PDA

View Full Version : help buying first rifle please.

adamb701
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I am not sure on the brand of rifle i should buy.i know i want it in 308. and that i have a price limit of about 650$. i was looking at some savage packages
with there new trigger.I also was looking at a Remington SPS but they don't have my caliber.i think that i will get a Leupold's rifleman scope if i don't a package deal.I will be hunting moose and deer..please help!

elkdom
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
308win,a very good all around caliber, a very broad assortment of factory ammo , very reasonable prices and available almost any where you travel. If your thinking of a Savage bolt action, a good choice for the money and most savage riffles are very acurate, the 308 is a very effective round,with the right bullet it will take all species you wish to hunt in BC! practice and shooting confidence are what makes a marksman ,So far you have good sense, dont get bumped up to Magnun status untill your expert with a moderate recoil round such as 308 win,. good luck !

bc sportsman
11-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Adam, if your price limit is $650 with scope then look for a used rifle. You save the taxes and likely get it for a few hundred less than a store bought. The mistake I made when I bought my first rifle was to get the least expensive I could find. The end result was after a few years I upgraded to mid quality and then a few years later, upgraded to a high quality gun. Save yourself some trouble and long term costs and get the best bang for your buck.

Make certain your scope is of good quality. Gun can't shoot straight if the scope doesn't stand up. A 'quality' fixed 4x scope with fog/waterproofing lifetime warranties (Bushnell, Leopold) is adequate for that caliber. Spend more on the rifle by keeping with a fixed power scope.

The major manufacturers all make reasonable quality rifles. I prefer bolt actions to any other. I've owned pump and lever actions. I can work a bolt action very fast and still be very accurate. I am a fan of Sako, Browning, Tika.

Very important, make certain that the rifle feels good when shouldered and goes up fast. Don't make the mistake of trying the rifle on for size wearing your street clothes. Put on a thicker jacket (like what you will be wearing when hunting) and then see how the rifle feels.

The 308 is a good, versatile caliber. Use quality bullets (Barnes TSX or Nosler) and it will do the job for both moose and deer and potentially Mr. Grizz.

ruger#1
11-17-2007, 11:29 PM
now those two posts are good sound advise.

brotherjack
11-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Savage makes some of the most accurate rifles available today - irregardless of budget. Given your price range, I think a Savage is your best bet.

bc sportsman
11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot...Ruger is another good manufacture. Never owned one but friends have and love them.

I owned a Savage lever action. Nothing wrong with it. I used it more as a backup gun in case my primary rifle was damaged as it was a banged up gun when I got it.

ruger#1
11-17-2007, 11:36 PM
http://www.firearmscanada.com/gun_dealers.html this site will have all of the Canadian gun dealers, look for the ones in B.C. they have a good used stock of rifles.

Steeleco
11-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Something else to add to the sound advice given so far, is to get the Savage package and use if for now. Save you money for a little and budget for a new scope in the sumer next year. A little range time and you're good to go.

There are lots of good used packages for sale, both here and on Gunnutz, but we all NEED new toys once in awhile!!

BTW Welcome to the site.

Nailgunslinger
11-17-2007, 11:53 PM
I just bought a Weatherby stainless/synthetic vanguard combo a month ago in .308 was about 750 comes blued about 650 w/scope,scope could be better but does the job . No fog problems and good in dusk and dawn. I can take the head off a grouse from quite a distance away (lol you have to with a .308 anyway but i digress) It comes bore sighted but you can tweak it to what you want, its been through hell already , got seawater in it when my boat was almost sank and after a solid cleaning the next day it has no problems. I would get another for sure. Howa is the company that makes the vanguards they are based in Japan, you can usually pick up a Howa made gun for a lower cost, similar rifle though.

todbartell
11-18-2007, 12:04 AM
the packages have terrible scopes and mounts, so they're not really as good of value as they seem, when you consider that the optics are worth almost nothing.

I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS, which they chamber in 308 in their hinged floorplate models. Top it with the Rifleman and you'll be much happier with the setup, and still be out the door for a lil over a grand with taxes. Better yet would to top it with a VXI for the extra $40, it gives you a bit better optics and the LR duplex reticle

Nailgunslinger
11-18-2007, 07:24 AM
the packages have terrible scopes and mounts, so they're not really as good of value as they seem, when you consider that the optics are worth almost nothing.

I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS, which they chamber in 308 in their hinged floorplate models. Top it with the Rifleman and you'll be much happier with the setup, and still be out the door for a lil over a grand with taxes. Better yet would to top it with a VXI for the extra $40, it gives you a bit better optics and the LR duplex reticle

Nothing wrong with the scope, unless you plan on shooting something ridiculously long distance. The scope and mounts get the job done and are solid through the heaviest brush you can find. If you want to find a gun to kill something yo dont even need a scope I used open sights till I was 15 hunting with my dad. Expensive rifles and expensive scopes don't make the hunter, just makes it nicer to shoot. Depends on what kind of hunting you do though. If you like killing things from a hellava long way away then invest in a awesome scope when you can afford it. The gun is worth the 750 SS or 650 blued inmo without the package. Bieng said I think the scope works awesome for the value on the weatherby, also comes with a molded case, slling,sling swivel mounts and lock. Plus a factory shot target at 100 yards within 1 1/2 at 100 yards. Mine happens to be at .5. You don't need to spend a billion dollars to get set up for a first rifle, second hand is always an option though. You can get a good setup that way on the cheap. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

mikek blacktail
11-18-2007, 08:25 AM

Todd said exaclty what I was going to say I second this.I have a 308 and use it on everything I love it.

adamb701
11-18-2007, 11:47 AM
thanks alot everyone.I think that i will look into the Remington SPS or the vanguard.The savage could work out to.have any of you heard of wholesale sports?they seam to sell guns at a good price.

todbartell
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Nothing wrong with the scope, unless you plan on shooting something ridiculously long distance

distance has nothing to do with it really...try looking through one at dawn or dusk, when game is most active, or look through a cheap scope towards the sun as it rises or sets. Wait until the trophy of a lifetime is standing at last light in front of a bunch of spruce blowdown or is sneaking below you when the sun is rising in your face - then you'll be kicking yourself for trying to save a couple hundred bucks on a scope.

Also if your mounts are tougher and better made, your scope has a better chance of holding zero and shooting where you aim.

Who wants to have to second guess their equipment? I love hunting too much to go into the bush with stuff that will fail when I need it.

my .02$ take it or leave it

oldtimer
11-18-2007, 12:33 PM
If $650 is firm then I agree 100 % with BC Sportsman. You will not get a good quality rifle and scope for those dollars and as stated a poor quality scope will produce poor quality shots. Mike

1/2 slam
11-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I have a Parker Hale available in 308....PM me if interested.

adamb701
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
650 is just for the rifle.not the scope to

moose hunter
11-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Savage all the way i love it, hate remington actions.

adamb701
11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
i have never tried either.i haven't even shot a gun yet.passed my core and i am studying for the hunters test.what the difference between actions?

bc sportsman
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I do need to say that I have no personal interest in the following suggestion.

Check out our guns for sale section and read Winchester M70, .30-06, CRF, BOSS Black Shadow FS . I don't know the guy or his equipment and do bear in mind he is selling a 3006, not a 308. That makes it a slightly heavier gun, longer barrel.

Its $650, synthetic stock and includes a good quality scope for extra money. Sounds like a deal to consider if you are not set on a 308.

Nailgunslinger
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
distance has nothing to do with it really...try looking through one at dawn or dusk, when game is most active, or look through a cheap scope towards the sun as it rises or sets. Wait until the trophy of a lifetime is standing at last light in front of a bunch of spruce blowdown or is sneaking below you when the sun is rising in your face - then you'll be kicking yourself for trying to save a couple hundred bucks on a scope.

Also if your mounts are tougher and better made, your scope has a better chance of holding zero and shooting where you aim.

Who wants to have to second guess their equipment? I love hunting too much to go into the bush with stuff that will fail when I need it.

my .02$ take it or leave it

I have a bushnell dusk and dawn scope which I am sure you would consider cheap that came on the weatherby and have hunted in the harshest bc landscape that this province has to offer. My guns all have been through hell. I have had no problems, nor have I with any other scopes or mounts that I have used in the past. If your gun has issues in the field, its your own fault for not maintaining it and testing it out before you hunt. If you are looking for a gun that will get you started you cannot beat the package for brand new. I have old guns with old scopes that have killed many moose, elk and deer. If your not some elitest trophy hunter or connoisseur of rifles,scopes mounts and the like, a gun that kills is all you need.

Get to know it and how it shoots in the bush. Make sure it works the way you want it to. If you havn't shot any guns period , Jebus, don't take any of our words for it go try a bunch of your buddies , make some friends at the gun range and test some out, maybe you won't want a .308 and will choose something else. Although a .308 is my fave calibur next to a 30/06:smile:

brian
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
thanks alot everyone.I think that i will look into the Remington SPS or the vanguard.The savage could work out to.have any of you heard of wholesale sports?they seam to sell guns at a good price

I've bought a couple of rifles from Wholesale Sports. They can be a hundred bucks or so cheaper than the local shops and you save on provincial sales taxes. I'm all for supporting local shops, but that kind of a deal is hard to pass up. If the price difference is within 50$ or so, I buy locally to support the local shops. Also when dealing with their mail order sales department it seems like they don't know their ass end from their head. I would not expect much in the way of decent support from them once the rifle is in your hands. But I could be wrong.

As for the make and model of the rifle, the best thing to do is go into the shops and get a feel for them for yourself. A rifle should feel good in your hands. It's going to be in them a lot. Then research the ones you like on the net and see if their reputation holds up to your expectations of it.

adamb701
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
so i have narrowed it down to a package deal.i am not to sure about used rifles since i won't be able to test them.I'm going to get a savage or i was thinking.. have you heard of the vanguard varmint special?i could get that than throw on a used scope.

todbartell
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I wouldnt choose a varmint style gun - too heavy

adamb701
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
oh ok what is a good weight for a hunting gun.?

elkdom
11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Rifle weightshould suit the shooter , are you average size, weight, then a 9, 10 pound rifleis ok if the rifle is very light 6,7 pounds its gonna kick hard , but aheavy rifle 11 pounds and over is a tough one to pack all day or up a mountain!

PH Greg
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I would recommend staying away from hinged floorplate models. They are far too slow to load up if you spend time in a vehicle.. Get one with a Removable Magazine. Easier to clear and load.

todbartell
11-20-2007, 01:10 AM
I would recommend staying away from hinged floorplate models. They are far too slow to load up if you spend time in a vehicle.. Get one with a Removable Magazine. Easier to clear and load.

excellent point. Also quicker to unload if you're stopped by a CO :lol:

Scobo
11-20-2007, 08:25 AM
My advise is if you have a budget to get the least expensive gun (Savage - lots of arguement as to how good they are but if they shoot under a few inches at 100 yards then you have a good "hunting" rifle) and put a good scope on it. I learned my lesson the hard way as someone else mentioned here. I would go with a savage with a bushnell 3-9x40, 4200 elite (299USD including shipping from optics planet). And it is true, the scope is the most important part of a hunting gun. That is a package that will last you until/if you ever want to move up from a 308 and you can take the scope with you. Also, Hornady light magnum makes a load that is on par with the 30-06 and the bonus is the 308 is a short action. my .02 cents.

brian
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
oh ok what is a good weight for a hunting gun.?

That depends on your build, recoil sensitivity, and your style of hunting. If you are going to be staying put with a nice rest or road hunting, then weight won't matter as much. If you are going to be hauling the rifle around all over creation, still hunting, using uncertain rests, hiking in and out, hauling game out, then you want something that will be comfortable to carry. Believe me, after your third hour of still hunting and your hiking up hill, you are going to hate that heavy ass varmint barrel.

So weight is a trade off. The lighter the gun generally the greater the recoil. The heavier the recoil and the tougher it is for a new shooter to shoot strait. You'll also have a greater tendency to develop bad shooting habits. As a fairly new shooter myself I'd recommend something that is a light recoiling caliber, mid weight, feels good in your hands, fits you well, is well balanced, and has lots of easily available ammo that won't break the bank so that you can get lots of practice in with it.

Scobo
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
As far as recoil goes I have also been looking into the 7mm-08 for a mountain gun and would probably be a very good gun for a smaller person or beginner from what I have read. Go to chuckhawks webpage and you can get a TON of information on recoil, killing power, types of guns, etc, etc. a great webpage for doing research and a great spot to come up with a more educated decision.

puppychow
11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a 700 BDL Stainless that is new. I also own a blued whitworth express. I recently took my Whitworth up to northern B.C. and the elements were severe. I chose to purchase a stainless for easy care. The Remington firearms are a durable, accurate and the service is good. The SPS stainless is worth considering. Or any other Remington product. Happy hunting.

adamb701
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
do you think EBAY will give me a good deal on a scope? they have some nice rifleman scopes for pretty cheap.

todbartell
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
good prices, but illegal to bring them across the border without the paperwork

Tikka7mm
11-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Adamb701...try SIR mail order. Here is the link:

http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prodlist.php?category_id=10&subcat_id=30&PHPSESSID=60c9aea949297e51744e2a2ef12b319a (http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prodlist.php?category_id=10&subcat_id=30&PHPSESSID=60c9aea949297e51744e2a2ef12b319a)

They are pretty good and usually cheaper than wholesale sports.

I have a Bushnell 3x9x40 4200 series and I love it...it works just fine. Down the road I'll upgrade to Leupold VXIII or a VX-L. Depending on your experience, which I assume is limited, most of your shots will be within 200 yards and should be anyways until you feel comfortable shooting at further distances. A 3x9x40 is just fine for this range and will do the trick.

If you can afford it, stainless is less maintenance and synthetic is lighter but as mentioned lighter means more recoil. I had an after market recoil pad installed on mine and it helped with the recoil. Cost about 75 -100 bucks. A synthetic stock can also take more of a beating...not that you want to beat on your gun but synthetic will hold up better...won't look as bad if you scratch it and you will scratch it. Also at around 6.5 pounds it's great when you're hiking through the bush....nice and light. I have a Tikka T3 light 7mm rem mag stainless/synthetic. I learned to shoot on my gun a few years ago it kicks at the range but it's not as bad as you'd think.

After you familiarize yourself with your gun and you've sighted it in you'll mostly just be hunting in the bush except for the odd spring tune up at the range or before a prolonged hunting trip. Once you're out hunting you won't even feel the recoil...buck fever will take over. It doesn't matter if you're shooting a .243 or a .338; they all feel the same when you have one in your cross hairs and you squeeze one off; recoil won't matter. Anyways, 7mm rem mag is a good reliable gun and will kill almost anything...it's versatile as is a 308.

If I can give you any advice I would definitely say spend the extra money and get one with a removable clip. It's worth it. Having experienced the ease of a removable clip I wouldn't buy another gun without one. That's just my opinion. Anyways, I hoped this helped a bit. Good luck and keep us posted on whatever you decide. Cheers.

adamb701
11-24-2007, 09:46 AM
thanks.i heard of S.I.R mail order before.i looked there and they don't have SPS DM in 308.i don't think.

puppychow
11-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Wholesale sports have a 30-06 in their catalogue or a .308 with a hinge plate. I would call the wholesale sports in Kamloops, B.C. although they do not have mail order.

adamb701
11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
how much is it?

Scobo
11-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I bought my scope from the US. had it shipped to point roberts and picked it up and claimed it at the border with no problems at all this past spring. Therefore it isn't illegal to bring it across the border. And yes, prices are very good in the states. check out opticsplanet.com. i have bought a few things from them and they are great and prices include shipping.
Great advise on the selection Tikka7mm.

Tikka7mm
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
I bought my scope from the US. had it shipped to point roberts and picked it up and claimed it at the border with no problems at all this past spring. Therefore it isn't illegal to bring it across the border. And yes, prices are very good in the states. check out opticsplanet.com. i have bought a few things from them and they are great and prices include shipping.
Great advise on the selection Tikka7mm.

Thanks Scobo.

The Dawg
11-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Savage makes a great accurate rifle, but as tod said, the scope is garbage. My Savage is topped with the Rifleman and I love it.

adamb701
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Savage makes a great accurate rifle, but as tod said, the scope is garbage. My Savage is topped with the Rifleman and I love it.

i think this is what i am going to get.

adamb701
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
just bought stainless steel sps for 600$

McRackin
02-19-2008, 09:44 AM
im thinking of ordering a remington 700 in .308 calibre once i get my PAL

but you're looking at around $800 for the rifle and anywhere from $200 to $800 for a scope

then you're looking at $35 for a box of 20 ammunition unless you buy a reloading package for around $350 then you can reuse your 308's for around $0.50 / shot

Phil
02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I have the Rifleman scope you mentioned and like it. I also have a 308 and like it too. Both are good economical and reliable choices that will last a long time.

adamb701
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
i am going to buy a rifleman scope for 289$ from SIR mail order soon.

eaglesnester
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Buy a used rifle from the 60es or early 70es in bolt action. There are lots of them around that have hardly been fired. Good steel, solid wood stocks, good craftsmanship that can be missing in new rifles made today. On a used rifle, inspect the action, bore for wear (for rust pits and fouling) safety, to insure it has not been messed with, and check your trigger pull, does it creep or does it break clean and crisp? Does the rifle feel sweet when you throw it up on your shoulder? Stay away from light weight sporting barrels at all costs. They act like noodles when you fire them. Ask about the history of the rifle and why the owner is selling it. If you can, agree to buy the rifle, pay for it but ask the owner if you might return if if it will not group at the range after test firing. Use a set of sandbags or a shooters vice and good premium rounds get some 165gr, 180gr and 200gr to test. Its normal for a rifle to like one particular weight round. If it will not group 1 inch or less at 100 yards take it back to the owner. All of the advice on the web has been good stuff concerning this topic. You have some thinking to do. The 308 is an excellent choice for a starting shooter. I have found a Savage Mod 99 lever gun in 308 from the 60es that I am buying for the wife as she is in the process of taking her CORE. She is also a new shooter and except for shooting a coey 22 on the range a few times she has never fired a high powered rifle. The last time we were at the range she tried out my buddys 308 and was able to ring the bell at 100 yards off a sandbag. Good luck and tight groups in your quest. Cheers: Eaglesnester

ROM
03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Easy question:

Stevens topped with a leupold. 650 all in! you will be lethal to 250 yards off the bat and 350 with practice.
R

kutenay
03-05-2008, 06:38 AM
I don't know if the original poster has purchased a rifle yet, but, will offer some advice based on 50 years of shooting and ownership of well over 100 highend big game rifles during that time, I have cut down to 25 now, but, this is giving me heart palpitations.....

A .30-06 kicks about like a .308 and WILL push a heavier bullet quite a bit faster in barrels of the same length if loaded to equal pressures. Unless you are looking for a very light rifle, not so good for a novice's first rifle, there is NO advantage to buying a .308W. You CAN find MANY great used .30-06s out there and can get a GOOD, older Husqvarna FN actioned sporter for about $450.00.

THEN, listen to what todbartell said last fall and somehow buy a GOOD scope, Leupolds are often available used and they are excellent. You CAN put this all together over a bit of time and then add to it later, a synthetic stock, for example.

I have a gun collection now that is worth a LOT of money, I am not rich and I built it by learning about the guns, FIRST and then slowly buying what I wanted when I found something at a good price and deals are still out there, I pass up nice stuff every month. So, do not be stampeded into buying some cheap "package" rifle, find a nice used 06 and go from there.

Actually, I like to see beginners strat with a .270W and then go to a .338WM, my choice as the two "best" cartridges for B.C. hunting, especially for non-handloaders.

horshur
03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know if the original poster has purchased a rifle yet, but, will offer some advice based on 50 years of shooting and ownership of well over 100 highend big game rifles during that time, I have cut down to 25 now, but, this is giving me heart palpitations.....

A .30-06 kicks about like a .308 and WILL push a heavier bullet quite a bit faster in barrels of the same length if loaded to equal pressures. Unless you are looking for a very light rifle, not so good for a novice's first rifle, there is NO advantage to buying a .308W. You CAN find MANY great used .30-06s out there and can get a GOOD, older Husqvarna FN actioned sporter for about $450.00.

THEN, listen to what todbartell said last fall and somehow buy a GOOD scope, Leupolds are often available used and they are excellent. You CAN put this all together over a bit of time and then add to it later, a synthetic stock, for example.

I have a gun collection now that is worth a LOT of money, I am not rich and I built it by learning about the guns, FIRST and then slowly buying what I wanted when I found something at a good price and deals are still out there, I pass up nice stuff every month. So, do not be stampeded into buying some cheap "package" rifle, find a nice used 06 and go from there.

Actually, I like to see beginners strat with a .270W and then go to a .338WM, my choice as the two "best" cartridges for B.C. hunting, especially for non-handloaders.

Koot is giving some real good advice.....especially about the Husky in 30/06. It's what I will look for for my boy's when they leave home. Very good value for the money. Wish I had went that route myself. Would have saved me a bunch of money cause that's about the only rifle you would need for BC hunting.

adamb701
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I bought a Remington SPS stainless steel in 308 already, thanks a lot for all the advice you guys have given me. I got a great deal on Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.looking forward to using it this hunting season and hopefully getting my first deer!

quackquackbang
02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the new gun and an excellent scope!!!

7mag700
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I bought a Remington SPS stainless steel in 308 already, thanks a lot for all the advice you guys have given me. I got a great deal on Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.looking forward to using it this hunting season and hopefully getting my first deer!

Sounds like an awesome choice. Congrats and enjoy! :D

7m7

BCBRAD
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
i have a rem 700 BDL 3006 3x9 leupold talley mounts less than 200 rounds out of it for $800 to dealer. As new looks like new. at ominica sports Vanderhoof.

landphil
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I think you will like that scope - Elite sieries are excellent value for the money IMHO - happy shooting!

steelheadSABO
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
used is the way to go. if want a lever action you can get a savage 99 for around 200$if you can find a winchester model 88 they are great guns so are remington 700s and winchester mod 70s

eaglesnester
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I say Remington BDL in 308. It will be slightly more than $650, around 100 bucks more. You will love this rifle in 22 inch barrel. Light, hardly kicks, well balanced, quick to get on target, and accurate like stink. I bought this rifle for the old lady in 30/06 and she loves it. 3/4" groups at 100. No sweat.

adamb701
02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
what base and rings should i buy?

adamb701
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
What rings and bases should I buy

Gateholio
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Call OSFS at 1 866 567 9885

Ask for tod bartell, and get him to send you some talley Lightweights.