0 and 0....havn't gone out, havn't shot a waterfowl yet and as Tod says..."not many birds left"

Maybe next year! Same 'ol same 'ol...seem to concentrate on 4 legged critters!

Mr. Dean
11-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Best season yet!

Loaded up on Grouse w/ the good ol'e CZ .22

Pretty soon it's squirrel time...

rishu_pepper
11-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Brian,

It's all about the journey, getting frustrated and P.O'd and then having those days when it all clicks! Dan and I had a day last year were we counted out in less then 1/2 and hour, looked at each other and just wondered what happened, then had breakfast! Those are rare days, if they were common I don't think they'd be as much fun.

Ian

Limiting out in half an hour just sounds incredible, but then again part of the fun is sitting and waiting, chatting it up with your fellow shooter(s). A bad day hunting still beats any day working :biggrin:

Dano
11-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Limiting out in half an hour just sounds incredible, but then again part of the fun is sitting and waiting, chatting it up with your fellow shooter(s). A bad day hunting still beats any day working :biggrin:

We did our chatting it up at the Pantry that morning!:-) Funny thing about that day was we had them coming in in waves and although Ian shot well with his 20ga SxS double (maybe 11-12 shots if I remember correctly), I probably fired a box of shells in half an hour! It happened so fast I only really remember breakfast. The flocks were coming in and my dog being in the water the whole time didn't allow me to really take it all in!
Last saturday we thought we would have our limit by 9:00 because we has a dozen by 8:30 and the flocks were coming in good. Things slowed down and we hunted to 11:00. Like you said, it was good to have a little extra time out there even though we go all the time (I hate packing up too).
My season has been going great, enjoyed my hunt with my Dad and his buddy (first time in over 5 years dad has made it out with me). Took a couple new hunters out on heritage days and should get a few more guys out in the coming weeks (one this weekend). Good to get my dog on pheasants too even if it is a preserve shoot.
The last half will be great too if we don't get too cold and freeze up. It screwed up last year a bit... at least for those of us who don't hunt the Delta foreshore.
Keep your barrels hot,
Dan

Grandbois
11-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Im having a phenomenal year, and its my first year really hunting, 24 grouse, 1 cow elk, and both my dad my mom and myself have gotten our muleys

Gunner
11-22-2007, 08:06 PM
It's been good,our slough is frozen now so we'll switch to the river.So far 63 mallards,none banded so far this year.Oh and a bull moose as well!Now I just need a late season mulie for sausage meat! Gunner

dave
11-23-2007, 09:26 PM
This season has been great so far. We spent the long weekend deer hunting and Matt got his first deer (pic on the mainland forum) and I picked up a nice four point. After that we decided to relax last weekend. Otherwise we have been out for ducks every weekend and having a great time.

Marc
11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Only been out one time so far this fall but that's going to change next year.

Had a great time shooting over the dekes with Ian , we managed to scratch 4 Harlequin, 2 white wing scoters, 4 surf scoters and a pair of Canada Geese in the span of 2 1/2- 3 hours. It definitely lite the flame that I needed to get me back on track.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/sea_ducks_with_Ian_F.JPG

Thunderstix
11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Were you hunting out of your kayak?

Marc
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Were you hunting out of your kayak?

Actually there was a guy camped out on the Island we hunted off of. We didn't realize he was there until we pretty much had the decoys set out. We went over and talked with him and he sat down with us and took some pictures of the day.